PDA

View Full Version : Sampling thread removal

Jackonicko
4th Dec 2006, 12:11
Thanks to Archimedes, Beagle, Blacksheep, Chairborne 0900, Flatiron, keithl, mcs7, Mike Jenvey, Pontius Navigator, redsetter, Shack, ZH875, for their valuable input on the historic aspects of the role (Vulcan and before).

I deleted the thread because two recent posters started straying too close to current capabilities and recent ops for my comfort, and with a negative effect on some folk's blood pressure. These capabilities may have been widely reported elsewhere, but in this instance, I thought it better that such reports were not repeated with an extra perceived credibility being provided by PPRuNe's first hand experts.

FJJP
4th Dec 2006, 13:43
Well done, Jacko.

It's good to see a responsible journalist take self-moderation so seriously.

Pity some others don't think before they post...

FJJP

Jackonicko
4th Dec 2006, 13:47
Thanks, chum.

We're not all utter tos.sers, y'know.

I'm only 75% tos.ser.

Magic Mushroom
4th Dec 2006, 13:50
Good call.

MM

BEagle
4th Dec 2006, 18:57
Hey Jacko - good call!

It is really good to know that RESPONSIBLE journos know what is - and what isn't - acceptable.

I suspect that you've just raised the general perception of aviation journos immeasurably.....

Aeronut
4th Dec 2006, 19:00
Begs the question - what on earth was a journo dabbling in this anyway? :rolleyes:

Oh you are so responsible! :ugh:

ShyTorque
4th Dec 2006, 22:36
Did someone tell "them" we no longer have Vulcans, then? Oops... :ooh:

Don't tell 'em your name, Pike!

P.S. Well done Jacko. :ok:

Jackonicko
4th Dec 2006, 23:02
"What on earth was a journo dabbling in this anyway?"

His job.

This journo is writing up a story that has been very widely reported elsewhere. "Horse on the loose since August, stable door found open..." While there are stories that we might prefer were not told at all, once they are this widespread, the reasonable approach is for responsible journos to report them accurately, and to strive to do so in a way which does not cause further damage.

This journo's editor has checked with DA Mod (the former D Notice people) who judged that the proposed piece didn't threaten national security, and that there was no official objection to it.

This journo asked some questions aimed at clarifying the historical perspective, up to about 1985, and was careful to avoid highlighting the present capablity, if there is one, on PPRuNe, and was eager to avoid a situation in which it could be thought that anyone here was giving credence to reports about current matters .... When that appeared to be getting close, this journo closed the thread.

There's no call for either :rolleyes: or :ugh:

brickhistory
4th Dec 2006, 23:09
"He's a witch.....burn 'im!" :}

Violet Club
5th Dec 2006, 12:27
He turned me into a newt!

BluntedAtBirth
5th Dec 2006, 15:56
Good call, Jackonicko.

On the other hand, how do you know that they were telling you what you arent supposed to know...

Sushi at the Christmas Draw on Friday, I hear.

Aeronut
6th Dec 2006, 08:54
:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Jackonicko
6th Dec 2006, 09:23
:D :hmm:

80% tosser, Aeronut?

You must be a journo too?

Albeit a very slow one.

:= :{ :8 :yuk: :zzz: ;) :ok:

Aeronut
6th Dec 2006, 12:26
Journo, me - how dare you!

Its closer to 74%.

BEagle