PDA

View Full Version : Kemble 2/12/06

Heavy Metal!!
2nd Dec 2006, 21:56
Hey all,

Took a trip over to Kemble this afternoon, saw alot of light aircraft traffic, at one time six aircraft were in the circuit. Besides this there were the usual suspects on the scrapheap, the Lockheed jetstar I saw there a month ago is now completely canabalised ant it looks like the Austrain Arrows CRJ-100 is soon to follow.

To my surprise when driving around the airfied perimeter was a Bristol Brittania parked up on the tarmac towards the base enterance, can anybody shed any light on this impressive aircraft?

I stayed in the main parking spot off of the main road alongside the runway for the first part of my visit, later I managed to get around to the other side of the airfield down a small lane. This bought me out near the large hangar besides the european 747, whilst driving alon the main road on this otherside of the airfield i noticed a hanger with several classic aircraft types out side it. Noticably were Hawker Hunter, Sea Prince and a westland scout? Is this part of the airfield a museum and is it possible to get to (legally!!).

Regards

HM!!

GBALU53
3rd Dec 2006, 07:02
Heavy Metal

Ref the Britannia at Kemble there should be two aircraft, there owned by the Britannia Aircraft Preservation Trust there web details are www.xm496.com.

The two aircraft are or should be XM496 in RAF Transport Command and G-ANCF.

These aircraft were passed on from the Bristol Aero Collection who needed to find a new home hence the move to Kemble.

Hope this is some help.

Long live a Brit maybe one day XM496 might get into the air?? (DREAM):ok: :ok: