View Full Version : ELT for DC-10

Graybeard
30th Nov 2006, 21:55
Pardon the seeming ignorance of the regs, but in the US we don't see ELT on large aircraft. I'm working with a part 91 operator of a DC-10 that will be going worldwide.

I know a 406 ELT is required; just need to know if we can get by with a portable, or if the full antenna/structural fit is required. If mounted permanently, where is the best location for antenna and transmitter? Which brands are best value? Installation cost can overwhelm unit price, of course, so that's paramount.

Thanks
GB

BAe146s make me cry
1st Dec 2006, 07:37
Graybeard

Consult your local FAA office to determine ELT installation
applicability for your aircraft.

As for Portable ELT equipment, I can thouroughly recommend the 503
series as superior. My current employer has had no reliability problems
with them and they have a useful internal test function that won't
trigger a full rescue...

Here's a link to their website.

http://www.hr-smith.com/data/disptypesearchandrescue.html

Regards

BAe146??? :{ :{

whiskeyflyer
1st Dec 2006, 07:45
We use Kannad 406 unit (on aircraft with the 121 units fitted previously, no problmes we just "plugged" unit into existing system.
We bought some aircraft from the US last year and the fun started as no ELTs fitted. Switch in cockpit, ran loom down cabin ceiling and ELT406 in aft of baggage area with "shark fin" antenna punched through the roof. Had to get mod and structural drawings approved.
Ensure your cockpit ELT switch cannot be hit by pilots, Jepp manuals etc (or you will be getting calls from the rescue agencies.

Type KANNAD 406 into google for all info

Graybeard
1st Dec 2006, 17:10
Thanks, guys; I've chased the links. The HR Smith site isn't very useful, however, other than a contact address.

Blade antennas on the top of tri-jets are a special case, as they have to be heated to keep ice accumulations from being shed and into the big Hoover on the tail. Artex is recommending mounting the antenna to the side of the #2 engine, certainly not a good compromise, but there appears to be no heated tri-band antenna available.

GB