PDA

View Full Version : US carry on restrictions: worse since August?

vanderaj
30th Nov 2006, 11:45
I last travelled in the USA in August. I was able to take my small laptop bag and a smallish backpack (ie two pieces) of carry on then - about ten legs in total with no issues.

I see a number of threads stating that the US are currently only allowing a single carry on. This is impossible for me or my wife. She has a small medical emergency bag with a few live saving drugs, her handbag and an overnight bag to freshen up at LAX.

If we are forced into a single bag each, I will need to go buy a replacement larger laptop bag for myself, which will take more room than my two little bags, and freight more stuff including my current laptop bag. But it will comply with the single bag per person edict.

Are they being hard core about the single piece requirement? Is the 8 kg total limit being enforced? We are transiting through that special bit of Hell on Earth called Tom Bradley @ LAX, followed by a longish wait at Terminal 6 or 7 if that makes any difference.

Andrew

Lily Rowan
2nd Dec 2006, 16:42
Andrew,

The following is based on my experience.

U.S. coach passengers are typically allowed one carry-on and one “personal item” such as a purse, briefcase, or laptop bag. The carry-on category includes garment bags, wheel-on suitcases, etc.

Please take note of the latest liquids / gels / pastes restrictions so you do not get surprised at security. Commonly-carried items in this category include toothpaste, shave gel, liquid lip gloss and lipsticks, mascara, and contact-lens solution. Currently, passengers are allowed to carry these items into the cabin, but they must all be placed in sealable plastic bag (one allowed per passenger), no larger than one-quart in capacity (1,000 ml :confused: don’t quote me on the metric amount – had to check a measuring cup in my kitchen for the conversion), and each item within the plastic bag must be in a container with no more than 3 oz. capacity. TSA cares about the container size, not the amount – therefore, 2 oz. of liquid in an 8 oz. container wont pass muster. I do not believe that the containers must be original packaging, but not all security screeners know that :rolleyes: – your wife may want to buy a supply of travel-sized items for your overnight stay in order to ensure they are not confiscated.

The sealed plastic bag must be taken out of your carry-on and screened separately – as must your laptop computer. No beverages are allowed through security, but you may purchase drinks air-side and bring them onto the airplane.

If your wife’s medicines are liquid form, they should be accompanied by a prescription with her name.

Hmmm, have I forgotten anything? :8

Maybe just this tip: while TSA claims shoes “may” be allowed through the metal detectors at the screeners’ discretion :suspect: , just take yours off and put them through the x-ray – saves time and frustration. :ugh:

Hope this helps – enjoy the Washington D.C. area; it really is a great city. :ok: (I split my time between there and New York, and, while my apartment is in Manhattan, I consider DC my home.)

Cheers,
LR

ZFT
4th Dec 2006, 02:18
Went through Tom Bradley and Terminal 1 twice a couple of weeks ago and compared to LHR it’s actually well organised and remarkably quick. Had a flight bag and laptop – no issues at all.

Lily’s post is spot on with current TSA requirements.