PDA

View Full Version : Balloon 'driver'?

MadsDad
2nd Dec 2006, 09:28
I just heard something on the radio that the title of the person who flies a balloon is 'balloon driver', not 'balloon pilot' (as I had always thought, since it is a flying machine they are in charge of). Can any balloonist confirm (or deny) this?

(If true it will shorty be appearing as a question in a quiz near me).

treadigraph
2nd Dec 2006, 10:42
I heard the item too, it surprised me too - balloon driver? No, sounds wrong to me... The "pilot" sounded English but it was in Southern Africa somewhere.

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
2nd Dec 2006, 13:50
I just heard something on the radio that the title of the person who flies a balloon is 'balloon driver', not 'balloon pilot' (as I had always thought, since it is a flying machine they are in charge of). Can any balloonist confirm (or deny) this?
(If true it will shorty be appearing as a question in a quiz near me).
Nonsense... you need a pilots license (balloons) to fly one, which, makes you a pilot :ok:
[ I completely and utterly disassociate myself from any advertisements which may appear to be associated with my post, and which have been added without my consent. ]

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
3rd Dec 2006, 10:21
Not too long ago my wife, who has a life-long interest in all things aeronautical, watched two gold-braid bedecked gentlemen, hunched over from the weight of their wallets, walking round some huge airliner. "Ooh look", she said, "It's the driver and conductor". I have to say that her perception is usually pretty accurate!!!