PDA

View Full Version : Caribbean Star/LIAT employment

Young Pilot
29th Nov 2006, 19:36
Hi. This is directed towards pilots currently employed with Star or LIAT. What exactly are the hour requirements to get hired with either airline??? I have asked this question before and have not really gotten a clear answer. Also will my ICAO license be valid enough, or will I have to do a conversion exam?? Thanks!!!!

camprax
30th Nov 2006, 19:37
Depends on what country of issue your license is from.That decides if you have to do the 8 theory subjects plus the airlaw.I got hired with 250 hrs tt.Flight schools hours is enough but be prepared to follow a very steep learning curve.
regards

Young Pilot
1st Dec 2006, 00:50
Well I am currently completing my training in the US. How does that impact my previous question?? Would love to learn a little more about that theory exam you mentioned...

camprax
1st Dec 2006, 14:29
FAA License so 8 theory exams.Aerodynamics,flight controls,air con and pressurization,hydraulics,jet engine,propellers and ac and dc electrics.Pass mark of 75 per cent,multiple choice.
l

cochise
1st Dec 2006, 15:16
What happened to Performance A, Loading? It's been a while but it hasn't been that long.

camprax
1st Dec 2006, 17:34
As posted you will have to do airlaw.Performance is done inhouse with the hiring company.Loading..not sure why it isnt done anymore but makes it easier..less to study....

Young Pilot
1st Dec 2006, 23:23
Thanks a mil for the useful info. I believe that the study material should not be that difficult to put a hand on. At least I hope so since I remember in some past forums that some other pilots have asked where they could purchase the required text (s). You've been of great help thus far :ok: ...

JeyFromLFMT
3rd Dec 2006, 16:57
Hi all!!

And what about JAA licenses??

VeRmiLLioN
4th Dec 2006, 17:01
Do you still need to do the exams if you have a Canadian ATPL?

camprax
4th Dec 2006, 17:18
JAA is accepted,possibly only the airlaw to do.Canadian ATPL all exams and airlaw unless you have a type rating on type and with some time.Either they will give you a dispensation to do the exams within a time frame or you will jut have to do all of them from the start!
regards

JeyFromLFMT
4th Dec 2006, 17:32
Thanx camprax!!

Do someone have some details where to apply? CP infos maybe?

Already applied twice to their HR email on their website but still no answer...:{

Jey

Young Pilot
4th Dec 2006, 19:29
Now Comprax, would you personally advice someone with an FAA/ICAO license to convert to a JAA license, or simply sit those theory exams????

camprax
4th Dec 2006, 22:38
Depends how much money you have!!!Also do you have the right to work in the EU.You want to fly in the caribbean you have to do the theory exams.JAA is good anywhere in the world,currently thinking of undertaking mine at a cost of 1900 pounds,not including exam fees and getting to London to sit them.Quite pricey!!!
regards

Young Pilot
4th Dec 2006, 23:25
Alright that makes a lot of sense. I plan to at least settle back home for a while and fly (afterall I'm a huge fan of the Dash 8 :) ), and then with some money saved up, see where else I can spread my wings. There's so much opportunity to the East, but that all depends on one's personal lifestlye. I'll take it one day at a time;). Thanx!!!!