PDA

View Full Version : Security at Luton

ShedsRus
30th Nov 2006, 19:07
I've not travelled through Luton since the great Security farce started.

I take it they're taking the standard bag size (which will let me take my camera case which I couldn't before) Do we get a full strip search with an amateur proctologist in attendance.
Are we still having to throw all our expensive make up (the Lady Whiplash - not me - the significant other) for 'disposal'

Or, heaven forefend, some semblance of common sense peering through the fog of State Manipulation.

Any info gratefully received as I have to pass through the Orange Citadel on my way to the Weedy City(Amsterdam)

Thanks folks

Getoutofmygalley
30th Nov 2006, 19:44
From the London Luton Airport Website:

http://www.london-luton.co.uk/en/news.asp?id=192

NEW security restrictions on hand luggage are now in place.

Passengers are now permitted to carry small amounts of liquids through security search at the Airport, in line with Department for Transport guidelines.

All liquid substances must be contained within 1 clear re-sealable plastic bag no larger than 8" by 7.5" (20cm by 18cm), a 1 litre bag; this bag must be presented separately at the X-ray machine and must be sealed.

Each liquid, gel, paste etc. container must not exceed 100ml; the contents must fit comfortably within the 1 litre bag.

Hand luggage size remains restricted (passengers should check with the airline) and only 1 item is permitted with room to include to the clear plastic 'liquids' bag.

Musical instruments in a carry case can be taken through as an extra item.

Laptops must also be removed from hand luggage before security screening and presented separately.

ShedsRus
2nd Dec 2006, 18:37
Thanks Getout for that Luton link

Things seem to be standardising a bit even if certain airports are hanging their own petty regs on the rules

Shame I might have enjoyed the remove belt, trousers drop scenario.

ShedsRus
4th Dec 2006, 16:01
Having no sizes quoted on the Easyjet site I rang the customer service number. The lad who answered the phone just said standard laptop size !
How many "standard sizes" are there for laptops.
So I asked him is that 56x36x28 to which he just said 'yes'. Assuming that the speed of answer meant he hadn't a clue could some-one who knows about these things please give me a positive resolution ?

Thanks in advance :ugh:

jetsetwilly
6th Dec 2006, 20:02
Here's the lowdown.
It is normally 1 piece of Hand Luggage which must fit 'snuggy' into the gauge plus 1 small item. Eg, Handbag, Manbag, Coat etc. The recommended size is 55cms x 40 x 20. It's LLA that are advising passengers to have only 1 piece of Hand Luggage regardless. They have been turning back passengers who have more when they go through presentation.
Also worth noting is easyJet also charge for more that 1 piece of Hold luggage per person, £5 online and £10 at the airport. Although you pay for the extra bag, you will also have to pay for the extra weight as your Hold luggage limit is still 20 Kilos. Anything over os £5 per Kilo. This has caught alot of passengers out. It could be said they don't read the T&C's correctly;) ;) ;)
Hope this helps,
JSW.

Trumpet_trousers
11th Dec 2006, 21:42
It seems that security at LTN have had a kick up the a*se - when I last passed through a few weeks back, there were horrendous queues for the screening machines, not helped by the fact that several lanes were closed. The situation was quite unpleasant, with people pushing through to avoid missing their flights, to the obvious displeasure of many other passengers who had been waiting for 30+ minutes, myself included.
Contrast this with last Sunday evening, very small queues at the check-in, all bar one lane open in the screening area, and a minimal wait to get through. Perhaps someone had a word? Anyone in the know care to elaborate?
On a slightly different note, why - if delays are inevitable, due to staff shortages etc. - is there NO attempt to keep the pax informed? Why can't a simple PA be made? How about some informative signs at LTN? There's a lovely big sign before the screening area telling all and sundry that abuse of staff will not be tolerated etc. How about considering your fare-paying customers for a change? Don't you think that you are abusing them by not keeping them informed, or is it just too much to ask for? :sad:

WHBM
17th Dec 2006, 09:55
Paxed through Luton last Thursday.

QUEUES !

Big Easyjet "Hand-luggage only" check-in area on right hand side completely closed.

Huge queues for Easyjet check-in, which don't seem to move down very fast - goodness knows why, whatever is there to do on a LCC check-in.

Saw flight come up on "closing flights" desks on the far right, moved over there only to find more extended queueing because it staffed by those who seemed trainees - surely not what you want on the last-minute desks.

Up to security, long queue for initial presentation to area.

Next queue for main security, queueing barrier area completely full up.

Eventually got picked from queue by being called forward for the flight.

Still a long, very slow moving queue for the actual check, mainly because less-regular pax were not being told to do the "coats off etc" stuff until actually at the belt. So belt not up to throughput.

Several security stations unstaffed.

Then, bag having been dinged, was put into ANOTHER lengthy queue after x-ray to wait my turn to have my bag gone through, a new experience. Stupidity here was that checker then said to x-rayer "what's wrong with this one" and it all depended on what x-rayer could remember, which was not notably accurate.

Finally on to gate to find a long queue down a flight of stairs to enter gate area. One day Health and Safety will stamp this out at airports, nothing that reorganisation could not handle.

Total elapsed time 90 minutes.