PDA

View Full Version : Monarch to be bought by Ryanair ?

ock1f
28th Nov 2006, 07:43
There was a very quick report on Irish radio yesterday that Ryanair is looking to buy other european airlines/low cost operators as it looks like its takeover bid for Aer fungus will fail. Monarch was mentioned as a likely target due to similar type of operations and aiports used. Any views ........:confused:

Callsign Kilo
28th Nov 2006, 07:51
I wouldn't say Monarch have agreat deal of similarties with Air O'Leary! Low cost maybe, but who isn't these days? A large proportion of their flights are charter work also, are they not?

High Wing Drifter
28th Nov 2006, 07:54
Isn't Monarch privately owned? If so, why would they sell such a good business :confused:

GBALU53
28th Nov 2006, 08:02
The news yesterday said the French people from the town of Deauville which is like the French Riveria of the north, do not want Ryanair operating to there part of northern France,

The Deauville area tends to be upmarket and there are a lot of Parisians who have second homes in the area so they do not want low cost airlines into this part of France.

All very well if all these ideas of Mr.O.L wants a bigger slice of the cake around Europe by trying to purchase another airline which operates in a similar way.

At the end of the day it does not look good if towns are not welcomeing new routes.

With some of the news over the last year on some routes, news is not always good for the company, the travelling public are more informed and with competition on a number of routes passengers will go elsewhere, even if they have to pay a bit more, money is not everything but a good reputation goes a long way.

Monarch have been around for a long time this article might only relate to the low cost side of the company, we must not forget that Monarch do long haul work which is not for Ryanair.

Callsign Kilo
28th Nov 2006, 08:05
Aer Lingus also do long haul, and that didn't stop Ryanair!

EGGW
28th Nov 2006, 09:26
Monarch are indeed privately owned, so unless the owners want to sell, no sale.

EGGW

hobie
28th Nov 2006, 09:47
From Monarch's web site .....

corporate
who we are
The Monarch group is one of the best established names in British aviation.
When our businesses were founded in 1967, they had only 146 staff; today they employ over 2,800 highly-trained personnel.

Probably the best-known part of the Monarch group is Monarch Airlines - with its fleet of 21 modern aircraft.

The company has two divisions:

Monarch - the largest independent charter airline in the UK
Monarch - providing low cost, convenient flights that members of the public can book directMonarch is all about giving quality, value and choice - the hallmarks of the Monarch group.
Together, the two divisions of Monarch Airlines carry around five million passengers to nearly 100 leading destinations every year.
Monarch Aircraft Engineering
Monarch Airlines has a sister company, Monarch Aircraft Engineering. This is the technical division of the Monarch group, catering for all the engineering requirements of the Monarch fleet - as well as providing engineering services to some of the best known airlines around the world.
With extensive hangar facilities at London Luton and Manchester airports, the company employs 900 engineering staff.
Monarch Holdings Plc
Monarch Airlines and Monarch Aircraft Engineering are both subsidiaries of Monarch Holdings Plc. Other companies in the group include household-name tour operators such as Cosmos, Avro, Archers direct, Cosmos tourama and somewheretostay.com

411A
28th Nov 2006, 10:03
A superbly run airline, from my perspective.
I did some sub-service for them a few years ago and found it to be the BEST I have ever experienced in Europe, especially their staff.

Knowledgeable and professional..

Especially their dispatch staff.
Great folks!:D

MOL doesn't deserve 'em, in my view.

BOAC
28th Nov 2006, 11:18
Am I confused or is this the second time around for the rumour?

Monarch Man
28th Nov 2006, 11:29
I would be VERY VERY surprised if this was the case, MON airlines is the perfect tax vehicle for the owners to show a small profit, and avoid hefty tax burdens on other more profitable parts of the group of companies.
Its also a privately owned "family" business:ok:

kooyheier
28th Nov 2006, 13:26
WHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

At least something cheered me up today.... Where do get people this BULL!!!!

hahahahahahah

:D :D :D :D

E cam
28th Nov 2006, 16:33
I wouldn't be too quick to laugh. After all, who'd have thought he'd have a go at Aer Lingus? And who'd have thought that a crippled, barely surviving, stagnant tour operator would attempt to buy its most successful and vibrant competitor? The unexpected does happen.

MOL has the dosh, so if Mr "M" wants to sell, what's to stop it?

eu01
28th Nov 2006, 20:02
I wouldn't be too quick to laugh.
Right. Look at this:
Ryanair has purchased a further €85m worth of shares in Aer Lingus. This brings its shareholding in Aer Lingus up from 19% to 25%. It is understood the shares, which were purchased from a US hedge fund, were bought at an average price of €2.75.
Source: RTÉ Business

jabird
2nd Dec 2006, 22:09
How well do Mr Jeans and Mr O'Leary get on these days?