PDA

View Full Version : China urges pre-flight toilet training to save fuel

hetfield
1st Dec 2006, 10:57
Wed Nov 29, 10:38 PM ET

BEIJING (Reuters) - A Chinese airline has calculated that it takes a litre of fuel to flush the toilet at 30,000 feet and is urging passengers to go to the bathroom before they board.

As Chinese airlines come under increasing pressure to cut fuel expenditures, China Southern's latest strategy is to encourage passengers "to spend their pennies before boarding the aircraft", Xinhua news agency reported on Thursday.
"The energy used in one flush is enough for an economical car to run at least 10 kilometres," Captain Liu Zhiyuan, who flies regularly between Hangzhou and Beijing, was quoted as saying.
Citing a survey by the company's logistics department, Liu said carrying one kilogram of items such as blankets and pillows by air for one hour uses 0.2 kg of fuel.
"This means the blankets and pillows on board the aircraft eat up 60 tonnes of fuel every day. If each seat is loaded with three 450-gram magazines, another 60 tonnes will be consumed," Liu explained.
Another cost-saving technique will keep 47 million yuan (3 million pounds) a year in the airline's coffers, Xinhua said.
"The company has asked logistics staff to fill the water tank only 60 percent full."
In the first half of the year, the "aggregated loss" of Chinese airlines was estimated at around 3 billion yuan, Xinhua said.

sikeano
1st Dec 2006, 12:20
good idea but sounds funny
:ok:

Payscale
1st Dec 2006, 12:32
Lets charge pax ticket prices according to their bodyweight.
Levitating shaolin munks fly for free :E

CHIVILCOY
1st Dec 2006, 13:34
Why not just have coin operated toilets especially on the LoCo's.

OscarTango
1st Dec 2006, 15:11
:} :} :} Sweet !

old,not bold
1st Dec 2006, 15:33
Could be early onset Alzheimers, but I can't recall seeing a sickbag in the seatback pocket last time I flew Ryanair...was there even a pocket there, or had that gone in the economy drive?

Does anyone out there know the answer?

hetfield
1st Dec 2006, 16:10
Please don't burn our shit-house down,
Mother has promised to pay.
Father's away on the ocean wave,
ladeeladeedoo.....

F4F
1st Dec 2006, 17:35
Payscale, sure loved that one :}

Another one (been said before, so no credit for me, thanks) is arrival duty free shopping:
- up to 100kg weight saving on a big iron bird :ok:
- no fuel in case things get hot in the cabin :ok:
- no more departure delay for some shopping SLF :ok:

cwatters
1st Dec 2006, 18:48
Could be early onset Alzheimers, but I can't recall seeing a sickbag in the seatback pocket last time I flew Ryanair...was there even a pocket there, or had that gone in the economy drive?

No pocket on the Ryanair planes I've flown in recently (well in the last two years). The emergency card was a sticker on the back of the seat in front. I seem to recall adverts for bars of chocolate as well.

BALIX
1st Dec 2006, 19:40
Ryanair's older 737s still have the seat back pocket in 'em. No barf bags though. Suppose you could defecate or urinate into the pocket itself but as it is like a string bag it is probably not to be recommended.

Interestingly enough, was having a look at China Eastern's passenger comments on the various forums the other day. A recurring comment was the lack of serviceable bogs on board their aircraft :yuk:

G-CPTN
1st Dec 2006, 21:48
Suppose you could defecate or urinate into the pocket itself but as it is like a string bag it is probably not to be recommended.
It's all a matter of consistency and size.

Al Fakhem
2nd Dec 2006, 02:37
They've come a long way, though. Remember being on a CAAC flight in 1989 from Nanking to Shanghai, and there was a group of passengers who were clearly on their first flight ever. I thought the chap in the window seat across the aisle from me was making it very difficult for himself to look out of the window, as he was standing with his back turned to me. It was only when he sat down and began to carefully close the puke bag that I realised he'd been peeing into it - unaware that there was a toilet on board :ugh:

allan907
2nd Dec 2006, 03:20
Cabin service on China Southern is contracted out to McDonalds - YUAN Fries with that?

BALIX
2nd Dec 2006, 09:09
It's all a matter of consistency and size.

Blimey, what sort of urine do you pass :eek:

Eliason
2nd Dec 2006, 17:07
Now wait... I don't quite get the equation of the problem..
A Chinese airline has calculated that it takes a litre of fuel to flush the toilet at 30,000 feet and is urging passengers to go to the bathroom before they board. The energy used in one flush is enough for an economical car to run at least 10 kilometres
It takes a litre of fuel to flush a toilet??? Well - my airline uses water for that - it's definately safer :confused: ;)
As far as I know most airline toilets use pumps for the water. Those pumps run on electricity which again comes off the engines (APU, GPU ...) Usually once an engine is running there is more than enough electricity- the bit extra to use the toilet pump/flush shouldn't make a difference. :confused:
Maybe what he wanted to say was that it takes a litre of fuel to transport the liquid for a toiletflush for the flight... more weight, more fuel, makes sense. But the energy for the flush itself doesn't play a role - otherwise it would also make more sense to: switch off the lights during the flight, the entertainment-system, don't serve hot meals as the ovens would definatly more energy than a toiletflush, .... :hmm:
Oh well - someone one day might have the idea for the ideal low cost carrier:
No paint on the plane (hey - one airline got that already!), no catering, no sales on board, no newspapers, magazines, ... light seats (maybe those ratan-seats, some of the first airlines had?), don't use any energy - so: no lights, no ovens, no hot water, no toiletpumps (put in the camping toilets!), ... and see how much you can safe... :rolleyes:
Oh yeah... I forgot - you still would need people to fly with you...:ouch:

Loose rivets
2nd Dec 2006, 21:47
Story was that when British Eagle stripped the paint of a Brit, they weighed it and found that they could put on another two seats.