PDA

View Full Version : .... help me....

wingman_faisal
1st Dec 2006, 19:27
hi guys,
i did my ppl from south africa and now planning 2 do my IR/ CPL from florida aviation academy and on based of my foreign lis. i got temporary airmen certificate frm FAA. every thing were goin fine now when i paid advance im told that i have 2 do my ppl again in us as on this licence i cannot add rating... Y again should i do my ppl...
it will really appreciated if some one could advise and any info regarding Florida aviation will b grt.
regards

B2N2
1st Dec 2006, 21:17
I don't know all of your details, but if things are the way you describe them..
THEY ARE WRONG.
You can add an Instrument rating to a US restricted based on a foreign license.
Once you have the IR you can use the restricted (based on foreign license) to apply for your FAA CPL.

The only restriction to your "restricted" license is that it is based on a foreign license and all restrictions of the foreign license apply.
It holds no restrictions as to adding ratings.
14CFR 61.75 in the FAR-AIM.
Show them the regulation.
Call the nearest FAA office, they are in Tampa, Orlando and Miami.
The phone numbers are available on the FAA website at www.faa.gov.
If they are still not convinced change schools.

*** I deal with conversions from foreign licenses on a daily basis, and the amount of sheer rubbish that people are being told is amazing ***

Julian
1st Dec 2006, 23:58
Wingman,

B2N2 is spot on, you do not need to undertake your PPL again as you hold an ICAO PPL. Ask them face-to-face why they belive you need to retake and watch them squirm :)

You can add an IR to a foreign based PPL. If you undertake your CPL it is a stand alone licence and your PPL has no bearing whatsoever on it.

they are just trying to exract money from you.

J.

matt_hooks
2nd Dec 2006, 01:41
All true, as long as the licence is still valid, not expired. Sounds like another FTO trying it on to get more money outta someone. Show them the regs as stated above and ask them to explain exactly why you need to redo the licence!

wingman_faisal
2nd Dec 2006, 06:04
thanx guys for ur input .... makes me feel more confident that i was not wrong 4 not doin my ppl again.
i really appreciate 4 takin out time 2 reply.
regards faisal

dartagnan
2nd Dec 2006, 09:13
better to call a FSDO for a little visit.
you definitively do not need to redo your PPL and you can go directly for an IR CPL MULTI if you wish.