PDA

View Full Version : Mobile phone query

wasdale
2nd Dec 2006, 19:35
Not about computers, but still electronics.

My mobile can indicate a fully charged battery, but when I take or make a call it bleeps, tells me the battery is dead and switches off. This when I would expect a good charge still to be in it.
Do I have a duff battery or a duff phone?:confused:

rotorcraig
2nd Dec 2006, 20:03
What make & model of phone, and how long have you had it?

Could be either the phone or the battery, but if it's an old-tech battery that you have had for a reasonably long time then it could well be suffering from "memory effect" whereby it can only use a small percentage of it's original capacity.

RC

Gertrude the Wombat
2nd Dec 2006, 22:28
Sounds like a dead battery.

(There are other exciting things that I've seen like a mismatch between the software in the battery (really!) and the software in the phone, but I saw that with dodgy pre-production prototype hardware whilst they were still trying to come up with a battery design that worked at all, you really shouldn't encounter it in the field.)

planecrazy.eu
5th Dec 2006, 14:47
Second that, sure it is the battery, i had the same problem with my old Nokia, the batterys are great, i recon i charged mine around 600 or so times as i killed it each day as i use it alot, so i think thats good, Nokia say the like is variable but expect around 360 charges, so one a day for a year.

One trick i found towards the end was when it says fully charged, take the charger out while the phone is off (charge the phone off) and then plug the charged back in. I found that i would get the full message, then if i took the charger out, put it back in a few minutes later it would charge again for 20 mins and then say full, and i just repeated this, and it seemed to work ok, the like was never the same, but i got a fair few hours out of it.