PDA

View Full Version : Vero Beach Florida?

MarkColeman
29th Nov 2006, 20:25
I'm training at the Flight Safety academy in Vero Beach for 10 weeks in Florida,has anyone trainedvthere? How did you find the training/accommodation/surrounding area?

54.98N
30th Nov 2006, 07:45
Mark,

You dont need to rent a car for the entire period. There is a Hertz rental at Vero Beach airport, so you can do daily/weekend rentals for whenever you need a car (ask for the FlightSafety discount), and there are plenty of other students there who will give you a lift to Walmart :)

Accomodation is fine, I think it was around 37USD per day when I was there earlier this year.

petesevenseven
30th Nov 2006, 08:20
Mark,

I was at FSI in 1999 at the same time as JFK funny enough. All I can say is that they are the very best in the buisiness you are in very good hands man.

You will definately get your moneys worth!!!!

Enjoy learning with real professionals some other worldwide "top class" FTO's should go there for a few brushup courses on teaching their students.

Good luck with your training and with your future.

Happy landings!!!!

Pete!!!!

blueplume
30th Nov 2006, 08:43
Mark,

FSI is very good as has been mentioned. Are you doing FAA or JAA? Not sure if they even do Europe these days; when I was there 1997 they were running CAA syllabus.

Living was cheap, easy and fun. As a student you get access to local sports facilities usually for free. Fuel costs nothing. Across the 17th St. Bridge are plenty of bars and restaurants where food is cheap even for Americans but especially for us with a weak dollar. The favourite hang-out at the time was the Riverside Bar, probably still is.

You can find cheap ****heaps for a few hundred bucks. I had a Buick Century for $300 which lasted me for a year, sold it for $200. If you own a car you have to do your Florida licence after a month I think (long time ago). Driving test around the car park, 20 minutes. Bring some insurance history from your present/past insurers with you, you'll get cheaper insurance.

And add 3 weeks and 30% to everything, that way you won't be disappointed if it costs more or takes longer.

Enjoy your time there and use the planes to go everywhere. Try the Keys.

MarkColeman
30th Nov 2006, 12:06
Thanks for the info guys, the place sounds great!

I'm doing the JAA PPL with 150 structured hours building by the way blueplume.

GrkPilot
30th Nov 2006, 15:27
I'm training at the Flight Safety academy in Vero Beach for 10 weeks in Florida,has anyone trainedvthere? How did you find the training/accommodation/surrounding area?

Hey Mark,

I finished my PPL/ME/IR/CPL at FlightSafety. Started in August 2003 and finished April 2004. The training is the best you will find in the United States, very professional and the facilities are top-notch. Nothing more to say about the training, you will be trained by the best and you will become the best, I did my CFI at another flight school and you could see a HUGE difference in training, so I wouldn't worry about that you will be fine.

As for the accommodations, I was paying then around 750 dollars a month, I had a apartment in the new buildings, I think I was in room 111. The room had a kitchen, living room, big bedroom, bathroom and walk-in closet. That was the most expensive room for the $750 a month, you can find cheaper but you might have to be with a roomate, not sure on the prices now.

Surrounding area was OK .. nothing special, actually Vero Beach is quite boring with nothing to do. This was actually good because it gave me more time to study, if the school was in like a MIAMI I would of finished in 3 years ahha :eek: :eek: . I didn't have a car but I started training with a few guys from Greece so we got 1 car and shared it. I would suggest you get one for shopping purposes etc. There are a few pubs that you can go to when you have free time but don't expect anything special, everything closes by 1am anyway!

Overall I had a blast, training was good, weather was good, and made a lot of good friends. GOOD PICK, you won't regret it!!

blueplume
30th Nov 2006, 15:29
You'll receive good training and have a good time. American birds like the whole British thing and you'll drink the locals under the table on Coors Lite or Milwaukee.

MarkColeman
30th Nov 2006, 16:59
You'll receive good training and have a good time. American birds like the whole British thing and you'll drink the locals under the table on Coors Lite or Milwaukee.

Sweet, the american chicks better be ready for some tried and tested dublin pick up lines :ok:

BigGrecian
2nd Dec 2006, 12:58
They'll have heard them all before from your Irish colleagues at FSI - there's quite a few. The girls in Vero will instantly not be interested once you say your a pilot. :hmm:

blueplume
2nd Dec 2006, 14:09
"They'll have heard them all before from your Irish colleagues at FSI - there's quite a few. The girls in Vero will instantly not be interested once you say your a pilot."

True. Just tell them you work for the post office.

Farrell
2nd Dec 2006, 14:35
They'll have heard them all before from your Irish colleagues at FSI - there's quite a few. The girls in Vero will instantly not be interested once you say your a pilot. :hmm:

Ummmmmm......what's your latest chat up line at the moment then BG?
Or is "Nav" still your favourite!? :}

BillieBob
2nd Dec 2006, 15:16
I'm doing the JAA PPL ....Interesting. I didn't know FSI Academy were approved for the JAA PPL - what's the State of Licence Issue?

BA123
2nd Dec 2006, 18:41
Ive also looked at SFI and cant see they offer JAA training anywhere.

Keygrip
2nd Dec 2006, 19:18
BillieB - it's actually an FAA licence he will get.

PTC Waterford.

davey147
2nd Dec 2006, 20:16
They do FAA licenses acording to the website.

JotaJota
21st Aug 2008, 10:03
Old thread... But how was the training. Was there in 1990 or so and many great memories. Had the BEST and toughest instructors that prepared me for very easy checkrides and type ratings in my "pathetic" airline career :ok:

JJ