PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth Challenge!

3rd Dec 2006, 14:05
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/9867/untitledes1.th.png (http://img153.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitledes1.png)

Around this area in Australia, the ITV show 'I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here' is produced. The show is set in the 'jungle' on the border between NSW and Queensland. On Friday night it came to the end of its 6th series.

My challenge is that you try and find the site on Google Earth.
The site of the show should be visible on Google Earth by the vast site they have and because of the metal bridges they have on the site itself.

Places to search for and around are:

'Murwillumbah and Dungay'. These are the two nearest settlements or towns and before, the presenters of the show, Ant & Dec have said the site is in or around 'Dungay Creek'.

Please post your results, I myself have been looking a while now! :ok:

tony draper
3rd Dec 2006, 14:12
Good idea, then we could program the coordinates into one of our Trident Two's and the winner would get to push the launch button.
:E

jay_hl
3rd Dec 2006, 14:50
Dont forget Google Earth is a good few year out of date.

You only have to look at Manchester to see that the second runway is only just being built. This must put the Manchester images at around Feb 2001.

Dont know if the Australian ones are any more recent! But Im a Celeb certainly wasnt around in 2001!

3rd Dec 2006, 15:02
Thanks for the replies! ;)

Raises question is there an updated version of Google Earth available to download or does it get updated automaticly? I think it is the latter as parts of Gatwick are now zoomable and not blurry. :)

Jerricho
3rd Dec 2006, 17:10
Murwillumbah is just under the "2006 Europa Technologies" text at the bottom of the picture. Dungay (281626.94S 1532140.46E) is up to the north-west, in that horseshoe basin just south of the border line.

ExSimGuy
3rd Dec 2006, 18:09
The sat imagery is indeed updated periodically. The golf course that has my house on it wasn't even visible 6-12 months ago, but now much better imagery has been made available and I can pick out my house,and each of the 9 greens!

I believe that "areas of strategic importance" get updated more (Baghdad, the "oil areas" on the Saudi East Coast, etc)

I understand that the wadi where I live was (or is!) a suspected location for some of the "lunatic fringe",so it wouldn't surprise me if the Yanks hadn't done a high-res pass for this reason as a courtesy to the Saudi Security Forces.

This would account for the excellent picture quality now available!

frostbite
3rd Dec 2006, 18:15
There's always the chance that you should be keying in the co-ordinates of a studio set.

McAero
3rd Dec 2006, 18:58
Check out www.192.com. Far better than google earth!!! :ok:

miikey
3rd Dec 2006, 19:12
count me in for this challenge,,and if i find it ill post it :ok:
i probally wont though,,i had a hard enough time trying to find ayres rock.

Loose rivets
3rd Dec 2006, 19:25
I've got it!! I can see a Celebrity waving....I can just read their lips...Yes! they are saying...

Get me out of here!!!

G-CPTN
3rd Dec 2006, 19:39
Thought it was "We're the Fookawi . . . . "

miikey
3rd Dec 2006, 22:25
Before any one asks or thinks...yes your right in thinking i have nothing better else to do apart from have a wild goose chase on Google Earth.

But this is what ive found after fumbling about for a good 15 min:ugh: ,
a large section of map (NSW) isnt updated and out of resolution so i think it would be impossible to find the camp site even with the big shiny metal bridges. The map below is a close-up cause i dont wanna give to much away...:E :ok:
http://img474.imageshack.us/img474/5719/dungaypx5.jpg

stagger
4th Dec 2006, 00:43
This Google Earth thingy has shown how daft it is for people to make statements like....

"The [insert spectacular natural feature or landmark] is so large it's actually visible from space".:rolleyes:

Google Earth has shown that you can see the individual paving stones in my lawn from space!!!!:p

R4+Z
4th Dec 2006, 08:31
Michael Watterston

You don't think the coordinates shown on the bottom of your close up give anything away do you????

G-CPTN
4th Dec 2006, 15:19
Here's a funny thing. Clouds blurring the view at 56 03 42 N 4 49 10 W
How come Ivan's toys don't get cloud too?

airmail
4th Dec 2006, 15:30
Jay_hl
Anorak on
Actually the series started in 2000, the list of winners from the BBC website is:
'Carol Thatcher, daughter of former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, won the last I'm a Celebrity series in 2005.
DJ Tony Blackburn won the first series in 2000, followed by former cricketer Phil Tufnell, former pop star Kerry Katona and comedian Joe Pasquale.'
Anorak off

greycoat
4th Dec 2006, 18:35
Slightly off thread, but G-CPTN if you look at 51 22 04N 1 08 34W, then, in full sunshine, you can see where some of the stuff visits.

G-CPTN
4th Dec 2006, 18:59
Not without overnighting at 55 01 35 N 1 52 11 W.
Unfortunately this is in the 'disputed' lands, and therefore not worthy of high resolution. In my young day it was the local RAF station where 'air experience' flights were based, along with UAS Chippies.

miikey
4th Dec 2006, 19:21
Michael Watterston

You don't think the coordinates shown on the bottom of your close up give anything away do you????

i knew some one was gona say that,,and yes just after a wrote that reply post, i thought well it was a pointless thing to say.

well that me being clever for ya:E :ugh:

4th Dec 2006, 19:29
Michael Watterston

That does indeed appear to be possibly the site, as I say I don't myself know! I hope they get better resolution on that area bit of fun for me! :}

rustle
4th Dec 2006, 23:08
a large section of map (NSW) isnt updated and out of resolution so i think it would be impossible to find the camp site even with the big shiny metal bridges.

The fact that the "IAC,GMOH" site is in Queensland might make it a bit harder to find in NSW as well - shiny metal bridges notwithstanding. ;)

matt_hooks
4th Dec 2006, 23:13
Some rather good example of the hardened shelter here

51 22 21.19 N 1 08 13.75 W

RAC/OPS
5th Dec 2006, 11:04
Don't watch the show, but on the occasions that it's been on as I channel hop, it seems to be a very quiet jungle - no cicada or other insect noises that you would expect! Studio as someone else has suggested.

The SSK
5th Dec 2006, 11:32
Google Earth - all that investment, all that technology, all that functionality - and this is the use it gets put to.
If the pictures are coming from a spy-in-the-sky satellite, does that mean Big Brother is watching ... Big Brother?

panda-k-bear
5th Dec 2006, 12:29
Actually the full 2nd runway at MAN is there (going bac a few posts, sorry!). But the ends of the runway were shot on different days by the looks of things - firstly the contrast is different (differnt time of day or weather giving different lighting conditions) and 06R can be used whilst 24L is out of use....

I have to say that I do like the slight kink in the runway just in the "light" area. Didn't do a very good job on that runway, did they?

I really should find better things to do with my time....

5th Dec 2006, 15:30
The SSK:
What do you use Google Earth for lol? :\

Can't be a studio, can see the sky, plants, vehicles, soil everything would be serious viewer plumet if it was a studio!

greycoat
5th Dec 2006, 18:57
G-CPTN, can't remember if anything ever overnighted whilst the 93 was still there, but it always seemed a curious thing to have so close to the toys despite assurances that it would be switched off.

miikey
5th Dec 2006, 19:02
The SSK:
What do you use Google Earth for lol? :\

Can't be a studio, can see the sky, plants, vehicles, soil everything would be serious viewer plumet if it was a studio!

Apart from the slight fun of finding your house theres not much else, i havent used it since i made this thread:hmm:

5th Dec 2006, 21:39
Well the winner is Michael Watterston......:} :E