PDA

View Full Version : SACAA Accident Investigations

Life'sShort-FlyFast
30th Nov 2006, 09:18
I have read on various other threads on the Prune about feedback on recent accidents being slow in coming out of the CAA.

I heard recently that the current backlog is in the region of 408 accident investigations. The current accident rate in SA (fairly consistent over the past few years) is 153 accidents per year.

The CAA inform us that they are managing to close 40 cases per quarter which tells me that in 60 years time, we would have caught up with the backlog!

There have been discussions about temporary licence suspensions etc after an accident, but how can this be considered if the investigations are going to take so long. I acknowledge that they are sometimes reliant on third parties for reports before closing an investigation (ie Pathology reports) but surely they can tackle all the 'simple' cases and get ahead of the game.

Accident reports and the feedback to the industry are a huge help in Flight Safety. There is a determined effort to try and reduce the accident rate in SA but we must have the dope available from the past to watch for trends and to learn from others errors.

If the CAA are not able to tackle the backlog or have a problem with expertise in investigating current issues then I believe they must start looking at bringing in consultants to get on top of the outstanding list

dr27
30th Nov 2006, 10:28
Number of accidents may not be the same as investigations.

Quite a number of accidents are reported where there are no investigations and in addition to these a number of incidents/accidents are unreported.

Whether the SACAA will ever catch up is any ones guess. Wonder what the norms are and if the SACAA investigations are subject to time restraints