PDA

View Full Version : A Plea to all wouldbe Army QHIs

Cheesegorgehingme
2nd Dec 2006, 21:44
Before even entering into negotiations with your Sqn Comd regarding any inspirations to go QHI, STOP, AND ASK YOURSELF THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS!!!!!...... a. Are you successful in your current Sqn role? b. Do you have less than 6 years to push to your IPP and are you hoping to gain promotion before then? c.Do you have a fundamental problem with dropping to an arbitrary low CR grade during your probationary/consolidation time at EGVP (normally 18-24 months)?Do you have a heart condition? (sorry PJ, hope you're recovering well buddy, but Flying Wing personnel mis-management is not for the faint hearted)

If you have answered YES to any of these questions, think again, or at least book some "work experience" time in and about Flying Wing before committing yourself to the course (which incidentally was extremely enjoyable and breathtakingly well organised/executed by CFS(H)...but don't let that sway you)

Any thoughts regarding my observations of this issue are appreciated within this forum

Long live the memory of Ben

wg13_dummy
2nd Dec 2006, 22:19
It’s not exactly a secret that QHI's generally get career fouled, especially during their time at Wallop. Star amongst stars is the old cliché.

One should not go on a QHI course if one wishes to have rapid promotion (unless of course you are a blue eyed boy and your turds smell of rose petals). The reason why one should go to the dark side should be because one wishes to teach. That’s the sentimental line out of the way anyway.

The 'Corps' still doesn’t realise why they cannot retain QHI's. More importantly, experienced QHI's.

My advice to you, Cheesegorgehingme, is to get out of SAAVN as quickly as you can. Do the minimum time possible at the school then get yourself to a Sqn.

There is rumour that the QHI world will be awarded certain incentives in the near future. I know, we've been hearing this for years but I think due to the chronic shortage of QHI's, it may become a reality sooner rather than later.

I would still recommend chaps push for QHI but with the caveat that they should aim to stay at Wallop for as little time as possible. Aim to upgrade at the earliest opportunity. At least then, you have a bit more of a say in your career.

cobaltfrog
3rd Dec 2006, 12:32
Frontseater

You are more than welcome to visit us at JHC and I will show you Lots of Staff Officers with operational experience in the last 5 years!! More than happy to discuss your woes.

CF

Tourist
3rd Dec 2006, 13:45
cobalt.

Ha HaHa HaHa HaHa HaHa HaHa Ha!!http://bestsmileys.com/lol/1.gif

There may be many at JHC, but Please Please tell me you are not putting yourself in that "operational experience" bracket.

Jeep
3rd Dec 2006, 14:08
Cheese:

There is plenty of evidence to suggest going QHI is good for your career. Like all things, there are exceptions. Promotion depends on the individual, how he/she performs, the CR that their chain of command writes and an element of luck. In my experience I generally see QHI doing well, and certainly no worse than staying as a line pilot. Overall good soldiers/officers get promoted, there are always exceptions.

FS:

I am going to guess you are not a QHI. Are you an AI? I bet it feels good to get that all off your shoulder/chest.

I was recently at Rucker when the operational pilots started filtering into the school for courses, either to go back to their units, or remain at the school. Without a doubt the school gains from the operational experiences that those aircrew brought with them. On the whole a positive step. The AC Comd from the tractor vid was one of my students on the Rucker IP course, learnt some very good operational stuff from him.

Our Lynx and Gazelle fleet has been putting that experience into the school here in the UK for some time. Of course the AH community will in time, but lets face it, the first AH Regt has not even finished it's first deployment yet. When it does, I am sure there will be suitable aircrew to either go onto QHI courses, AI courses or go into standards. There is an SO3 Weapons post in standards just begging for the right AI or AH pilot with operational experience, but my guess is, the unit in question might just miss him or her right now.

QHI mafia? Does that make me the don, at least a captain surely? All aircrew instruction comes under the CFS umbrella. CFS ethos, principles, standardisation and techniques. CFS know what they are doing where airborne instruction is concerned. Are you saying that AAC AI should have their own system? The courses are based out of SAAvn, instructed by appropriate instructors and checked by CFS Agents. Is that a poor way of doing it?

If you are being bullied, then you let me know. We don't stand for that in this family. Before you disappear into the witness protection programme though, get in touch. Wallop 4653. Always willing to discuss the matter. If you are presently on Ops, then feel free to PM me, or you can continue to belly ache in public on here.

PS is cheesegorge your other login, so you could start the thread?

Jeep

vecvechookattack
3rd Dec 2006, 14:44
Of course you could always complete the QHI's course and then resign and join the Royal Navy....Nah, that would never happen.

MINself
3rd Dec 2006, 14:59
Wow Jeep that sounds like a party political broadcast by AAC Flying Standards, sounding more like an assesment from that famous Political Ali

"There are no, nor have there ever been any problems with the system" :suspect:

FS, thats you told to get back in your box then or else ring Wallop QMs dept :\ well that explains why some of the directives are so well thought out.

Front Seater
3rd Dec 2006, 15:01
Vec,

Huh? Sorry lost me? I wish I could have been given the chance earlier on in my career for a QHI course if that is your point? :confused:

Jeep,

Please dont see this as an attack on the QHI fraternity, far from it - just that I see a significant number of well trained and experienced people leaving the Corps when a proper AI career structure and employement across all ranks may keep them in at a crucial time and alleviate the well documented QHI shortage.

However, I can see that I am hitting some raw nerves and will therefore delete my posts above and let Cheesemonkey fight his own battle.

Good luck :)

Jeep
3rd Dec 2006, 15:47
FS: There has recently been an Army QHI grad that was not allowed to go onto AH so jumped over to the Navy.

No need to delete the post, im happy to debate it.

Do you think the AI structure will stop those that are leaving? AI courses have been under-subscribed so far.

Minself:

Nothings perfect eh?

jeep

Mmmmnice
3rd Dec 2006, 17:37
is there a parallel thread running on ARSSE? (sorry, too lazy to look) - must say it's all fascinating stuff; from a light blue perspective. All I expected to get, when I finished my beefers course, was more abuse than normal! - and more peroidic cx of competency ....naturally? Needless to say I thought I'd never get promoted - a thought also held by my first 2 ROs!.....must have been a power surge down at Innsworth.

Arthur's Wizard
3rd Dec 2006, 18:41
Cheese;

I've probably never met you, but I know you so well. That's because you're in every crewroom, in every Stn/Regt and in every other walk of life.

You complain you never get promoted and as a result, you probably never will.

You complain you don't get the CR you deserve, and will still be complaining when you get the same grade next year.

You tell whoever will listen that you will leave as soon as you have your pension, but will bite the hand off that offers you LSL or continuation.

etc

etc

I spent 5 years at Wallop and I have to say that my peers and I did very well out of CR's and promotion and as a result, it was often said that we only got it because we were QHI's. Funny how things change depending on your perspective.

I only hope that you are not passing on your 'positive attitude' to your 'lucky' students. You know, the one's that only get one shot at this, the one's that rely on your experience and advice to get them through the over extended course and the one's that generally hang on every word that you tell them because you're exactly where they are working so hard to be.

I agree with pretty much everything Jeep said above. Not because I obey the party line without question, but because I believe that you can achieve anything you want in this world as long as you want it badly enough. Alternatively, you can blame everyone else for your shortcomings and you will will achieve precisely what you deserve to achieve.

Two's in
3rd Dec 2006, 20:21
Vocation: A vocation is an occupation, either professional or voluntary, that is seen more to those who carry it out than simply financial reward. Vocations can be seen as providing a psychological or spiritual need for the worker, and are often assumed to carry some form of altruistic intent. The term can also be used to describe any occupation for which a person is specifically gifted, and usually implies that the worker has a form of "calling" for the task.

Job: A means of providing Beer Tokens.

Probably best to check these definitions before leaving for Shropshire, rather than after.

Cheesegorgehingme
4th Dec 2006, 22:21
Thank you for all of your suppositions as to my lack of;

a.morale fibre
b.professionalism
c.success regarding promotion

Unfortunately you've got the wrong end of the stick old bean. My observations regarding the CURRENT personnel mismanagement situation in SAAvn, are not viewed from an unsuccessful and bitter man's perspective; quite the contrary (and definately won't be needing to take up the LSL/continuation hand biting offer).

Things have clearly changed since your successful stint there (but i'm really glad it worked out for you because you sound like a thoroughly amiable chap...five years is a long time at SAAvn.. did you ever get out to a Sqn QHI job?). I am under no illussions that i can change the current status quo, but i can highlight the fact that there are CURRENTLY pitfalls for QHIs during the propationary period spent at SAAvn .....Pitfalls that may be important for wouldbe QHIs to consider depending on there professional/ personal circumstances that they might not otherwise be aware of.

Wg13: thanks for your adult and objective comments.

Front seater: missed your offending post...send it to me if you still have it.

Two's in: You should write novels...your words are not wasted on me, thank you