PDA

View Full Version : PC World

Saintsman
30th Nov 2006, 19:59
I went to PC World today.

You sure have to be careful what you say there...

djk
30th Nov 2006, 21:14
Why? What did you say? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

gingernut
30th Nov 2006, 21:43
Could try Curry's- don't tell them your hungry.

djk
30th Nov 2006, 21:45
Could try Curry's- don't tell them your hungry.

Curry's and PC World are both owned by Dixon's Group PLC so they're one and the same company

ShyTorque
30th Nov 2006, 22:33
Only Curry's sell iron(ie)s. Offer not available in USA. ;)

Whirlygig
30th Nov 2006, 22:36
Only Curry's sell iron(ie)s. Offer not available in USA. ;)
But Dixon's are more steely!

Cheers

Whirls

stagger
30th Nov 2006, 23:43

If you have a plod around the aisles and keep your eyes peeled, once you cop a look at their offers you'll find them hard to beat.

vs69
1st Dec 2006, 00:02
On a completely different subject (or is it?) has anyone been to the shop on the A4 just by the LHR northside carparks called, and I kid you not.........

Carpet Burns

Im sure theres a joke about laying or the like but there are some great minds here who can do it more justice than I possibly could

G-CPTN
1st Dec 2006, 00:19
We have (or at least used to have) Walter Wallcarpeting.

Stoney X
1st Dec 2006, 08:51
It amazed me that one PC world advert states their 320Gb external hard drive greatly increases your machines memory. Personally I buy hard drives to increase storage........

Buster Hyman
1st Dec 2006, 09:02
But Dixon's are more steelyI thought that was Dan?:confused:

Gouabafla
1st Dec 2006, 09:14
Is that the new PC World that's just opened in Southampton, Saintsman? I've not been there yet, but it's closer for me than Hedge End, so no doubt I'll get there eventually.

The thing with PC World is to know what you are looking for and to walk in and buy it, refusing all attempts by the staff to talk involve you in conversation. I'm sure they are perfectly fine people in private life, but avoid them when they are at work.

Saintsman
1st Dec 2006, 10:03

Oh dear, this has fallen flat.

PC World = Politically Correct World

G-CPTN
1st Dec 2006, 10:21
PC Dixon.
"Evenin' all!"
Dock Green Nick.

tony draper
1st Dec 2006, 10:27
Anybody remember PC49? he preceded Dixon.:rolleyes:
He was on the wireless as radios used to be called.

G-CPTN
1st Dec 2006, 10:34
Dick Barton.
Snowy White.

tony draper
1st Dec 2006, 10:44
Riders of the Range,the BBC had to import special coconut shells.
They could never have caught many baddies one could hear their horses coming a mile away,plus they only ever rode at a trot, clip clop clip clop,clipperty clop they never seemed to break into a gallop,sound effects chap musta been a bit slow.
:rolleyes:

Sultan Ismail
1st Dec 2006, 11:30
Riders of the Range
Yesirree...Jeff Arnold and Luke
Written by Charles Chilton, who is still around today telling stories.
Along with Dan Dare and PC 49 they were the "Eagle" a magazine for boys.

Gainesy
1st Dec 2006, 12:44
Great fun to be had with PC World staff:

"How reliable is this bit of kit then?"

"Oh very, very reliable Sir, never get 'em back, very rare to have problems".

"OK, I'll take one please."

"Would you like the Three-Year Extended Warranty?"

"What for? You just said its reliable."

[These sales folk get most of their commission on the warranty sales].

One girl in Currys asked me if I wanted to buy a warranty on a 20 electric kettle.:confused: :)

1DC
1st Dec 2006, 12:57
Used to go to the saturday morning pictures when i was a kid, full every time.When the Hopalong Cassidy film started he was always being chased across a big dam by a crowd of baddies, halfway across Silver (his horse) dived into the dam with Hopalong on board, they both went under and Hopalong always came up with his hat still on his head!! Fascinated me for years...

frostbite
1st Dec 2006, 13:14
Used to be considered a real rare bonus to go into a Dixons store and be served by an adult.

Flying Lawyer
1st Dec 2006, 13:19

'You sure have to be careful what files you leave on your computer', Gary Glitter might add.

Joking aside, following that case, I'd never take a computer to PC World for repair if it wasn't working and I couldn't remove private/confidential files.
However commendable PCW's action in reporting Glitter's reprehensible and criminal behaviour to the police, it doesn't alter the fact that people had been nosing in his files when there was no justification whatsoever for opening any of them.
It may well be a widespread practice in the industry, but there's irrefutable evidence that PCW employees up to management level did so in that instance.

My confidential files are of a different nature, but the principle is the same.

miikey
1st Dec 2006, 15:39
Theres only one thing i have to say, when it concerns PC WORLD!,, bunch of rip offs, :mad:

i only ever go there cause they have a huge selection of Flight sim games, well the PC-world in my area (slough,bath road for those who know)

Mac the Knife
1st Dec 2006, 19:44
However commendable PCW's action in reporting Glitter's reprehensible and criminal behaviour to the police, it doesn't alter the fact that people had been nosing in his files when there was no justification whatsoever for opening any of them.

Yes, that's always puzzled me. They're not the police, so had absolutely no business examining the files. And even if they did, are they not in a way bound to silence? Presumably when one takes a PC for repair (I do my own, thanks) there must be created some sort of duty of confidentiality in the contract?

AFAIK, even the police have to demonstrate reasonable suspicion (rather than a rumour over the water-cooler) before they can confiscate and examine a person's home computer?

I'd be interested in your comments FL, if you have a moment.

Mac