PDA

View Full Version : CPL before ME/IR?

Bandit650
29th Nov 2006, 14:59
Hi all
Been advised doing CPL before ME/IR is preferable, as exposure to complex type during CPL eases workload at ME/IR? this sounds like a good point to me...any thoughts?
I was weighing up pros and cons of doing ME/IR on PPL prior to CPL as don't need to wait to complete ATPL studies to do ME/IR.
Is a ME/IR rating passed on a PPL also valid on a CPL acquired at a later date...?
Any pearls of wisdom out there on this?!
Cheers!

MIKECR
29th Nov 2006, 15:16
There was a thread on this just recently(and many before!), try a search first.

To give you an answer though: - you will need to do the IR theory exams or ATPL exams to add an IR to your licence, be it PPL or CPL, whichever you have.

Dan 98
29th Nov 2006, 15:53
Bandit650,
Sometimes it depends on the school you actually attend, ie the way they like to do it etc...
I did the multi, then the IR before my CPL, and have no regrets at all. I saw 2 advantages to this.
One you get more hours at the IR, 55hrs rather than the reduced 50hrs if you hold a CPL. So an extra 5hrs to hone those skills.
Second, it reduces the CPL to 15hrs rather than the full 25hrs if you do it before the IR.
Believe me, the CPL is an advanced PPL, yes it requires more accurate flying to a higher level, but after about 10-12 hrs your average person is ready for test.
So if you are doing the 25hr course you can look forward to another 13-15hrs of flying around following a line on a map and hoping for good weather. I also don't think that the CPL had I done it first would have helped me with the IR.
Of course like all things it is your choice, where you are looking at training comes into it, for example if you are looking to go abroad where weather is not a factor then the extra 10hrs VFR weather you will need to do the CPL first is not so much a factor, if you are in the UK, thats a different matter.
I think a lot of people do the CPL first because to a degree you are in your comfort zone, where as the IR is oh my god, no I'll put that off for a bit.
In my opinion the CPL is one of the areas where a big change is needed in the training process as it really has very little relevance in preparing you to fly for an airline. However it remains a hoop you must jump through!!
Good luck with what you decide.

Spitfire78
29th Nov 2006, 15:55
I have often wondered about this too - I kinda like Dan98 take on things.

By the way, how *does* one search on this forum for things like CPL, ME/IR ? It always comes back empty - I guess it ignores words under 3 letters?

Bandit650
30th Nov 2006, 11:16
Thanks for replies - very informative indeed. Cheers

scroggs
30th Nov 2006, 11:31
I have often wondered about this too - I kinda like Dan98 take on things.
By the way, how *does* one search on this forum for things like CPL, ME/IR ? It always comes back empty - I guess it ignores words under 3 letters?
SF78

Go to Google Advanced Search. Specify your search term(s). Specify in the 'title of the page' and specify this website only. The search engine on Pprune will not search for words of 3 letters or less, nor will it search for many common words.