PDA

View Full Version : AOC vs PRIVATE

EMB170
30th Nov 2006, 08:52
Please advise what are the major differencies between private and aoc operation?
the facts: it's a G5, owner and family are the pax , no charter.
I was told the insurance is a major factor as it will go up by a considerable amount and it has also an inpact on the legal aspect in case of accidents or incidents as the captain will take full responsibility, is it true?
How about fuel costs, over flight permits and so forth?
Any advise greatly appreciated>
Thank you for your help.
regards

Gulfstreamaviator
30th Nov 2006, 14:42
The insurance question is perhaps because the AOC company has a better volume deal with the insurance providers.

Overflight clearance should be the same.

An AOC provider will be charging up to 10kUS per month, (balance this against the Insurance).

All flights operated by an air transport undertaking, ie AOC; should be in accordance with the FOM, and this does limit runways available. Also limits duty periods.!!!!!! I take this with two pinches of salt.

Fuel should be the same. Except perhaps Germany, or the occasional state that has a AOC vs private rate; but this is not so important as aircraft weight increase; also balance against AOC costs.

The AOC holder would normally provide crew, and should have access to spare crew, and spare aircraft should crew or aircraft go tech.

The operational requirements such as clearance, flight plans, hotels etc, would be organised either ob AOC or a third party. There is no reason why the owner can not DIY, using third party providers.

Operations within Russia are in theory not permitted by non AOC operators.

To sum up, the costs will be slightly in favour of the DIY approach, as you would perhaps pay the lead captain slightly more, and they would accept the extra responsability.

I am a G5 driver, and would be more thanhappy to discuss in full detail just how I would operate your G5 for you, and save you money. This procedure should be acted upon very early on in the decision making process.

I would be happy to undertake this project for you or your owner.

Glf

Miles Magister
30th Nov 2006, 18:12
EMB 170

The Captain is always responsible regardles of the operation. AOC or private makes no difference.

I have bought policies from Hayward Aviation for both private and AOC aircraft. The Private policies are actually much cheaper because of the increased risks of many different pilots and increased hours of AOC operations. Another major advantage of the Hayward policy is that the pilot is automatically indemified against liability under the pilocy, a very good reason for you to recomend it to your owner!!!

MM

Gulfstreamaviator
30th Nov 2006, 19:35
The insurance aspect is very important, and as MM stated it can be cheaper, direct.

However I have seen a 25% increase by a private quote vs a AOC's add on cost.

Glf

EMB170
1st Dec 2006, 11:29
Thanks for your help, I knew about responsibility of the pilot but it's the point about " indemnified" that's the thing I was worried about.

The aircraft we fly at the moment is on an AOC, but we are looking into taking it off that, as the AOC holders are quiet frankly a pain in the A..e!
I used to be employed by the management company , but they didn't manage,it was left to me, being paid not very well at all, so I followed the request of the owner and started working for him directly with a considerable
payrise, hence they are upset and trying to make our life difficult.

I passed the information about Haywards ,on to the powers above.

Again thanks