PDA

View Full Version : holiday in africa - need some jabs, affects on commercial flying/class one??

RISK AVERSE
28th Nov 2006, 21:22
hi,

i'm off on hols to Africa in Jan. i have a consultation with a nurse next week for jabs for Diptheria, Yellow Fever, Malaria etc. anybody been through the same experience and do any of the drugs have any nasty side affects that could affect pilots?

thanks

RA

Thary79
3rd Dec 2006, 18:28
I'd check with your own practitioner, and AME but:
In short getting the disease is worse than having the jabs. The quoted reputable side effects include; jabs - pain and swelling at the injection sites, mild fever, allergy to the injection(you'll notice pretty quickly). Malaria prophylaxis; GI upset (tummy pain, vomiting, diarrohea), headaches, nausea, tiredness, allergy to the meds. You also need to be taking the meds for a short while even after returning - so you'll need to tell your AME (and therfore not be able to fly for at least a month-while taking them)

Something which would be useful is to actually find out whether you are going to be at risk of getting these diseases. ie whether it is the season for the nasty insects, which carry the diseases, to be biting. The other is to make sure that you take precautions against getting bitten, ie insect repellant. And to make sure that you are aware of other diseases which are prevalent where you are going and how you can catch them, ie HIV AIDS etc.

I nice website which I use frequently is www.GPNOTEBOOK.com (http://www.GPNOTEBOOK.com)
The other website is the Dept of Health website

Phone Wind
3rd Dec 2006, 21:20
For malaria in Africa the 2 most common are Malarone or Doxycycline. I don't like Malarone at all as it gives me nausea, mouth ulcers, indigestion and seems to affect my vision. Doxy makes you more susceptible to sunburn, but seems to have fewer unpleasant effects.
Be aware that polio is making a comeback in some countries in Africa, so check if your nurse thinks you should have another dose of salk vaccine.
Meningitis is also a danger in some parts of Africa, but usually that's a bit later in the year.

Crashed&Burned
3rd Dec 2006, 21:51
Had a similar armful for a recent trip to India. :ok: No side effects at all.

Enjoy your trip.

C&B