PDA

View Full Version : GSS (Global Supply Systems) Pay etc?

noblues
3rd Dec 2006, 10:36
Does anyone know the Captains starting pay with GSS?

Also ...
Allowances ?
Typical UK take home?
Days off per/month ?
Standard of Hotels?
Routes?
How much positioning?
Leave?

Is it true their is no salary until final line check passed?

Thanks

Captain Airclues
3rd Dec 2006, 10:45
noblues

GSS doesn't hire Direct Entry Captains. Apart from the guys seconded from BA, all promotions are internal.

Airclues

noblues
3rd Dec 2006, 10:50
I know ... I'm BA !

Dan Winterland
3rd Dec 2006, 13:29
Then don't expect many helpful replies from the F/Os!

banana head
3rd Dec 2006, 16:07
No Blues,

FOAC have the info you seek! :hmm:

BH

Excalaba
5th Dec 2006, 00:45
No Blues - You will have no mates down route. Loanly life if only two crew::sad:

5th Dec 2006, 09:20
Excalaba

If HE doesn't have any "mates down route", and it's only two crew. Then neither will his co have any mates.

So it's dinner for one, for two then!

Are GSS co-pilots really so pathetic?

PS. Try getting yourself a decent spellchecker!

classic crew
5th Dec 2006, 13:11
It will be interesting to see what happens to the secondees when GSS start flying the passenger -400 for another company as is being talked about.

Whilst I'm sure our management will want the secondees to operate them, its not BA work so at least there might be some command slots for GSS f/o's. If there are any left by then.

boeing737-700
5th Dec 2006, 20:48
Hello Classic Crew,

Do you know which company they will be operating the -400 pax. flights for?

First I have heard about this venture.....

Regards,:cool:

Excalaba
5th Dec 2006, 21:29
4468 - looks like I have touched a nerve. Could not speak for GSS co-pilots - pathetic !!

396.8T
6th Dec 2006, 01:50
I too left GSS and have to say had the pleasure of meeting a lot of good people including the BA guys on secondment but at the end of the day when it all came out in the wash as to how the secondment issue was handeled by "yours aye" the crocodile tears were the last straw and history seems to be repeating itself again:ugh:

Regis Potter
6th Dec 2006, 18:03
No Blues - You will have no mates down route

That's alright - he doesn't have any mates at home either :}

Shanwick Shanwick
6th Dec 2006, 21:25
Anyone going to answer the original question?

noblues
7th Dec 2006, 11:43
I was hoping to avoid the FO/GSS command debate here! I do feel very sorry for them but its not me who has made the rules .....

banana head - Thanks got the stuff from FOAC ...

Re. Secondees for >3yrs ... even if they were strict about that under the BALPA/BA scope agreement they would just be replaced by more of the same .. in many ways you cant blame GSS management for wanting to hang onto people they know and are a known quantity.

Anyone care to comment on lifestyle/rosters etc?

Twin2040
18th Jan 2007, 06:08
Hi I can see that GSS are looking for pilots in FI - did a check on PPJN - seems last update is from 2005 - any news on T and C to share. Thanks.

skywaytoheaven
18th Jan 2007, 09:26
I did a search, it appears to be a good job but with a few negatives (as with all companies):
Apparently the basic is quite low: (rumoured)£38k with £2 duty pay. Also, from what i read a rather solitary lifestyle and alot of positioning on long haul flights. Then there is the well documented BA secondee problem, so a long time to upgrade - if any upgrade at all.
Oh, and no staff travel
I hope this list doesn't get any longer.....

Dan Winterland
21st Jan 2007, 05:18
I suspect Oasis have taken quite a few GSS F/Os. Oasis are a LCO, but their pay starts at GBP 50K with reasonable command prospects. GSS will soon learn that they can't pay peanuts and expect anyone but the monkeys to stay in the current climate. And having to advertise for non-type rated pilots for a 744 operation in Flight speaks volumes!

Twin2040
21st Jan 2007, 07:02
Hi and tanks for the reply. It seems like T and C are pretty much the same as last time they where hiring. Even that I am qualified - according to FI add - I am not going to. To few days of at homebase etc .... long list with not so nice things. Thanks again.

24 Hour Clock
23rd Jan 2007, 01:48
Dan Winterland - Yes you are right almost 25% of the First Officers at GSS have either left or resigned in the past few months and many more reconsidering their future following a very late announcement by management a week ago.

Quote from Flight International: "Global Supply Systems is an expanding cargo operator flying to world wide destinations" - Fact they are NOT expanding, they operate 3 x 744F's and have done so for the past 4 years. Any expansion will be dictated by the renewal of a contract with BA world cargo, which to date expires in July 2007.

Gavin Sweet
26th Jan 2007, 10:11
Could anyone expand on what the roster is like, typical days off in a month and time spent off at home, hours flown in a year? Would appreciate it,. Thanks.

banana head
28th Jan 2007, 20:22
Yes GSS do promote their own F/O's.
The scope agreement allows for a percentage of commands to go to BA secondees because GSS operate BA freighter services.
I fail to see how this is the ba problem
:yuk:

banana head
28th Jan 2007, 22:33
Why thank you for raising the tone of this thread Mr. Jet.
What you clearly fail to recognise is that without the BA contract there wouldn't be any work for GSS - thus no commands at all. :yuk:
I don't particularly like the system in place either, and would much rather have BA operate their own freighter fleet while allowing GSS to grow it's business separately, but the current arrangement seems to suit the upper levels at both organisations. GSS get the franchise work while BA save on operating their own services.
If you feel so strongly against this convenient little set-up why no try writing to BA, GSS and BALPA and sharing your viewpoint with those who decided upon it?
Maybe even write to the CAA who ultimately approve the C of A for each of the 744F's??
Just be sure to refrain from such language if you want any of them to take your gripe seriously :E

classic crew
29th Jan 2007, 13:09
To try to answer the original question with facts not gossip.

Starting pay for an F/O £ 38, 720. approx 4% increment increase each year.

Per Deims £ 2.00 per hour (tax free) from on duty time at Stansted till return to Stansted.

Company will contribute 5% to pension IF you contribute at least 5%. The company 5% will not vary even if you put 15% in.

Company provide Loss of licence, Medical, Critical illness and Death in service insurances.

20 days leave per year plus an additional 8 days for Bank Holidays.

Rostered for 18 days per month including standbys. No bidding system. Longest trip is 11 days away from base.

Standby requires crew to be within 4 hours of Stansted. Does not seem to apply to non UK based pilots.

Approx 350 - 500 flying hours per year.

Due to the over 60's ruling it is unlikly that there will be any upgrades for youngish F/O's for some considerable time as there are about 9 F/O's that are over 60 waiting to get back to the left seat. All of whom are ahead of the younger F/O's.

Since June last year 21 pilots have left GSS, only 3 of which have retired, all others have moved to other companies.

GSS employs approx 105 pilots (including BA secondees).

CC

Gavin Sweet
29th Jan 2007, 20:36
Thanks for the info. Do you know what the bond is and how long?

classic crew
29th Jan 2007, 22:37
The bond is for £25,000 and is over 5 years decreasing annually unless you leave within the first two years in which case the full amount is payable.

But, some of the recent leavers have had their last months salary withheld " in lieu of monies owed to GSS". This could be viewed as the bond being cleared by payment of approx £3200.

The secondment agreement is for BA first officers to have 2/3 rds of all new commands at GSS until they have 50% of the total. After that it will be split 50 / 50. If the tie up with Flyme actually takes place then the extra commands generated will not count towards this BA figure.

CC

Jack's a dull boy
30th Jan 2007, 07:29
If the tie up with Flyme actually takes place then the extra commands generated will not count towards this BA figure.

I will eat my hat if that tie up happens.

They ain't getting the ex ANA 744s, thats for sure - They've already been bought.

classic crew
30th Jan 2007, 16:20
Jack
I have no idea if the FlyMe deal will go ahead or not, and as GSS crew no longer get issued hats I will not be able to follow your example. But if it does, then Atlas will be supplying the aircraft not FlyMe.

Rumour has it that Atlas have 2 passenger -400's in the desert waiting for slots to convert them to freighters. IF the FlyMe thing goes ahead it is those that would get used as they would be able to generate some money for Atlas instead of sitting idle for a while.
CC

RAFAT
31st Jan 2007, 00:06
No hats??? :{

centerline
3rd Feb 2007, 15:20
As for the FlyMe deal, well,... go to the Nordic forum and read the thread about them... (though you may not understand the language, the last 3 lines are in English and very interesting regarding the potential cooperation with GSS.....) Brace brace!... :uhoh:

skyblue
7th Feb 2007, 22:52
Hi Guys.

Have been called for an interview with GSS based in Stansted but have found info about their recruitment process pretty hard to come by. Would anyone have any info about the format of their recruitment day - assume it's an interview and if successful a sim check. Any info would be great if anyone else has been called.

Cheers

skyblue

Dan Winterland
8th Feb 2007, 02:11
I was interviewd for their initial recruitment in 2002. It was under half an hour, no difficult questions. But I was type rated on the 744 and its probably changed by now. You would get more response if you asked this question on the freight dogs forum as I doubt the GSS guys would be reading this. Do a search and you will find more on the company.

helldog
8th Feb 2007, 09:56
My experience with GSS and advice to anyone who meets the 'minimums'
I visited their website and note that they were looking for f/os I met their minimums so I applied knowing my chances would be slim, then a week later I saw their ad in Flight which saw my chance diminish even more.
I thought I would follow up my application with a phone call. I managed to speak to a chap who was very accomodating and willing to talk to me, as I am just finding my feet here un the UK he gave me some good info. Then he basicaly told me that I had about as much chance as doing a **** from Tower Bridge into a tea cup placed on a moving boat! That means that I didnt have much chance!
Anyway it sounded like they had loads of applicants with thousands of jet hours. It might save them some reading time if they just put up their minimums a bit.
To all those lucky enough to get a look in congrats and enjoy. BTW 38 720 sounds damn good to me, its 38720 more than I am getting now:{

Excalaba
8th Feb 2007, 16:50
Skyblue- Interview is fairly standard. Expect 3 x management bods on the panel. Normally a pilot, the ops manager and an other. Variety of Q,S but not designed to trip you up. They are basically looking to see if you are the type of Pilot that would fit in with their long haul cargo operation.

A lot of GSS Co Pilots are leaving, so before you sign anything ask yourself why!!! There is plenty of information to be found on previous threads. Good luck with the interview.

Ex- CAL -a -BA

Stingray
1st Mar 2007, 14:13
FlyMe Europe's shareholder assembly has yesterday approved a joint venture with GSS. Important to know is that FlyMe Europe is an investment company, and not the airline which is FlyMe Sweden AB.
That means that the joint venture will not directly be FlyMe Swedens business.

The project is to fly from April 2008 with two 747-400's low cost long range, in winter from Sweden to Asia, and in Summer, from apparently the UK to the US. They want to use the brand name FlyMe.

But right now there is a problem with 30 Mio SEK (3 Mio EUR) in shares which are not covered. Why the main investor, Christer Ager Hansson signed for them, and is not coming up with the money is unknown. The money should have been paid in yesterday according to the rules of that emission.

FlyMe airline should reach profitability in the second quarter, but with all this turbulence around the investors, it will be difficult to keep the booking figures up as planned...

2nd Mar 2007, 07:54
Press release Fly Me Sweden AB
Gothenburg, March 2, 2007

The low fare airline Fly Me Sweden AB intends to file for bankruptcy

Fly Me Sweden AB’s ticket sales is to 95 percent made on the website with various payment cards. The bank handling these transactions has presently more than MSEK 60 on blocked accounts as security for claimed payment responsibility to, among others, the consumers and others having paid for journeys not yet made.

The bank has informed the board for Fly Me Sweden AB that they don’t intend to continue ticket sales from 11 am, March 2, 2007, unless the parent company Fly Me Europe AB can demonstrate payment of the remaining amount of the rights issue and that they consequently have been able to close the present rights issue.

The board of Fly Me Europe AB has announced to the board of Fly Me Sweden AB that they haven’t been able to close the rights issue yet, and that they haven’t got any objective proof that the payment will be made in a way so that the rights issue can be closed within the deadline set by the bank.And therefore, the board of Fly Me Sweden AB has decided with immediate effect to seize the ticket sales and to suspend all flights, leaving all aircrafts on their home bases.

The board of Fly Me Sweden AB intends, as soon as possible, to file for bankruptcy.

The board of Fly Me Sweden AB wants to extend its gratitude to the new management and all FlyMe staff, who with great dedication in a short while has been able to position this young company to profitable operation this year.

Finally, we are sorry for all inconvenience caused to persons who will not be able to travel as planned with FlyMe.

The board of Fly Me Sweden AB
Gothenburg, March 2, 2007

Thats all very strange???

Stingray
2nd Mar 2007, 08:14
So he didn't pay. The question is now if the 40 Mio SEK (4 Mio EUR) that the GSS joint venture should get will still be transferred.
The Investmentcompany FlyMe Europe is not bankrupt, lot's of work for the courts I guess...