PDA

View Full Version : upgrading built-in wireless privacy

windy1
1st Dec 2006, 21:07
My 4 yr old samsung laptop runs XP Pro ( v5.1.2 SP2 Build 2600) and has an Intel PROset 2100 3B wireless chip/module/thingy built-in with 802.11b but only WEP. The driver version is 1.1.5.0
Having just installed a wireless network in the house and hearing that WEP is useless, I downloaded the later device drivers etc from Intel hoping for better security WPA etc.
Right clicking on the wireless icon gives me a choice of using XP to control the wireless LAN or Intel to control the LAN. WPA higher security is only available when I click on the Intel option. This crashes the laptop.
I have tried to "roll back" the driver to the original version to avoid the crashing (settle for WEP) but it now tells me there isn't a driver to roll back to. Any suggestions what to do next?

Gertrude the Wombat
1st Dec 2006, 21:09
For next time, remember:

"Don't mess with the drivers on a laptop."

Saab Dastard
1st Dec 2006, 21:53
Have a look at the Intel Compatability page here: (http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-008168.htm)

Intel® PROSet software version 7.1.x.x is compatible and to be used only with:

* Intel® PRO/Wireless 2100 Network Connection

Intel® PROSet software version 7.2.x.x is compatible and to be used only with:

* Intel® PRO/Wireless 2100A Network Connection

Determine which of these is appropriate for your laptop and download the corresponding drivers.

Alternatively, go to the Samsung website and download the appropriate drivers for your laptop model (I assume they will be there).

Then install the drivers - if they don't come as a self-installer, just as a set of files, do not auto detect, use "have disk" and specify the location of the driver files (usually the *.inf file).

Edit - this (http://www.samsung.com/support/productsupport/download/FileView.aspx?cttfileid=157357&type=&typecode=300200&subtype=&subtypecode=300201&cmssubtypecode=&model=NX10&filetype=DR&language=) looks like the one

SD