PDA

View Full Version : a question very important for me

Natalie_Asfour
29th Nov 2006, 01:03
Hello everyone! I have a question that I hope somebody here can answer.

In October in Moscow I met a pilot and we had unprotected sex

Can someone please tell me how big the probability that he was not healthy is (HIV, Hepatitis, etc?)

Can somebody honestly tell me how strict it is with medical check-ups.

I worry about my health, and if someone could give me any info on the medical check-ups that pilots undergo, I would be grateful

Thanks everybody in advance for your answers

Natalia

obgraham
29th Nov 2006, 02:19
Natalie I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions here, mostly rude ones.

However, being in the business, I suggest you separate this whole issue from the "flying" question, go and get yourself tested for the appropriate STD's, so you can put your mind at rest and stop worrying.

The odds are strongly in your favor, but testing is the only way to be sure. And then, be careful in the future.

Old Smokey
29th Nov 2006, 04:04
TOTALLY MEDICALLY UNQUALIFIED RESPONSE HERE!!!!

Relax, the odds are in your favour, although in any game of Russian Roulette, there is occasionally a bullet in the barrel.

Put your mind at rest and part with some of your hard earned money for the appropriate testing. After the "All Clear", which is the more likely outcome, take appropriate precautions in the future.

On the down side, if the reply is not an "All Clear" -

HIV needs no explanation, there's no cure, but at this point in time your life expectancy is still quite reasonable.

Hepatitis B is endemic in this region, and I know a great number of people with the virus. Those who returned to a "Normal" life-style of drinking and eating high fat foods are in the cemetary. Those who forsake the booze for life (and other liver stressors) are now playing with their grand-children decades after acquiring the virus, and looking forward to their great grand-children.:ok:

I say again - TOTALLY MEDICALLY UNQUALIFIED RESPONSE HERE!!!!

Relax, check it out, be careful in the future! (It's happened to most of us) :ok:

Regards,

Old Smokey

norton2005
29th Nov 2006, 14:41
can having sti's result in not being able to get a medical?

Mac the Knife
29th Nov 2006, 17:24
It depends on a lot of things, like his viral load at the time (if he was HIV +ve)

The baseline answer is that for a single act of unprotected vaginal sex with an HIV+ve male the rate of female seroconversion (infection) is around 1:1000 - if you did it up the jacksy, estimates of the risk of infection for each such act range from 0.5% to 3%

If YOU were HIV+ve and HE was -ve, his chances of seroconverting is lower at around 1:2000-3000, higher if you had the rag on.

Hepatitis transmission rates are higher and gonococcus (you'd probably have noticed by now) even higher.

TX rate is higher for receptive partner, but at least ten times less likely to occur during oral sex

Get tested, and try not to get carried away next time! It's dangerous now.

Mac :ok:

PS: Are Russian condoms still the superthick reusable ones that I remember laughing at? I'm SO glad I did my tomcatting around in the pre-AIDS, post-pill days. Ahhhhh - bareback!!!

Natalie_Asfour
29th Nov 2006, 18:46
Thank you everyone for all you responses

Natalie_Asfour
29th Nov 2006, 21:25
can having sti's result in not being able to get a medical?

Does anyone by any chance know the policy of Lufthansa with this issue?

mutt
30th Nov 2006, 09:49
Both European and American medical forms ask if you have HIV or STI's, but i dont even remember them telling me that they tested for these.

As others have said.. go get tested and dont believe that just because he was a pilot you are protected by his requirement to take medicals.

Mutt

Natalie_Asfour
1st Dec 2006, 22:29
if anyone cares to know, I got tested for HIV, the result is 'negative'

Thanks again for all the responses

But still, does anyone have any info about medicals for Lufthansa? Of course I am interested in the info related to HIV

Mac the Knife
2nd Dec 2006, 15:35
I think we're all unclear what you're worrying about now.

"...can having sti's result in not being able to get a medical?"

Of course HAVING an sti is likely to disqualify you!

Having HAD one in the past, provided it was treated and you are now cured, probably won't.
Whatever you answer, they're unlikely to test for past gonorrhea or syphilis anyway.

As regards HIV/AIDS, if you had bareback sex in October and recently tested -ve you're probably in the clear - you would have seroconverted by now.

Lufthansa (and most employers now) probably DO have a question, "Have you ever had a AIDS test?" that you have to answer Yes/No - then there is usually a checkbox for the result - there's usually a line after that that says "Why?", to which you can answer, "Had unprotected sex once & was worried" which is fair enough.

Personally I'd have thought that if they start rejecting all the CC and pilots who've had an AIDS test because they were worried, they might be a bit short of staff!

But perhaps someone knows better than I :confused:

Natalie_Asfour
3rd Dec 2006, 00:39
Thank you very much also for your relpy

Thary79
3rd Dec 2006, 19:20
See my post under Sexually Transmitted Diseases (when it has been moderated), you may not be as relaxed as you were earlier.

Sorry

Natalie_Asfour
3rd Dec 2006, 21:54
I prefer to be relaxed, especially that I had already had unprotected sex with the same person in March, after which I had a few tests the last of which was 6 months after the sex, that is in September, and the results were always negative