PDA

View Full Version : NEWCASTLE - 5

Pages : [1] 2

fl dutchman
27th Nov 2006, 20:59
Continuation of: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=245930&page=16

So it looks like Berlin Budapest and Geneva have gone this summer. Would expect to see Geneva back as a winter route. Budapest probably gone for good as pax nos very poor recently( similar at other airports). Would think that FlyBe will start Berlin along with Copenhagen and some others if they do ever base at NCL.
Its good to see Easyjet bring in A/C no 7 at last but the 2 new routes and the increases in frequency to existing spanish sunshine routes where there is arguably over capacity to start with seems strange. Where are all the passengers going to come from? It would have been good to have places like Venice, Dubrovnik, Split etc as new routes not duplicating existing ones.(Perhaps Jet2 have some announcements to come)
Competition is good for the travelling public and we will see some very good fares this comimg summer, but after that someone will suffer.

Where are all the aircraft going to park next summer.

From what I have read there will be the following A/C based at NCL,

7x Easyjet
4x Jet2.Com (plus a possible 146 for LGW)
1x BA
1X klm
1X AF
1X sn(back to nightstopping a/c)
4X Eastern
3X Tom
2X TCX
1X MYT
1X FJE
2x XLA
4X BE ( possibly ) Thats a total of 32

If this is correct will there will be a problem with space?

simonwa
27th Nov 2006, 21:07
7 aircraft are indeed needed for EZY next summer. Tried a few dates and on Monday 23rd July 2007, 7 aircraft are needed for morning departures as follows:
06:10 – ALC
07:05 – BFS
07:00 – BRS
07:30 – FAO
06:40 – STN
06:15 – AGP
07:20 – CDG

FAO going daily next summer.
CDG remaining as the winter at 2 x daily weekdays (1 x sat/sun)
NCE is making a return - daily for the summer
PMI also going to 2 x daily on certain dates of the week

skyman771
27th Nov 2006, 21:29
. Where are all the passengers going to come from? It would have been good to have places like Venice, Dubrovnik, Split etc as new routes not duplicating existing ones.(Perhaps Jet2 have some announcements to come)

Presume that EZY / LS see an opportunity to capture the MME market :D With the amount of capacity potentially on offer is there actually a justifiable need another airport down the road ?

Centre cities
27th Nov 2006, 22:59
Interesting posts on other forums lists Emirates destinations for next year. Seems genuine amd detailed with all the planned upgrades and new routes with start dates. Information seems from a reliable chap.

NCL is stated to start sept 07 with 330.

Centre cities

Ops Guy
27th Nov 2006, 23:00
[QUOTE]
fl dutchman: Where are all the aircraft going to park next summer?

Thats a good question!! As part of the winter works we are getting two new stands built on the main Apron (north of stand 18). However with all the aircraft you have listed I think it may be a bit tight to say the least. Doesn't leave much room for flexability if aircraft go tech!! :rolleyes:

skyman771
28th Nov 2006, 08:12
Easyjet I gather flights for NCL-GVA have now been released for S07 !
Any more ?:)

nclairportfan
28th Nov 2006, 08:39
Flybe has just announced Limoges from May!

SWBKCB
28th Nov 2006, 12:57
Flybe has just announced Limoges from May!

Also Aberdeen.

transwede
28th Nov 2006, 13:07
EZY do not seem to have released GVA for summer 07, I'm thinking that maybe it is to become a winter only route. Sun destinations such as MAH, FAO, PMI etc to operate in its place as these are more heavily utilised in summer.

LIG and ABZ, excellent news from BE, are they operated by based a/c, as I see LIG is only once weekly on a saturday?

nclairportfan
28th Nov 2006, 13:10
I cant see anything about NCL - ABZ on flybe site?

airhumberside
28th Nov 2006, 13:40
Easyjet could still do GVA but with a GVA based aircraft - now EDI-GVA will be done by the new EDI aircraft there is a gap in the schedule for one of the GVA aircraft. That could be filled by NCL-GVA wihen GVA flights go on sale. Not saying that will happen but its a possibility

SWBKCB
28th Nov 2006, 16:17
I cant see anything about NCL - ABZ on flybe site?

It's in an e-mail I got from Flybe this morning titled "New Routes from Newcastle on Sale Now!". You're right though, ABZ doesn't seem to be on sale on the website

skyman771
28th Nov 2006, 20:05
Easyjet Re GVA Can't understand why you all continue to speculate about NCL-GVA I posted on this site at 09.00 that GVA has been reinstated !. Confirmed by an acquaintance enquiring to EZY in GVA this morning. :ugh:

fl dutchman
28th Nov 2006, 22:08
Easyjet Re GVA Can't understand why you all continue to speculate about NCL-GVA I posted on this site at 09.00 that GVA has been reinstated !. Confirmed by an acquaintance enquiring to EZY in GVA this morning. :ugh:

Possibly because you can only book it up to 22 April.
However hope your info is correct.

Budapest.
Evening Chronicle readers holidays advertising breaks to Budapest with various departures during 2007 direct flight from NCL so could that be back on with Easyjet or JET 2 or Fly Be ??.

ncleflights
28th Nov 2006, 22:18
Just to pick up on an earlier thread comment about easyjet prices. I checked a few prices on the ncle to pmi route during the peak summer holidays in 2007. On the same days I checked the prices fore both airlines and Jet2 came out cheaper on price each time.

POL1W
29th Nov 2006, 14:32
Looks like Newcastle will not have Amsterdam as a Jet2 destination after March after all. Their banner states that Amsterdam summer now on sale from Leeds, Blackpool and Manchester, with no mention of Newcastle.
Has it not been doing that well? Maybe not, but I suppose it will release the aircraft to do something more lucrative, or possibly back to Leeds where most flights are showing a huge capacity increase for next year.
Would the lack of Amsterdam allow the Gatwick to be done by 737 instead of a 146 now?

fl dutchman
29th Nov 2006, 15:53
Krakow to increase to 3 per week from summer. Extra flight on Saturdays

I have also heard some time ago that their AMS service was to drop to 1x daily or cancelled altogether from March 07.

We will find out in due course, but if they have released seats from Blackpool, Leeds and Manchester today why not NCL.

I understand the loads have been good but are they making any money with such low fares.

Overall Pax nos from NCL to AMS have been up by about 50% since Jet 2 started on this route.

10 DME ARC
29th Nov 2006, 17:48
Well for any one following the german emirates thread on here and another web site; Emirates have loaded VCE-DXB on to travel agent software in Italy according to the origional news web site. Hopefully not long for NCL-DXB

OltonPete
29th Nov 2006, 18:19
On another forum it was claimed that a cabin crew member on their
EK induction course this week were openly told the new routes for 2007.

They were the same as the other rumours and Newcastle was included.

I have seen the Venice flight uploaded on one booking site, I think EK157
if I remember rightly.

Just could be one rumour that might come off, fingers crossed.

Pete

en2r
29th Nov 2006, 20:00
Krakow to increase to 3 per week from summer. Extra flight on Saturdays

Jet2 are obviously stepping up the battle against Easyjet. Wouldn't it make sense though if Jet2 moved their 3 flights from M---F-S to -T-T-S- so that they wouldn't be flying on the same days as Easyjet, as well as giving consumers the choice of daily flights from Newcastle.

crewboi83
29th Nov 2006, 20:32
I already posted about a month ago saying that if you look at the flight guides which u can pick up on any jet2 aircraft or from any ticket desk it states that the ncl ams is only once daily, unless it has been dropped all together now. that would make room for a morning lgw service instead. but if that was top happen there is no aircraft availible to do 10ish lgw service on tue am

Charlie Roy
29th Nov 2006, 20:56
wouldn't it make sense though if Jet2 moved their 3 flights from M---F-S to -T-T-S- so that they wouldn't be flying on the same days as Easyjet

In fairness, I think Jet2 would have decided on their M---FS- frequency when they still thought they had a monopoly on the route. And since it's actually Easyjet who have decided to compete with Jet2, then it's they who should have decided to have their flights to non-Jet2 days.

But that's missing the point of it all isn't it :ouch:

Frankly, I think it would have been far more popular had Easyjet introduced a new route from Newcastle instead of going head to head with Jet2 on Krakow :ugh:

transwede
30th Nov 2006, 09:03
Jet2

Jet2 still seem to need to reorganize times on quite alot of their flights, unless it means NCL is to get 6 based aircraft, of which would not seem to fly very often. Even though timings for AMS, BGO and TFS have not yet been announced flights all seem to leave NCL at around the same time. Look at saturday for example;

NCL-LGW 0640/0945
NCL-MJV 0905/1540
NCL-VLC 1030/1630
NCL-PMI 1115/1725
NCL-AGP 1315/1945
NCL-KRK 1330/1910

Assuming the LGW a/c would operate another route in the afternoon (If it is a 146 would this happen or would the 146 be dedicated to LGW run?) then it means that NCL would have 5 based a/c - only doing 1 flight per day, hardly financially viable. My thinking is that lots of rescheduling is going to occur.

Easyjet

Nice to see EZY sticking to thier promnise of 7 based a/c, maybe that summer will see 7 and then winter reverts back to 6? Would of been nice to see a new route from them and I think it is highly unlikely that they will give up GVA, considering its popularity. Maybe we will see HB a/c arriving. Lets also remember that EZY do seem to get very protective over their operations and for a while they had it good at NCL with no competition, now with the arrival of Jet2 they seem to be feeling threatened. Increase in frequency on PMI and AGP (both served by LS) and new routes to KRK and MAH (both LS routes). Could we see a mini-battle at NCL between locos?

Anyone else read the 'Flyjet-2' thread? Seems we are to loose them as a based charter carrier at the end of next summer? Anyone know if there is any truth in the posting?

mmeteesside
30th Nov 2006, 09:15
Jet2
Anyone else read the 'Flyjet-2' thread? Seems we are to loose them as a based charter carrier at the end of next summer? Anyone know if there is any truth in the posting?

This would be true - when Flyjet started flying for XL didn't they sign a contract for 3 years? They started at NCL in Summer 2005, that meant they had 2005, 2006, 2007 and then after Summer 2007 the contract is finished. This will see NCL gain an extra based XL aircraft though.

POL1W
30th Nov 2006, 09:16
Looks like Amsterdam is to stay after all. A banner ad on their website states Amsterdam flights from NCL on sale soon!

fl dutchman
30th Nov 2006, 10:53
Looks like Amsterdam is to stay after all. A banner ad on their website states Amsterdam flights from NCL on sale soon!

They must be reading this forum.

transwede
30th Nov 2006, 11:14
mmeteesside Flyjet actually started flying this summer, summer 2006. I thought the contract was for 3 full years, meaning both summer and winter so by my maths they shouldn't be leaving us until the end of winter 08/09? That is 3 full years???? Shame if they do go!:uhoh:

Goldtrail Holidays have increased capacity for summer 2007 and are operating the usual OHY Airbus flights to DLM and BJV but have also added AYT and ADB. These are in addition to Onur flights onbehalf of Holidays4u.

crewboi83
30th Nov 2006, 15:07
I hope they are reading this, then they can get some good feedback! best way to figure out new routes and stuff, and upto now i have to admit they been pretty good at that :D

HH6702
30th Nov 2006, 18:09
Here are the details

Friday flight to antalya in 19:00 out 20:00

Tue flight to izmir in 09:00 out 10:00

Great about jet2 lets see 6 aircraft.

nclpilot
1st Dec 2006, 11:48
Really surprised at the thread on FJE. However the aircraft is sat for days at a time which must be a strain on cash. Fje1, whom is normally so positive, seems to have posted a reply which was very downbeat - I do feel soo sorry for the crews.
Will XLA base an aircraft here then?:confused:

NCL1
1st Dec 2006, 12:36
TCX are rumoured to launch Toronto flights from NCL Summer 07, also beleive Globespan will do also, does this mean an end to the Air Transat schedueles in summer or will they be as well as???

skyman771
1st Dec 2006, 13:44
NCL1

No Air Transat for S07 as contract has now expired, note you are a new subscriber & possibly missed the thread, but topic has been discussed at legnth on this forum over past few months. GSM has a weekly service STN-NCL-YHM & maybe there is also to be a once weekly TCX into YYZ ?

MarkBHX
1st Dec 2006, 15:38
TCX are meant to be starting a YYZ in 2007, at the expense of BHX so I imagine it will be on a Saturday, arriving at aroung 6am and leaving at 12 if the timings are the same. The BHX flight has been replaced by GSM I believe!

transwede
1st Dec 2006, 17:38
TCX YYZ flight will operate on thursdays directly replacing Transat service. Globespans YHM service is on 757 on sundays and does YHM-NCL-STN-NCL-YHM.

Also noted a vast increase on Onur Air movements for next summer, tues to ADB, thu to DLM, 3 flights on a fri to BJV, DLM and AYT, Sat DLM and Sun BJV. 7 flights a week!

Who knows what will happen when FJE disappear, maybe XLA or maybe Excel Aviation will contract another carrier in? Shame though.

nclpilot
1st Dec 2006, 18:03
Who is operating to SFB next year?

RE FJE - I was thinking whom would replace them. Surely its time for XLA to bring the own a/c in. There aren't to many other carriers whom I would see would take the work and set up base - quite a committment

go-egnt
1st Dec 2006, 18:44
Currently only SFB is MON on the Sat with there A330.

Summer 07 will see a MON A330 at newcastle on fri for dom rep, and sat for sfb (note thr sfb has been dropped).

Thats a massive decrease to half to the number of seas available compared to last year. Have heard rumors on here that Travel City Direct (possibly using XLA) will be doing a SFB but no-one has said for certain or revealed their sources, so i think it may just be wishful thinking.

HH6702
3rd Dec 2006, 13:35
CO still haven't ruled out new york from newcastle for summer 2007
they still have 2 new routes to go on sale for next summer

Jamesair
3rd Dec 2006, 15:55
Been away for a few weeks.....there seems to have been quite a bit happening but only a once a week to Limoge from Flybe, surely there will be more to come.

Jet 2 don't seem to have announced any summer 07 flights to Bergen yet.

I'm surprised at the 1 weekly flight to SFB...I would have thought with nearly $2 to the £1 trips to the USA would be exremely popular next year. Maybe things will change.

a/c No.7 for Easyjet....that is good news but an odd choice of new routes.

ncleflights
3rd Dec 2006, 21:08

HH6702, where is this comming from, CO HQ in Houston did confirm a few weeks ago that ncl would be a non runner for them in 2007. Of desired routes from New York over ther next two years ie to 2008, ncle does not even deserve a mention in their business plan.

skyman771
4th Dec 2006, 13:05
HH6702, where is this comming from, CO HQ in Houston did confirm a few weeks ago that ncl would be a non runner for them in 2007. Of desired routes from New York over ther next two years ie to 2008, ncle does not even deserve a mention in their business plan.
Ncleflights, you are not the only one who 'raised an eybrow' on noting the comment from HH6702. The other side of this is also with CO totally preoccupied in attempting to gain 'China rights' and having not acquired any additional 752's for the North Atlantic, then available equipment is dictated predominantly by the utilisation of 777's set aside for China expansion. Only their release for other routes should China not go ahead will through a 'knock on effect' release capacity for other routes to be upgraded possibly releasing 752's for route development.:confused:

transwede
4th Dec 2006, 15:49
Any further developements on the rumours that were circulating a while back regarding Menzies Aviation coming to NCL as a ground agent? Numerous comments being made over contracts etc?

HH6702
4th Dec 2006, 17:46
been posted on a different forum

ncleflights
4th Dec 2006, 19:31
been posted on a different forum

Well this forum is perhaps wrong, unless of course CO are trying to confuse everybody by telling everybody its not going to happen, why would they?

Also if it was going to happen next year would the seats not already by on sale, remember this time last year AA had announced the flights for SO6, released some, sold some and pulled the route by now. I suspect the other forum is complete guess work on the part of someone.

skyman771
5th Dec 2006, 12:37
HH6702 why do you make this statement when judging from your recent post on another thread you know absolutely nothing about CO's op's?:confused:
johnrizzo2000
any new on ncl to ewr for winter 07/08?

HH6702
5th Dec 2006, 20:04
sorry skyman771 didn't know you were Mr Parkin and know about what CO was planning!!!
I say the same about you as me that your guessing what is happening.
The only person who will know will the Mr parkin and CO.
Spotters on here are only guessing and CO will e-mail you saying they have no plans as they dont want it leek out on here!

It was stated by somebody else on pprune that CO still have 2 new routes to go on sale for 2007.
Top of the list was NCL and lyon. This person got the info from another forum.

In my eyes there may still be some hope maybe for winter 2007.

Stop being negitive as some people on here still have hope and there might JUST be some truth in this leastest rumour.
It's worth stating on here what is said!

ncleflights
5th Dec 2006, 20:43
HH6702

It is worth stating on here what is said if their is any truth in it. In this particular instance I don't think their is. If Newcastle were to get CO for summer 07 these seats would be on sale NOW, if they are going to fill a 757 they cant wait until the last minute to release seats. With regards to your comment about Mr P, I suggest that you check what he said in the press when AA pulled the route and that was In order for Newcastle to have a New York route for Summer 07 another carrier must be found by late Summer 06. NONE HAS BEEN FOUND.

Which forum are you are on about that mentions NCL is on the top of the list for summer 07 as no one else seems to be able to find it.

On the issue of someone starting the route is Winter 07, this is pure fantasy even Mr P recognises that the route would have to build initially on a good Summer season first. To start in the winter makes no business sense.

Finally your comment about CO denying the possibity of a NCL route by email in case it leaks out is complete rubbish, I suppose the lack of any mention in their 2 year business plan is another conspiracy theory of yours I suppose.

I don't think people dismissing the possibility of the route in Summer 07 are been negative just realistic we all probably want this route to happen. We all need to keep our feet on the ground though.

nclairportfan
5th Dec 2006, 22:43
I see BE has announced BHD-CWL twice daily. If a base was established in either NCL or CWL does anyone else think they will take up the NCL - CWL route, twice daily at good business times? Worked well for Air Wales? And flybe are cheaper, well than T3 anyway!!

GrahamK
6th Dec 2006, 11:04
Jet2 NCL-AMS 2 x Daily for Summer 2007.

As for CO and NCL-EWR, if it was going to happen for 2007, it would have been announced by now. If it does happen, it will be for the Summer 2008 at the earliest.

nclpilot
6th Dec 2006, 13:26
Anymore news on flyjet at NCL?

I see the website is still recruiting for crew but I have heard many have left already.

skyman771
6th Dec 2006, 13:36
In my eyes there may still be some hope maybe for winter 2007.
Stop being negitive as some people on here still have hope and there might JUST be some truth in this leastest rumour.
It's worth stating on here what is said!
HH6702 Whatever you choose to label me as I'm certainly not a daydreamer of which your recent postings are symptomatic! However on some of your other assertions regarding who may know what show incredible naivety. Parkin is only the head of a organisation with a team working on route acquisition in conjunction with external organisations such as One North East re funding & marketing. As it happened I came by specific information re the earlier NYC proposal some weeks prior to announcement by pure chance from a most unlikely source at NCL , certainly not from Parkin, but I'm not prepared to divulge who. Looking forwards I have not noted anything positive on a 07 NYC service, as I suspect has anyone else.
What you can do HH6702, is to continue your daydreaming about a S08 service, but then that’s some time away in aviation terms & who know's anything is possible.;)

transwede
6th Dec 2006, 14:26
Flyjet

FJE seem to be running normally, schedule is quite quiet on the run up to xmas but after that busy programme resumes. They are also due to continue operations into summer 07. I'm sure I read that when Silverjet took over FJE that charter ops would continue until atleast october 07 and then a review would take place. Never heard of all the crew leaving though!!! Doesn't sound too promising, however it could all be rumour and FJE could be running quite well!

This talk about CO and NYC is getting rather agitated now, perhaps we should all just wait for an official announcement.:ugh:

nclairportfan all does seem quite subdued on the BE NCL expansion front. I thought more would have been said by now and looking at schedules for summer 07 EXT, SOU and BHD are all still non-based a/c, leaving just LIG as NCL originating.

NCL1
6th Dec 2006, 14:54
I don't think FJE are still recruiting for crew, it has said that on the application since around january last year. I'm sure they will need more crew for summer 07 if crew have left during the year they have been at ncl.

nclairportfan
6th Dec 2006, 22:02
So, do we assume the BE LIG flights is repositioning from elsewhere? Seems a bit odd, would have though a w rotation would have suited it better.

Personally, I believe BE have lots of potential from NCL. CPH, SNN, NWI, FRA, CWL, ABZ, NQY, BHX, TLS, BOD, EGC are all routes they could make a real success of, as they have proved with SOU and EXT.

Hopefully the four based aircraft will come off!

Jamesair
6th Dec 2006, 22:17
JET 2

I note that the AMSTERDAM schedule is now on the Jet 2 site. It operates at a twice daily frequency M - F with one flight on Sa and Su.

This just leaves BERGEN from the old route structure and whatever other routes they may announce.

FLYBE

Hopefully the talks with the airport have been completed and, if successful, new routes should be announced soon.

lectureral
8th Dec 2006, 09:05
Despite Skyman771's optimism these flights have still not been released by Easyjet - I am hearing that it is to be a winter only service alternating with Nice as summer only. Has anybody any further or better info?

Marra123
8th Dec 2006, 13:18
As far as I know with regards to the NCL-GVA flight for summer 07, This flight is not available on E-res (Easyjet reservasion system) so I would say its defnitly not operating in the summer. As for operating as a winter destination I wouldnt be so sure, figures for december 06 are pretty poor average loads being approx 50 pax!

BIG E
8th Dec 2006, 14:58
Marra,have just checked the average LF for december which works out at a lot more than 50 pax! It is true there is generally a lull before christmas but after that the ski season kicks in and the pax numbers will increase significantly.

cheers

BIG E

Marra123
8th Dec 2006, 15:25
BIG E

Yeah I know what you mean about it picking up after xmas, Just look at summer 06 for GVA the flights were packed between July and September,
obviously oct/nov being the quiet times.

Jamesair
10th Dec 2006, 15:57
everything seems to have gone very quiet.

Does anybody know whether the Flybe talks about basing 4 a/c at N/cle were successfully concluded or not?

transwede
11th Dec 2006, 09:55
Hope talks with BE did work out, they woyld make a nice addition to NCL. Using smaller a/c they have the potential to make more routes viable as cost base is lower and less seats to fill! So far only LRT is a based a/c according to schedules with other routes to EXT, SOU, BHD and JER remaining the same as now. Does anybody know if they actually plan to open a base, complete with staff?

My only concern is space at NCL during the night/early morning. I have said it before but space was at a premium this summer. Next summer more a/c are based and there is only so many extra parking stands that can be built! Next summer sees:

Charter: 1xMYT, 3xTOM, 2xTCX, 2xXLA, 1xFJE.
Sched Based: 1xMail, 1xKL, 5xT3, 7XEZY, 4/5xLS with SN, AF and BA all nitestopping one a/c each.

That makes potentially 31 a/c on the ground and/or departing at the same time! 35 if BE are to base 4 units. Where are they going to park everything, let alone for early departures check in and board pax from. IMHO there is not enough gates, stands and check in counters.

Seems XLA will eventually have a/c based during the winter during the season 07/08. Must be replacing Flyjet?

Jamesair
11th Dec 2006, 11:19
I can see that could be a problem but the Airport must be aware of these restraints on growth and surely they have plans to deal with it.

I thought I read a while back that a number of new check-in desks and stands were planned for next year.

skyman771
11th Dec 2006, 11:22
...and there is only so many extra parking stands that can be built!
O.K. so what is the restricting resouce(s) .... Land, Cash, or Time ???:ugh:

Ops Guy
11th Dec 2006, 13:28
Jamesair: I thought I read a while back that a number of new check-in desks and stands were planned for next year[QUOTE]

All of 2 extra stands B738 size. To be built this winter. WOW :ugh: :ugh:

As for check in desks havent heard anything on that one. I think the airlines and management are trying to get more people to check in on-line and use those self service kiosks (which isn't the answer). Obviously BA won't have as many desks now they have pulled the LGW route. That won't make much differance though. I do know that the new security search area is being moved, for what ever reason. Its great that NCL is growing but we need to have the infractructure in place to meet the demand from airlines and the paying passengers.

[QUOTE] Skyman771: O.K. so what is the restricting resouce(s) .... Land, Cash, or Time ???

It shouldn't be any of these. NCL has loads of land. If the demand is there they should just be built!! The management need to get there :mad: in at stupid o clock in the summer and releaise that we have run out off space.

transwede
12th Dec 2006, 09:22
With the moving of the security search area, does this mean that more than one x-ray machine will be in use at any one time? The ques are horrendous at peak times and 2 check points are the most that are ever in operation, and even this is rare!

The airport authority also need to invest in more coaches/drivers for boarding a/c parked on remote stands. Quite often inbound flights have to wait and a/c of A320 up get 2 buses, one of which has to come back after its first load. Departures are much the same. During early morning rushes, upto 6 flights are boarded from gate 16 (where all remote departures are processed), this gate is not big enough when you think that there could be upto 800 pax at a time in there with 6 departures!

Expansion is good for the airport, passengers and the NE in general but with inadequate facilities airlines will be put off starting new services and expanding existing ones!!:=

I see that couple of charters cancelled this winter, SN saturday VRN service and Austrian Airlines SZG!

transwede
12th Dec 2006, 16:28
Aer Arann, Irish regional airline is to start services from NCL to Galway! 4 times per week using ATR72 equipment. Flights start in June 2007!

Another nice addition to NCL route network!

SWBKCB
12th Dec 2006, 16:38
Flybe showing no based aircraft at NCL between now and next October - see www dot nextgenerationairline dot com for a list of aircraft bases by type. :(

_ShIfTy_
12th Dec 2006, 17:33
Any further developements on the rumours that were circulating a while back regarding Menzies Aviation coming to NCL as a ground agent? Numerous comments being made over contracts etc?

Latest I’ve heard is that menzies have the eastern, thomsonfly and thomas cook contracts. Anyone else heard info regarding menzies and NCL.

POL1W
13th Dec 2006, 10:50
Looks like this route is being pulled 24 Mar 07. Wonder if it will be replaced with a new FR destination, or whether the aircraft will be used elsewhere on a more lucrative route.

heinzmanm
13th Dec 2006, 11:08
FR are starting 6 new routes and as such, are ceasing a total of 6 current routes to free up aircraft.

transwede
13th Dec 2006, 11:42
Wonder if it is definately confirmed about Menzies contracts, the likes of TOM and TCX have been very loyal to Swissport over the years, but then again if they think they'll get better service then why not? Good news for jobs too, Menzies will need quite alot!

Disappointed BE are not following through on their promise of based a/c and lots of expansion, though maybe as part of the longer term developement plan it could still happen - just maybe later in the year or next?!

skyman771
13th Dec 2006, 12:03
Disappointed BE are not following through on their promise of based a/c and lots of expansion, ....
Probably worked out no available stands to accommodate them :E

nclpilot
13th Dec 2006, 12:06
Where did the information about Menzies come from?
I knew Thomas Cook had a bad summer and were now happy with Swissport, but Thomsonfly were well looked after!
I would be very surprised in Thomsonfly decided to move.

Ops Guy
13th Dec 2006, 12:26
Skyman771: Probably worked out no available stands to accommodate them :E

There is always the long term carpark!!

dwlpl
13th Dec 2006, 13:44
Looks like this route is being pulled 24 Mar 07. Wonder if it will be replaced with a new FR destination, or whether the aircraft will be used elsewhere on a more lucrative route.

The aircraft used on the Newcastle/Oslo route is Liverpool based, so if a new route is to be introduced it will be from LPL.

ncleflights
13th Dec 2006, 15:39
Flybe showing no based aircraft at NCL between now and next October - see www dot nextgenerationairline dot com for a list of aircraft bases by type. :(

I would not get to worked up yet, this appears to have not been updated for a while. It does not for example appear to show Cardiff (recent announced base) as having an overnight stop aircraft which is does have.

I would wait until the end of the year when theb full programme is announced before we can rule out FLYBE base

682ft AMSL
13th Dec 2006, 20:24
BHD - CWL is flown on a BHD based a/c according to the schedule on flybe.com. Remember, flybe's definition of 'base', 'hub' etc for marketing purposes is quite different to what people on here might interpret from a crewing, aircraft basing etc perspective.

Jamesair
13th Dec 2006, 23:06
Very much a win one lose one situation with Galway and Oslo.

Oslo might create an opportunity for Wideroe to move in.

transwede
14th Dec 2006, 10:23
FlyBe did have a ful page spread in the local paper, 400 jobs and it even mentioned new possible routes so I do think that a NCL operation is a long term plan, just maybe when the airport expand a little to cope with expansion or even a start next winter is possible.

CT2 flights have also ceased trading. Heres a tip for any pax looking for alternative flights, freedom and xl also have a tfs flight, as do Jet2, check them out!!

All this rumour surrounding Menzies, surely somebody can shed some light and confirm it? Though I am not surprised if T3, TOM and TCX do move, those airlines were not too satisfied with Swissport from what has been mentioned. Whos to say another will be any different?

crewboi83
14th Dec 2006, 18:24
CT2 flights have also ceased trading. Heres a tip for any pax looking for alternative flights, freedom and xl also have a tfs flight, as do Jet2, check them out!!

Thing is transwede, CT2 have a lot of seats booked on carriers such as XL.com, and I know that Jet2.com also have a fair bit of custom from CT2. I dont think this will effect the carriers though

HH6702
14th Dec 2006, 19:56
maybe jet2 will taken on oslo 3x weekly.

they have made bergan work!

HH6702
14th Dec 2006, 20:07
i think flybe said that the last part of the summer 07 launch of routes will be 1st week of jan after the deal has been completed on 31st dec.

fl dutchman
15th Dec 2006, 20:46
I hear this extra ( tactical ) aircraft will be an A319??. Summer only. Any views?.

Jamesair
15th Dec 2006, 22:46
Jet 2 has put Bergen on its Summer 2007...coming on sale soon list on its website.

_ShIfTy_
16th Dec 2006, 13:44
I hear this extra ( tactical ) aircraft will be an A319??. Summer only. Any views?.

If easyjet do base a 7th aircraft I think it will more then likely be a 737-700. This will allow all the current Newcastle based crews to operate the aircraft encase of last minute crew changes due to sickness or technical reasons.

I heard again today at work that menzies is definitely coming to Newcastle in the march period. The contacts I was told they have are Thomas cook, Thomsonfly, eastern and maybe British airways.

crewboi83
16th Dec 2006, 15:22
Id be very suprised if BA went across to Menzies, However I wouldnt be suprised to see Jet2 join them

HH6702
19th Dec 2006, 13:06
paphos saturdays
xla953/4 starts 10/2 until 28/4
lands around 23.30 out 00:30 (sunday)
aircraft 737
info from updated charter timetable on airport website
Have heard that Menzies are starting in may offering staff around 6.50-7.00 pounds per hr. Also heard that one of the airlines may be going to servicair and not menzies

ncleflights
20th Dec 2006, 01:23
Interesting article in the local Newcastle press tonight. Basically it stated that a year after AA pulled the plug on the flights direct to New york the airport and One North East are no closer to finding a replacement airline.

They did say that this route was a priority for 2007 in order I suppose to get something running in Summer 2008. This does mean that NCL are the only airport in the UK top ten, with regard to number of passengers, that does not have a direct scheduled service to New York

Hopefully this will put some of the runmours on here about DELTA and CONTINENTAL comming to Newcastle to bed for a while.

No news on FLYBE should we be worried?

lukeylad
20th Dec 2006, 09:51
Is there the demand in newcastles catchment area for a New York route?

ncleflights
20th Dec 2006, 15:15
Is there the demand in newcastles catchment area for a New York route?

The airport thinks their is demand as does One North East, apparently the cancellation of the service cost the region £5 million pounds - well according the One North East.

The article goes on to state that they are having trouble finding a replacement airline. CO did want to start in SO7 but when AA came in a year earlier the CO 757 no doubt went elsewhere. CO expansion now seems to be towards India and China.

The aritcle did say that AA may come back now fuel prices have levelled off, god help us all if they did as most folks will have already lost confidence in them after the last fiasco.

HH6702
20th Dec 2006, 18:58
i belive that only AA will look at ncl now for a new york route.
i think that co will not touch us since AA dropped out.

lets hope we hear something by mid 2007 for 2008 then.

CentreFix25
21st Dec 2006, 19:08
New airbridge went up quick, operational tomorrow i'm told.

crewboi83
21st Dec 2006, 23:34
Im a bit bored of this NYC rumour. All the rumours about AA/CO going to JFK, personally would rather see EK cum in with the A330, at least then we would have some decent connections to world wide places, rather than just the states.
I can see AA/CO fannying around that much that the likes of GSM will get in there first and after flying with them recently I can assure you I wont be repeating my business with them.

GrahamK
22nd Dec 2006, 07:29
Are BA using larger a/c on NCL-LGW as a result of LHR flights being cancelled until saturday, or is everyone being put onto trains and buses?

crewboi83
22nd Dec 2006, 16:21
Are BA using larger a/c on NCL-LGW as a result of LHR flights being cancelled until saturday, or is everyone being put onto trains and buses?

Looks likes its just the usual mix of 733s/734 and 735s
Although it wouldnt have been a bad idea if they could get it going, but its weather isnt it, as soon as they start preparing to move services to LGW the fog would clear lol and LGW has had fog this week 2, i did 2 early morning LGWs this week, both were due in at 0930 to MAN and i ended up landing just after 1pm!

However, whats going on with the NCL DUS, it was a A321 today and the 737 operated a while back.

OltonPete
23rd Dec 2006, 08:58
Just went on another forum and used a link to the airline and Newcastle
is in the drop down box of the booking engine but I could not book
flights. Is this normal to have NCL in Emirates booking engine, I have
checked before and never seen Newcastle offered?

A post on the same forum a few days ago said Newcastle is definite
but not announced.

Pete

OltonPete
23rd Dec 2006, 09:05
Just tried it on the airline UK page and it is definitely not there but
as I can't post the link (advertising) you will have to go on the EK thread
on a very well known site beginning with "a" - it definitely worked
for me.

I tried going on to the UAE page but Newcastle was not mentioned
there either. If anyone can confirm that I am not going mad I would be
very pleased.

Pete

skyman771
23rd Dec 2006, 09:41
Looks likes its just the usual mix of 733s/734 and 735s
Although it wouldnt have been a bad idea if they could get it going, but its weather isnt it, as soon as they start preparing to move services to LGW the fog would clear lol and LGW has had fog this week 2, i did 2 early morning LGWs this week, both were due in at 0930 to MAN and i ended up landing just after 1pm!

I read on another thread that BA had operated 777's on the LGW - EDI recently and for what it is worth on this mornings BBC news broadcast (as it's BBC probably nothing) but they did say that on certain routes today to get traffic back to normal BA intended using 747's.............. though presumably here we are talking LHR based machines.
I really can not see sufficient punters hanging around at LHR to fill anything other than the 'usual mix' on the NCL.
Finally more amunition for all those that have an issue with Easy's contempt regards their quality of service to NCL, the ONLY Easy flight canx. out of STN this moring was the 513/514 STN-NCL !. To add insult to injury the EZY flight currently showing the longest delay at STN (2.5 hrs - indefinite) is the 515 !
What a complete shower of incompetent t**sers !:yuk:

10 DME ARC
23rd Dec 2006, 10:41
Emirates
If you click on "flight schedules" on EK web site NCL is in the destination list.

Ops Guy
23rd Dec 2006, 10:56
Now only waiting for an offical announcement from NIA. Wonder why the delay in announcing the route!!! :ok:

Marra123
23rd Dec 2006, 18:17
I read on another thread that BA had operated 777's on the LGW - EDI recently and for what it is worth on this mornings BBC news broadcast (as it's BBC probably nothing) but they did say that on certain routes today to get traffic back to normal BA intended using 747's.............. though presumably here we are talking LHR based machines.
I really can not see sufficient punters hanging around at LHR to fill anything other than the 'usual mix' on the NCL.
Finally more amunition for all those that have an issue with Easy's contempt regards their quality of service to NCL, the ONLY Easy flight canx. out of STN this moring was the 513/514 STN-NCL !. To add insult to injury the EZY flight currently showing the longest delay at STN (2.5 hrs - indefinite) is the 515 !
What a complete shower of incompetent t**sers !:yuk:

Regarding the EZY stn flights this morning,

G-EZKE was used on the 0640 NCL-STN (EZY512) which would have returned as EZY513 then back down to STN as 514 and back up again as 515 then onto FAO at 14.10. What happened was....
STN were an aircraft down and had 149 pax checked in to go to LYS at 06.15 so a/c G-EZKE operated this route (leaving the NCL pax to be coached) it departed around 9am bound for Lyon and returned to STN around 2pm, a/c then operated the delayed EZY515 back to NCL arrive approx 15.45!

chris1001
23rd Dec 2006, 19:43
Found this on Business Traveller website;
Emirates' European expansion plans have been blunted by the late delivery of the A380 super jumbo. But it will add Venice to its network next July and is rumoured to be starting a Newcastle service from September.
By rights Emirates ought to have been adding more cities than these two. After all, the idea was that the A380s would have taken over its most popular services. In turn that would have allowed the smaller B777s and Airbus A330s to develop other routes.
"Aircraft availability is our stumbling block [when it comes to European expansion]," Keith Longstaff, the carrier's senior VP for commercial operations in Europe, admitted to Business Traveller. "Emirates isn't expected to receive its first A380 until August 2008. Yet originally we'd planned to have 18 of these planes in service by then."
The five times a week service from Venice to Dubai will get under way on July 1, increasing to daily from September 1. Flights will be operated by A330-200s fitted with 27 business and 251 economy class seats.
Venice currently has no long-haul air service. Travellers wishing to reach the outside world must take connecting flights to Milan Malpensa, Rome or other European hubs like Frankfurt, Paris and London.
Emirates will capitalise on these shortcomings. Its flights out of Venice will connect in Dubai for beyond destinations. Says HH Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Maktoum, the carrier's chairman and chief executive, "Venice is a popular tourist destination and an important gateway in Northern Italy for commerce. Our new service will contribute to Italy's many flourishing small to medium-sized businesses by providing increased access from Venice to other major cities around the globe via Dubai."
Rumours also abound that Emirates will bring long-haul air service to the UK northeast late next summer. Industry insiders suggest the carrier will operate a daily two-class A330-200 service from Newcastle to Dubai starting on September 1.
As in the case of Venice, the service would also provide beyond connections. It would also be the first ever long-haul eastbound flight from Newcastle whose catchment area extends to the Scottish borders in the north and as far south as York.
At the time of writing, spokespeople for both Newcastle airport and Emirates would neither confirm nor deny these rumours.
Let's hope that if this is true, EK will operate overnight at least one way, preferably to Dubai. Most UK flights seem to depart late evening. Fantastic for the region if this comes off - North East to the worlds fastest growing city - Direct!
:)

skyman771
23rd Dec 2006, 20:19
Regarding the EZY stn flights this morning,
G-EZKE was used on the 0640 NCL-STN (EZY512) which would have returned as EZY513 then back down to STN as 514 and back up again as 515 then onto FAO at 14.10. What happened was....
STN were an aircraft down and had 149 pax checked in to go to LYS at 06.15 so a/c G-EZKE operated this route (leaving the NCL pax to be coached) it departed around 9am bound for Lyon and returned to STN around 2pm, a/c then operated the delayed EZY515 back to NCL arrive approx 15.45!
A nice piece of factual prose BUT with predictable ommissions, my understanding was that there was a full load booked in on EZY513 and as ever I suppose you think that it is justifiable to gloss this over that "STN were an aircraft down" I note that you provide no valid reason to justify taking the NCL aircraft. As it happens it turned into a disaster that should be published. They bussed the EZY513 pax to NCL but there was so much traffic on the roads that those unfortunate to be on the bus were still stuck in traffic on the M1 somewhere when the 515 departed at 15.00 this flight itself delayed by some three and a half hours. I am told that there were football fans on the coach that had booked their return flight on the EZY522 at 19.55 and it was unlikely that they would even arrive in time to check in at NCL. Obviously they had no need to be in the North East having missed the football match. Incidentally the planning that allowed the 515 to arrive some four hours late ! also negated the need for many of these pax to make the journey as they too missed the football match.
All because some pratt at EZY preferred Lyon to NCL. Incidentally it is worth pointing out that EZY had taken the oportunity due to the recent fog problems at LHR to increase the price on the one way fare between NCL & STN today to over £105 & taxes. But even this premium fare did not save the service being axed.
To all involved at EZY you are pathetic and someone should be made to account.:yuk:

ncleflights
24th Dec 2006, 09:41
skyman771

I am not surprised look at the contempt that Easyjet showed the folks at Newcastle during the Summer, we had more than our fair share of cancellations.

Lets hope that Jet2 give Easyjet a good kicking on the routes wher they compete, if nothing else it will show easy that the folks of he NE are sick of the slap dash customer service we receive from them. Bring back Stelios the current management at easyjet haven't got a clue!! At present they don't seem too bothered about the Newastle base and its passengers

dwlpl
24th Dec 2006, 10:21
Stelios is back and has been since mid 2005.

OltonPete
24th Dec 2006, 15:35
Taken from another forum: -

EK35 DXB - NCL Arrives 12.10 EK36 NCL - DXB departs 13.40 from 1/9/07.

I do not know which system it has been taken from (could be EK's own).

As stated before, just need an official announcement!

Pete

sweet home ncl
24th Dec 2006, 16:21
Lets hope it's anounced asap to get those all important advanced bookings rolling in.
I still think 7 flights per week seems very ambitious, 3 or 4 sounds more sensible, but I guess they have done their sums and most likely one northeast will be 'chipping in'. If this route fails to get off the ground we may have had it with regard to future L/H routes.

Smile!!!
24th Dec 2006, 16:36
Most definatley daily from thier current schedule, though we must remember it hasnt been realeased yet so that could change. The flight departs NCL at 13.40 after arrival at 7.20am. This looks like on an A330 on EK35 and EK36. Looks to me to be a quite acheiveable route for EK with world-wide connections at DXB. There will be a lot of capacity in the UK now for EK, with only the South west area of the UK with no services. Anyone know when the official announcement will be? I think it may not be until the New Year, maybe the first week of January. Time will tell all. Maybe this might get US carriers buts into gear!:}

skyman771
24th Dec 2006, 18:24
Lets hope it's anounced asap to get those all important advanced bookings rolling in.
I still think 7 flights per week seems very ambitious, 3 or 4 sounds more sensible, but I guess they have done their sums and most likely one northeast will be 'chipping in'. If this route fails to get off the ground we may have had it with regard to future L/H routes.
Jesus ! it's not even been officially anounced and the 'doom & gloom merchants' are already chipping away.:8
What you have to look at is possibly a config of 27 business and 251 in Y on a 2-4-2. So the market is to eat straight into all east bound longhaul business class with a mix of Dubai tourists & longhaul Y. Pax that would otherwise possibly have to make 2 connections rather than one via it's DXB hub. With all the chaos on the LHR & considering competition from AMS, CDG & BRS I believe they stand a bloody good chance & good luck to them. It's critical that they get a good start & if they can put their mega resources into a serious sustained marketing campaign from York / Leeds through to the scottish borders, then the demand will be justified.:ok:
It also doesn't take a genius to work out that the development will be watched with considerable interest across the pond & EK's success would definitely lead to even further routes.:ok:
Good luck guys's you've already got one punter !

crewboi83
24th Dec 2006, 23:12
Good luck to them! its about we had a good long haul airline in!
Personally I cant wait I was planning on going to Thailand in Nov 07 and was gonna have to fly from MAN, GLA or BHX as I was offered cheap flights with touchdown, maybe now I can get from NCL which will be so much better!

sweet home ncl
26th Dec 2006, 08:37
I wasn't doubting that the route did have a future!, I was just stating that I thought daily flights seemed ambitious when you consider that we currently have none. Anyone know how many oil industry workers from the NE are based in the mddle east? they would surely contribute to loads both in econ and business classes, we also have a fairly large south asian community here, hopefully EK will compete with BA and KLM on price for their custom.

sweet home ncl
26th Dec 2006, 08:44
Any idea how the route is doing? I was wondering why if you selected MAN as your departure airport for example, aer lingus offers connecting fares to several other world wide destinations (JFK,DXB,BOS etc...), but when you select NCl the only option listed is DUB?

Is this because the arrival into DUB from NCL is not a convinient time to make these connections?

skyman771
26th Dec 2006, 11:17
Any idea how the route is doing? I was wondering why if you selected MAN as your departure airport for example, aer lingus offers connecting fares to several other world wide destinations (JFK,DXB,BOS etc...), but when you select NCl the only option listed is DUB?
Is this because the arrival into DUB from NCL is not a convinient time to make these connections?
I was wondering the same. I booked a return for one of my colleagues several weeks at about a weeks notice. Unlike RYR , EI offer the convenience of choosing your seat online and the resulting seat maps indicating the vast choice available on both legs was well over 50%. I was at the same time looking to get to NYC avoiding LHR, DUB being a thought, but as was suggested with a mid afternoon arrival in DUB all the oceanic westbound flights have long departed.
So this does beg the question as to why exactly EI reinstated a route which since their departure has been 'adequately' provided by RYR. Some years back when EI themselves operated the route on a 'monopoly' they hardy threw much resource at the service in terms of equipment, but did offer a connection with NYC. Without attracting business fares this time round & poor loads & timings, the service in my view wont last more than 12 months.:(

dwlpl
26th Dec 2006, 11:36
They did the same with a service to LPL from DUB and it didn't last.
I think they flew the route just to kill an idle few aircraft hours between other flights.

Charlie Roy
26th Dec 2006, 12:20
EI offer the convenience of choosing your seat online and the resulting seat maps indicating the vast choice available on both legs was well over 50%.

Some people book but they do not choose their seat.
Maybe they couldn't be bothered
They forget
A travel agent / company secretary might be unable or unwilling to do this step when booking flights for someone else
A family they can't find enough seats together and need to sort that out at check-in
Or they wish to get assigned an emergency exit seat when they check-in at the airportI saw this when I flew with Aer Lingus last week (BRU - DUB). Up until the day before departure there was no one sitting next to me or even in front of me. On the day of travel all seats around me were full, and they were passengers sitting in the emergency exit rows.

In fact the online seat map showed just over 100 occupied seats, but in fact the next day there was exactly 150 passengers.

ncleflights
26th Dec 2006, 18:58
Stelios is back and has been since mid 2005.

Yes Stelios did return to the board at easy but is not involved in the day to day running of the airline. The point is that, in my opinion, the airline operated far better when he was firmly in charge.

PPRuNe Pop
26th Dec 2006, 22:05
Repeated once again:

Please do NOT post details of ANY airline's schedules. We do not allow it. Any further examples will get you a leave of absence from PPRuNe.

ncleflights
27th Dec 2006, 01:53
Just noticed this morning that Newcastle has now vanished from the EK website as a destination. I know it was there for the last few days but is no longer showing on the list of destinations.

BIG E
27th Dec 2006, 10:37
skyman771

You display an incredible amount of ignorance in you post over the easyjet cancellation.From the tone in your post you have no understanding of airline operations,do you honestly think a toss of a coin decides which flight gets canned?There is a multitude of scenarios to consider when making such a decision for example crew hours,night curfews,alternative transport,crew rating,airport restrictions,aircraft out of position to name but a few.Unless you had your head up your ar5e you may have noticed it was a very demanding period for all airlines so to manage a relatively small amount of cancellations bearing in mind the 2 biggest bases STN and LGW were amongst the worst affected is certainly not down to incompetency.Or are you going to slag off BA as well for leaving thousands of pax stranded all over the world?

Ops Guy
27th Dec 2006, 11:46
Handbags :D

CentreFix25
27th Dec 2006, 12:25
Summer'07 Charters (http://app.communicatorcorp.com/FileStorage/LinkedFiles/176/Summer%202007_tmpD3E5.pdf?_ctId=jgQrECI5kYI3AzuHl6VMaPEYzmEG NLPvvagQPOHZYIM%3d)

nclpilot
27th Dec 2006, 14:19
Anymore news about Menzies guys?

skyman771
27th Dec 2006, 14:29
skyman771
You display an incredible amount of ignorance in you post over the easyjet cancellation.From the tone in your post you have no understanding of airline operations,do you honestly think a toss of a coin decides which flight gets canned?There is a multitude of scenarios to consider when making such a decision for example crew hours,night curfews,alternative transport,crew rating,airport restrictions,aircraft out of position to name but a few.Unless you had your head up your ar5e you may have noticed it was a very demanding period for all airlines so to manage a relatively small amount of cancellations bearing in mind the 2 biggest bases STN and LGW were amongst the worst affected is certainly not down to incompetency.Or are you going to slag off BA as well for leaving thousands of pax stranded all over the world?
BIG E The only one with 'their head up their ar5e' is you ! A typical bland & uninformed response from a total plonker:8
Most if not all of the detail that you list (presumably recently read from some I-spy or similar manual that you received for christmas), is completely irrelevant regarding the factors in the decision to canx the early NCL. To take just one point that you make, though nothing that you mention really merits any response, what on earth had ' night curfews' to do as a factor in this actual scenario?
In future why not consider constructing a reasoned response if you have an issue in actual facts that I posted instead of quoting out of your newly acquired Xmas present:sad:

BIG E
27th Dec 2006, 16:08
Skyman

The point i am trying to make is that if you had taken the time to read my post properly is that there are a number of issues to consider when cancelling a flight,i did not say this was the reason.Its called 'the bigger picture'. I have been in the unfortunate position to have to cancel a flight and is not a decision that is taken lightly so i think i am in a position to comment,unlike yourself.....

ncleflights
27th Dec 2006, 18:31
Jet 2 Summer flights from NCL to TFS on sale from today, another bit of good news from JET2.

Skyman and BIG E this easyjet cancellation thing is beginning to get a bit personal. However I have to agree with Skyman and the total contempt they show the folks from the NE. It makes no sense that when BA were cancelling flights from LHR to NCL that easyjet had to add to passengers problems by cacncelling STN to NCL. This route must be one of the shortest in the easyjet network, I know it was when Go operated it. Surely with a bit of thought easyjet could have operated both Lyon on Ncle without inconveniencing any passengers.

simonwa
27th Dec 2006, 18:51
JET2 NCL - TFS

I see that the TFS route is using a based NCL aircraft - does this confirm that we have a B752 based at NCL next summer. It only operates Tues and Fri - what other routes will the B752 be operating?

mmeteesside
27th Dec 2006, 19:10
Yes the based B752 is confirmed, they are/were advertising for flight crew for a B752 at NCL when I looked the other day!

crewboi83
27th Dec 2006, 19:35
Well at the moment on the jet2 reservation system the daily Murcia is on the 757 at the moment, and then the TFS at 1600 ish, so at the moment, not enuff 757s to cover it, so unless the 2 days the tfs goes out the 737 ops the mjv, or another 757 might position up from MAN/LBA, personally id love to see 2x 737 2x 757 and the 146 in NCL!

BIG E
28th Dec 2006, 08:40
ncleflights

You are correct, its becoming a tad tedious,just to clarify,the STN-NCL was not sacrificed to operate the STN-LYS,there was another issue resulting in the canx of the NCL sector,as a consequence this aircraft was then utilised to sort out another problem out of STN.

skyman771
28th Dec 2006, 09:00
ncleflights
.....the STN-NCL was not sacrificed to operate the STN-LYS,there was another issue resulting in the canx of the NCL sector,as a consequence this aircraft was then utilised to sort out another problem out of STN.
........ and this issue was ??

EI-BUD
28th Dec 2006, 09:23
NCLEFlights, you mentioned about NCLSTN being one of the shortest flights on the EZY network , and you are right, but you reminded me of an EZY flight I took last June on GLABFS which was running late and the plane was only carrying about 40passengers . The flight was only 21minutes, so quick , up and down ! The captain actually said we would only be climbing to 19000ft... So I reckon STNNCL & GLABFS ( and prob EDIBFS ) are probably the shortest!

Have a great to New Year to everyone on here !!!!:ok:

BIG E
28th Dec 2006, 09:38
Don't think i need to divulge that information skyman,just wanted to clarify that the sector wasn't binned in favour of another.

Marra123
29th Dec 2006, 04:02
Alot of people are still talking about how bad of a summer easyjet have had. Since september I have seen a vast improvement in there service, including NCL. I cant think of any or many other canx flights they have had since september other than the STN last week. We must remember that they have brought alot to the NE, and where would we be without them?

crewboi83
29th Dec 2006, 09:06
Alot of people are still talking about how bad of a summer easyjet have had. Since september I have seen a vast improvement in there service, including NCL. I cant think of any or many other canx flights they have had since september other than the STN last week. We must remember that they have brought alot to the NE, and where would we be without them?

Marra is right, personally as much as i hate easyjet due to numerous bad flights with them i have to admit they seem to have got their service pulled round, all they need to sort out now is the service on board, i dont like being refered to as MATE by crew, and a smile wouldnt hurt, after all i have payed to stare at those miserable faces for a few hours!
its not national express is it?
They did bring a lot to the north east but they have to keep the service levels up, jet2 have a good reputation for onboard service and i know of manyh people who would pay a little more to have nice crew, allocated seats and a bit more porfessional service.

Tigger4Me
29th Dec 2006, 12:40
I've never had any complaint about the on board service. Perhaps some of the frontline staff on the ground could take a leaf out of their book particularly at another of their bases. I know that they are not Easy staff but they wear the uniform and represent the company. However, the main reason that I will not personally fly with them is the cattle truck mentality of the majority of SLF when it comes time to board. Whatever happened to allocated seating? It's not rocket science and Go always managed it until Easy took over. I always used to make sure that I was first in line at check in to get one of the first coveted 16 boarding cards until one occasion when we were all loaded onto a bus. Not much point in calling us forward by number really.

Sorry! Drifting a little from the thread. Back to NCL...

Aquarius Lad
30th Dec 2006, 12:11
Heard yesterday from a reliable source that the much awaited announcement regarding EK - DXB route will be mid Jan. Delay has been down to final licence applications taking longer than originally thought.

Get ready to book your tickets... :ok:

Jamesair
30th Dec 2006, 14:51
NCL is showing again on the Emirates website. The summer timetable is not yet available

Aquarius Lad
30th Dec 2006, 16:01
Also checked and its definitely there!

My credit card is poised at the ready, lets hope the announcent comes soon. :)

crewboy123
30th Dec 2006, 17:11
schedule is on EK website.. flight starts 1st Sept 2007 DAILY!

EK 036
leaves: 1340 Newcastle_Intl
arrives: 0005 * Dubai
aircraft: 332-JY
flight time: 7:25
Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su

EK 035
leaves: 0720 Dubai
arrives:1210 Newcastle_Intl
aircraft: 332-JY
flight time:7:50
Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su

Aquarius Lad
30th Dec 2006, 17:26
I wonder who will win the contract to handle them? Lets hope its Swissport rather than severly badly managed Servisair / Airway. I believe Servisair are going letting a number of their Duty Managers and Controllers go - is this the start of the end for Servisair? I have a very strong feeling Menzies will take on their remaining contracts...!!

CentreFix25
30th Dec 2006, 20:25
Lets hope they find the pax, and it lasts longer than NY

nclairportfan
31st Dec 2006, 00:18
Have to admit I kind of agree with CentreFix on this one. Whilst it is a hugely positive step that EK will run the NCL-DXB service, I think once daily with that amount of seats to fill is optimistic, especially when starting in September.

I know someone will have done the sums (probably the same people that did it for the JFK service) and that I am sure some money will be being spent by our RDF or whatever they're called now but I have to admit I am a little pessimistic, even with the potential O&D traffic at DXB to Asia, Middle East and Australias.

Will EK be able to compete on price with other established carriers. For example, BA in Sept currently brings up return fares from NCL-DXB return for around £350, with the connection in LHR. Am not sure EK's fares will match this and when all is said and done, economy pax will go for the cheapest option!

I think there is a lot to loose here. If this route doesn't work out because of a lack of pax numbers I think NCL will not achieve many of it's long haul aspirations for many years after the AA debacle!

I hope I am proved wrong!

ncleflights
31st Dec 2006, 01:51
nclairportfan

Thats what I like to see folks putting the route down and before its even announced.

On the subject of the New York debacle the route was pulled not because the seats were not selling but AA miscalculated and were selling at a loss due to a rise in fuel prices.

Come on folks lets be a bit more positive here, i can't believe that for years folks have complained about the lack of a long haul route out of ncle and when we get one folks still complain.

heslop2006
31st Dec 2006, 08:25
I'm optimistic about EK coming to NCL, The catchment area wont just be our area but it will extend to Edinburgh down to Leeds. Also we won't have to fly to another place to get transferred onto a connecting flight thus making the flight longer.

If people are being pessimistic then what does this say about any further long haul at NCL. I thought you would all be jumping at the fact that EK are taking the first move of all the carriers and coming to NCL.

Who know's? Could we see another long haul take example from EK? - Qatar Airways?, Pakistan Airlines?, Air India?.

Lets have a bit of hope people, because without us all optimistic then there will be no way that this route will suceed.

CentreFix25
31st Dec 2006, 09:56
Weather the people on this forum choose to be optomistic, pessimistic or realistic, it wont have any baring on the success of the route.

lukeylad
31st Dec 2006, 12:39
Major delays on the flyjet flights today any one know whats happening ??

virginblue
31st Dec 2006, 13:02
EK is able to fill twice daily flights from DUS and nobody would have expected this five years ago, given DUS lacklustre performance when it comes to longhaul services. I am sure EK will do nicely from NCL, they know how to make secondary markets work.

HH6702
31st Dec 2006, 14:09
It's due to take off from las palmas at 17:00

anybody know what is making the SSH at 17:00hrs tonight?

HH6702
31st Dec 2006, 14:13
I think that EK will make a good job of this.
I think that dubai may be a more popular place than new york.

Heard that airport had also put up prices once the new york route went on sale resulting in higher airport tax and fuel prices making the route unprofitable.

I do belive if dubai does well then other carriers like PK and AI may also start to look for servcies out of newcastle:) :) :)

_ShIfTy_
31st Dec 2006, 15:20
When the flyjet 757 left Newcastle yesterday it went tech on it's way to LPA and diverted to Gatwick, and is still currently at Gatwick I believe. So a Tri-Star from LIS is operating the SSH today.

heslop2006
31st Dec 2006, 15:21
What does anyone think about the possibilty that EK suceed that a british carrier such as VS could come to NCL. Any chance? Or am I dreaming?

virginblue
31st Dec 2006, 16:13
EK will mainly feed its DXB hub from NCL with pax and caqrgo and not focus on local DXB traffic. That's the difference if you compare it to the NYC service. AA had to rely to a much greater extent on local traffic and given the limited catchment area of NCL, this was a much greater challenge than a service that will feed a hub that serves the whole of Australasia and parts of Africa and the Middle East.

ncleflights
31st Dec 2006, 17:28
virginblue

AA were actually heavily marketing the JFK route as a gateway to the states and in alot of adverts they ran prior to the route been pulled advertised Newcastle to - and had a huge list of US cities. My family all live in NC in the USA and I had made several bookings myself with AA using JFK as a gateway to get me to Charlotte, North Carolina. I had a few colleagues that had done the same infact alot folks that I know had bookings on cancelled AA flights that were simply using JFK as a transit hub.

I still think NYC is more than viable daily and hopefully if EK make a great success of Dubai then we will have loads of other operators hoping to provide long haul to/from Newcastle.

EI-BUD
1st Jan 2007, 02:21
What does anyone think about the possibilty that EK suceed that a british carrier such as VS could come to NCL. Any chance? Or am I dreaming?

I dont think Virgin would come to Newcastle. Emirates could do well as they will feed many of the passengers via Dubai to a very impressive range of destinations. Emirates have done great work buliding the Dubai hub, the reason I believe the the Dubai route will have good passenger numbers is mainly because of the connection facility at Dubai.

Dubai as a destination will be popular but I think a sizeable proportion of the passengers on this route will be connecting to onward services.

Virgin would, on a route like that be relying on point to point traffic as they would not have interline arragements at Dubai....?

Having said all that I am delighted to see a new link between Dubai and Newcastle I think there will be a good number of pasengers using the route, but initially a daily service is too much. Perhaps a 4 weekly flight and then in time step it up to Daily. Time will tell.

Tigger4Me
1st Jan 2007, 09:30
You might be interested in this story from Sky News (http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30400-13559684,00.html?f=rss) this morning. If that comes off I imagine that they will be looking for other departure points in suitable catchment areas. I don't know the north east too well but guess that you have a good-sized Asian community.

SWBKCB
1st Jan 2007, 11:58
When the flyjet 757 left Newcastle yesterday it went tech on it's way to LPA and diverted to Gatwick, and is still currently at Gatwick I believe. So a Tri-Star from LIS is operating the SSH today.

Believe the FJE 757 had 2+ hour delay getting pax off the plane when it got back last night due strong winds - anybody know any more?

HH6702
1st Jan 2007, 14:20
Happy new year to you all

Heslop2006 i was thinking the same the other week about virgin but didn't say anything on here as i would be day dreaming again!!!!

I think virgin could make a real go at things here basing one aircraft.
how about this as an idea

orlando x2 weekly
New york x2 weekly
cape town x1 weekly
Shanghai x1 weekly
singapore x1 weekly

A few weeks back in the paper one north east was saying how good the region has become in attracting new business look at NCL airport.
It also stated that north east businesses are now doing a lot of business in the far east (shanghai was noted)
wounder if this was a hint of the next long haul route that they are after?

I belive that talks took place already between virgin and NCL maybe on the new york route. only time will tell but im sure that the door is open for virgin to start flights out of NCL.

SWBKCB
1st Jan 2007, 14:35
It'll be interesting to see how the EK flight does, as I think this will be looked at by many as an indication of the demand for long haul from the North East.

As for VS, apart from MAN-MCO (and I think a few dabbles from GLA?) they've shown as much interest in the regions as BA. Foreign carriers feeding into their hubs (as with the other major UK regional airports) remains the best bet.

irishcc
1st Jan 2007, 15:03
Perhaps Zoom UK could take on a NYC service when they are up and running...

HH6702
1st Jan 2007, 15:48
look at man and bhx there have carriers from the far east landing in the uk then onwards to USA or canada.
dont think it will be long before ncl adds to that list with man and bhx

AI and PK are the main ones.

noticed that EK serves new york so maybe one day they will carry on from newcastle to new york. i think i said that before on here.

How about this?
Dubai does really well so they add a second flight a day but it comes from dubai and onwards to new york and one comes from new york onwards to dubai.

Im sure that EK would like to take a market share from BA and the US carriers between the Uk and USA!

transwede
1st Jan 2007, 18:36
Is this all not getting a bit far fetched? Virgin, flights from NCL to shanghai????

Whilst I hope that NCL gets a portion of long haul services as its good for pax, the region and business but I think reality among discussion is important. Lets also remember that the EK announcement is not yet OFFICIAL and things are liable to change right up until the first flight departs.

I'd say that realistically the only long haul routes NCL has a decent chance at sustaining are primarily leisure destinations and those with decent connections to other destinations, NYC, MCO, Caribbean, Middle East, possibly India? I'd also say that Zoom UK is a possibility, being leisure focused! There is a sizeable Indian population in NCL so maybe AI/PK could work as a through flight, but this kind of longhaul service needs airport infrastructure to cope with it. Immigration, baggage facilities, checkin etc.

Whilst the EK is potentially one of the biggest route announcements of NCL's history, it does not mean that a sudden explosion in long haul activity will occur, sadly!:\

Is this me being pessimistic???????

SWBKCB
1st Jan 2007, 18:45
Is this me being pessimistic???????

No - spot on if you ask me (and if anything a bit optimistic - relatively speaking is the Indian population in the NE that large? EK with its competitive nature and onward connections from the hub at DXB will probably see off any other eastern bound LH for the foreseeable future)

transwede
1st Jan 2007, 19:15
That is very true. EK have an excellent network ex DXB so the likelihood of AI/PK would be slim and personally wouldn't like to see an inbound AI flight being processed through NCL. The airport can barely cope with the current SFB/YYZ services. Hope plans are in place for EK service, immigration counters, lounges etc.

On another note, heres a review of 2006, all in all hasn't been a bad year for expansion at NCL, with numerous new services started or been announced.

Jet2.com to BGO, KRK, LEI, VLC, PMI, AGP, LGW and CMF.
Eastern to CWL.
EI to DUB.
TOM to LXR.
Aer Arran to GWY.
Flybe to LIG.
Ryanair to GRO.
Easy to MAH and KRK.
GSM to YHM.
TCX to YYZ.

And we've lost a couple of EZY routes, INV from T3 and BA to LGW.

ncleflights
2nd Jan 2007, 02:02
That is very true. EK have an excellent network ex DXB so the likelihood of AI/PK would be slim and personally wouldn't like to see an inbound AI flight being processed through NCL. The airport can barely cope with the current SFB/YYZ services. Hope plans are in place for EK service, immigration counters, lounges etc.

On another note, heres a review of 2006, all in all hasn't been a bad year for expansion at NCL, with numerous new services started or been announced.

Jet2.com to BGO, KRK, LEI, VLC, PMI, AGP, LGW and CMF.
Eastern to CWL.
EI to DUB.
TOM to LXR.
Aer Arran to GWY.
Flybe to LIG.
Ryanair to GRO.
Easy to MAH and KRK.
GSM to YHM.
TCX to YYZ.

And we've lost a couple of EZY routes, INV from T3 and BA to LGW.

Ryanair also announced in early December that ncl would loose the Oslo Torp route.

I also have to agree with your previous post that some of the route suggestions are getting a bit far fetched. Very Slim chance of Virgin, they may dable in a limited service to Orlando as they do at Glasgow. However I would think this unlikely given that in the last few years the number of flights to Orlando has dropped down to just one per week, does anyone know why? It was not that long ago we had 4 flights per week in the Summer and one in the Winter from Newcastle to Orlando. Did pax figures become so low?

The airline industry press have also been quite good at rumours about new routes from Newcastle. Some of the ones I can remember from 2006 both include possible operators to SFB including flyglobespan and travelcity direct. Both these rumours amounted to nothing. Indeed a contact I have at XL airways (prev travelcity) told me that they have moved away from considering a 747 operating from NCL and instead are looking at putting the aircraft into Durham Tees Valley for Summer 08.

EI-BUD
2nd Jan 2007, 02:30
You might be interested in this story from Sky News (http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30400-13559684,00.html?f=rss) this morning. If that comes off I imagine that they will be looking for other departure points in suitable catchment areas. I don't know the north east too well but guess that you have a good-sized Asian community.

Easyjet are to do a deal with Oasis air the new low cost airline are flying Hong Kong Gatwick, under the arrangement passengers can connect from easyjets extensive LGW network to Oasis' flights and VV.See article from Uk airports news below...
easyJet discusses link with Hong Kong's Oasis

easyJet (http://www.easyjet.com/) and the new long-haul, low-cost airline Oasis Hong Kong have held discussions about an alliance that would allow customers to book tickets for flights on both airlines. The alliance could allow travelers to book a ticket that allowed them fly from one of easyJet's airports in Europe to Gatwick on an easyJet flight, and then to Hong Kong on Oasis, or on an Oasis flight from Hong Kong, and then on to a European destination from Gatwick with easyJet.
Oasis Chief Executive Stephen Miller told the Times newspaper that the two airlines were 'very friendly,' and that he hoped the two would work together more closely in the future. No agreement has been signed as yet.
Oasis began operating its Gatwick - Hong Kong route in October, with fares that started at £75. The airline hopes to start flying from Hong Kong to Oakland, California, and to new European cities by early next year.

I am very interested in Virgin and Easyjet in the same sentence!!! Virgin is part owned by Singapore airlines and according to the article you posted tigger4me, it is air asia that Virgin and easyjet are talking to ? I have often wondered although not relevant to this tread, if Virgin will eventually take over bmi and easyjet take over bmibaby ??

What does anyone else think ? Do you think 2007 will be the year ??? Maybe a long shot !!!!
Happy new year everyone!

nclpilot
2nd Jan 2007, 07:50
ncleflights

I read your comment regarding XLA MME flights to SFB with interest. I suggest your 'contact' takes a closer look at MME - I can't possibly see the airport being in a position to sustain a weekly 747 flight. It has neither the infrastructure for 450 pax nor the caption area.
I have operated through there in the summer months on a 757 and that is a shambles when there is another a/c departing around the same time.
Surprised NCL was snubbed again though

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
2nd Jan 2007, 08:53
Read on another site that the flights would be ex MAN so does that mean we will get a Virgin flight ex MAN to KUL
We shall see
G-I-B

ncleflights
2nd Jan 2007, 12:15
ncleflights

I read your comment regarding XLA MME flights to SFB with interest. I suggest your 'contact' takes a closer look at MME - I can't possibly see the airport being in a position to sustain a weekly 747 flight. It has neither the infrastructure for 450 pax nor the caption area.
I have operated through there in the summer months on a 757 and that is a shambles when there is another a/c departing around the same time.
Surprised NCL was snubbed again though

As I understand it XL/Travel City wanted to do a 747 out of NCL early morning but problem with ramp availability, don't suppose its practical to remote park a 747. They also appear to have done their sums and believe that if the cost is right folks will travel the hour down from Newcastle to Durham Tees Valley to do a long haul flight. This may work after all they would have no competition from the North East across the Atlantic. Finally would the landing charges from DTVA not be a lot lower than from NCL? This may finally clinch the deal.

skyman771
2nd Jan 2007, 12:55
As I understand it XL/Travel City wanted to do a 747 out of NCL early morning but problem with ramp availability, don't suppose its practical to remote park a 747. They also appear to have done their sums and believe that if the cost is right folks will travel the hour down from Newcastle to Durham Tees Valley to do a long haul flight. This may work after all they would have no competition from the North East across the Atlantic. Finally would the landing charges from DTVA not be a lot lower than from NCL? This may finally clinch the deal.
Err have I missed something? ... neither NCL or MME have the runway capacity to support a non stop 747 sevice to Florida. So I presume what you are pontificating on when discussing the economics etc. of such a route is the incluion of at least a west bound fuel stop. So the obvious question is why a 747 ?:confused:
On another point whilst we all seem totally focused, on the yet to be confirmed EK DXB operation, and other long haul possibilities (& some fantasy), then how on the same pages can we be claiming that NCL is unable to support a weekly early morning SFB ? If there is any truth in this it's madness irrespective as to any merits in relocating to MME. I've read / condone the suggestions that Eatbound EK may provide more interest from US carriers re Westbound, but you will achieve nothing if at the same time you are seen to be moving your longhaul US charter operations down the road :ugh: :ugh:

Smile!!!
2nd Jan 2007, 13:24
A 747 wouldnt need a fuel stop to go to SFB. The TCD 747 makes the journey weekly for CWL with its short 2392m runway, a service is plausible from NCL on runway length at all with only a 40m shorter runway. Isnt it? I have little knowledege on local traffic to SFB but iit certinaley has a larger chatchment area than CWL!

virginblue
2nd Jan 2007, 13:30
virginblue
AA were actually heavily marketing the JFK route as a gateway to the states and in alot of adverts they ran prior to the route been pulled advertised Newcastle to - and had a huge list of US cities. My family all live in NC in the USA and I had made several bookings myself with AA using JFK as a gateway to get me to Charlotte, North Carolina. I had a few colleagues that had done the same infact alot folks that I know had bookings on cancelled AA flights that were simply using JFK as a transit hub.
I still think NYC is more than viable daily and hopefully if EK make a great success of Dubai then we will have loads of other operators hoping to provide long haul to/from Newcastle.

Looking at the AA timetable, connections at JFK for flights from Europe are somewhat limited, imho. Most flights to the Carribbean and Latin America leave before the flights from Europe arrive. There are a few flights to South america in the evening and afternoon flights to a limited number of US destinations, most on ERJ/CRJs. I would not say that AA's European services to JFK are primarily targeting connecting passengers - quite to the contrary of EK's DXB services. But are correct, there are some connections available indeed. But it is quite different from what CO is able to offer through EWR or DL through ATL from all those secondary airports they serve in Europe.

Ops Guy
2nd Jan 2007, 13:41
Can we please drop the AA thing!!! :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

skyman771
2nd Jan 2007, 15:43
A 747 wouldnt need a fuel stop to go to SFB. The TCD 747 makes the journey weekly for CWL with its short 2392m runway, a service is plausible from NCL on runway length at all with only a 40m shorter runway. Isnt it? I
Smile, you are over simplifying the issues, you could not plan a regular non stop 747 from NCL to MIA without allowing for a westbound fuel stop. You may find acceptable weather conditions that tie in with loads on certain days that enable such an operation, but as has been discussed at legnth in earlier forum postings, the critical factor that you have totally ignored is the runway 'TODA' at NCL, and on 25 at least there is a rather nasty hill some 500m from the end which restricts performance. I am not at all interested in CWL so can't comment on any of their 747 op's, but I can assure you that the issue is much more than an extra 40m.

ncleflights
2nd Jan 2007, 16:39
Err have I missed something? ... neither NCL or MME have the runway capacity to support a non stop 747 sevice to Florida. So I presume what you are pontificating on when discussing the economics etc. of such a route is the incluion of at least a west bound fuel stop. So the obvious question is why a 747 ?:confused:
On another point whilst we all seem totally focused, on the yet to be confirmed EK DXB operation, and other long haul possibilities (& some fantasy), then how on the same pages can we be claiming that NCL is unable to support a weekly early morning SFB ? If there is any truth in this it's madness irrespective as to any merits in relocating to MME. I've read / condone the suggestions that Eatbound EK may provide more interest from US carriers re Westbound, but you will achieve nothing if at the same time you are seen to be moving your longhaul US charter operations down the road :ugh: :ugh:

Skyman, I beg to differ but you talking complete rubbish your reply seems to be a complete rant with little facts. As another thread points out both runways at ncle and mme can support a 747. The EK agument is also not valid as it they wont be trying to get their airbus onto a ramp in the early morning but later in the day when the ramps are quieter. Finally at the end of the day XL/Travelcity no doubt will have done their sums on this one and they want a 747 on the NE to USA routes, also no one is moving the longhaul US ops down the road as neither airport, with the exception of one Monarch service, has these ops presently.

CentreFix25
2nd Jan 2007, 16:52
Finally would the landing charges from DTVA not be a lot lower than from NCL? This may finally clinch the deal.Difference in landing fees will never be a significant factor in attracting new routes/operators at either NE airport. If an airport wants a route/airline bad enough (or to keep an existing one) they'll give the landing fees for almost nothing, there are other more significant costs involved. And in my opinion the best prices that both airports can offer will be almost identical (i think RYR Girona flights confirms this).

nclpilot
2nd Jan 2007, 16:54
I just cant see a weekly 747 service to SFB.
The market is down with only 1 service this summer so would not be a prident move to place a 747 with a tech stop on that route. Nowadays, pax want direct flights and I dont think a tech stop would be welcomed

Maude Charlee
2nd Jan 2007, 17:33
Just to put an end to the flight sim warrior 'expert' debate on 747 ops from NCL, it can and has been done non-stop to SFB and POP - 310,000 kgs and some 280 pax with no tech stop required.

Now please shut up.

Thank you.

:}

Jamesair
2nd Jan 2007, 18:38
Irrespective of all the above, I can't understand why the demand for SFB should be so low this year. With the £ at nearly 2 to the $, I would have thought that demand would be better than ever this year.

nclpilot
2nd Jan 2007, 18:48
Good point jamesair, but I think travellers are now more adventerous than ever before. Look at the mainstream tour operators now expanding more far flung destinations such as China and India.

Florida has been established for a number of years and demand and tastes change

fl dutchman
2nd Jan 2007, 18:54
With only one flight per week from NCL there is a shortage of seats on this route. Some dates I understand are already sold out. Travel city have tried this route from NCL before with a 742 but the seats came on sale late and at that time there was 2x weekly and 1x fortnightly already opperating from NCL. The flights were cancelled due to poor sales before the short series started. I think they also intended to do a 767 flight last summer but again that never happened.
So with two bad experiences from NCL it would not surprise me if they gave Durham a go with a 747 or another aircraft type. The management at Peel will no doubt be working very hard to gain new routes, after all there supposedly spending millions on the place. Orlando would be a prime target with the lack of seats from the Nort East. Of course the NCL team will be working hard to, but I think the competition from Durham will make there job increasingly very hard and we may probably see a couple of surprises this year.

OltonPete
2nd Jan 2007, 18:56
I don't want to hijack other threads but I understand the frustration, it is
the same here in the West Mids. One Thomsonfly 763 to SFB and one CO 75W to EWR (down from 10 a week) for summer 2007.

BHX is still smarting from First Choice upping sticks to EMA and it is not
always easy getting these services replaced (don't even mention fly***).

Emirates will raise Newcastle's profile and hopefully it will lead to
more services. Who would have thought that BHX would be getting between 800-1000 a day to Dubai, plus AI 777's every day of the week?

I know you cannot compare one area directly with another but there
is hope if you do get one of the "big" airlines on board.

OP

dwlpl
4th Jan 2007, 09:10
Anyone know how many EZY aircraft that where base at NCL and the total of uplifted passengers from there in September 2006?

ric180880
4th Jan 2007, 11:38
There are 6 EZY737-700s based at NCL.

Jamesair
4th Jan 2007, 15:59
You can get the month in question traffic figures from the CAA website...individual routes are shown, unfortunately you will have difficulty with CDG because it only shows a total for the route and it is not split between Easy and Air France who both fly it.

ncleflights
6th Jan 2007, 14:23
Heard a rumour that a minor problem with the route application may delay any possible launch, has anyone else heard this. Noticed that Newcastle is no longer showing on EKs website as a destination.

Thanks

Jamesair
6th Jan 2007, 15:40
Newcastle disappeared from the EK website last week for about 24hrs then returned.

With a launch date of 1st September planned I should imagine they have time to sort out any minor problems withing the next few weeks.

transwede
8th Jan 2007, 09:58
Any news on Jet2 releasing BGO for Summer 07 yet? And exactly what aircraft they will be basing at NCL, as currently it requires atleast 6 unless schedules are going to be amended?

heslop2006
8th Jan 2007, 10:08
From reading the website it will come on sale soon, most likely using one of the 737. The website says " on sale soon ".

On the front of based aircraft I think it's 3x737 2x757 and 1xBAE

BA's 6:30 to LGW has been delayed provisionally until 12:00, Anyone know why?

crewboi83
8th Jan 2007, 11:39
It looks like 2 757s now for NCL next year, 3 737s and the flightline 146-200!
Not sure what other routes will be going on the 757s unless more are to be annouced, altho with the launch of jet2holidays.com selling package holidays they may need sum extra capacity on spanish routes

VFR Transit
8th Jan 2007, 11:54
Any idea on the launch date of jet2holidays.com yet????

crewboi83
8th Jan 2007, 12:15
Well the website has vanished it was availible other day and it had all prices and details on.

Just been lookin at airkiosk and looks like there needs to be some tweeking with the scheds as on a tuesday there is a 1300 MJV, 1315 AGP and 1605 TFS on the 757!! hhmmm summat not quite right there really

All other routes are still down as ops on the 733, so there must be more routes up their sleeve! lets hope so, altho not sure where else they wud go.

SWBKCB
8th Jan 2007, 15:33
BA's 6:30 to LGW has been delayed provisionally until 12:00, Anyone know why?
BA8077 went tech on Sunday night - BA8079 operated the BA8078 back last night, leaving nothing to operate the first flight of the week this morning (but hey, it's only a domestic route and we're dropping it soon anyway so who gives a...):=

Question of my own - is the new air bridge being used yet?

Ops Guy
8th Jan 2007, 17:22
Question of my own - is the new air bridge being used yet?

As far as I know the new airbridge is not yet operational. Should be operational soon though.

GrahamK
9th Jan 2007, 07:15
Emirates to Dubai now on sale on one or two GDS'. Not on the Emirates website yet, although I'd imagine it'll appear on their before the end of the week :ok:

Jamesair
9th Jan 2007, 10:05
EASTERN have reduced frequency on LONDON CITY again. Now twice daily Mo - Fr 0800 and 1735 departures.

Better to get capacity in line with demand then increase if necessary.

dawsonio
9th Jan 2007, 11:13
Emirates to Dubai now on sale on one or two GDS'. Not on the Emirates website yet, although I'd imagine it'll appear on their before the end of the week :ok:

Hi Graham, Whats a GDS?

johnwalton
9th Jan 2007, 13:50
GDS = Global Distribution System (basically reservations systems for flights/hotels/car rental etc)

SWBKCB
10th Jan 2007, 07:03
Just featured on BBC Radio Newcastle news (although I'm sure they said that a A.318 was to be used...) although whether this is in advance of the official announcement later or whether they've just picked up that flights are being sold isn't clear.

skyman771
10th Jan 2007, 08:49
http://www.newcastleairport.com/General/News/emirates_announce_dubai_.htm
It's official (at last !).:ok:

BIG E
10th Jan 2007, 09:06
Toon tops in the desert,getting bladdered in the streets,hoyin up on the beach,we'll probably start world war 111 coz they're a sensitive lot!

Travel Agent
10th Jan 2007, 09:13
Emirates Airline today announced the introduction of a new daily non-stop flight between Newcastle and Dubai, starting later this year.

The Dubai-based international carrier's new service, which will commence on 1 September, 2007, will be the first ever scheduled long-haul flight to operate from Newcastle.

This means that customers in the North-East region will have direct access to one of the most popular tourist destinations and fastest emerging markets of the Middle East. It also opens up an onward route network that stretches across more than 80 destinations worldwide after just one short stop in Dubai.

Regions such as South-East Asia, Australia & New Zealand, the Far East, Africa, the Middle East and the Indian sub-continent will soon be within easy reach of Newcastle for the first time. This represents a massive boost for travellers and cargo shippers alike from across the North-East region.

The new route is expected to generate many new jobs at the airport and throughout the region. Emirates will directly employ up to 15 people at Newcastle International Airport, and it is anticipated that it will also result indirectly in the creation of new positions at support services companies such as ground handling and catering.
Vic Sheppard, Emirates' Vice-President UK & Ireland, says: "This new service will provide the North-East with direct and convenient access to Dubai and onwards to destinations across the globe. No longer will travellers and cargo shippers from the North-East face the unnecessary delay of connecting onto flights via London or points in mainland Europe – they will soon be able to travel and ship goods direct.
“We firmly believe there is a significant potential market for Emirates in the North-East – one that currently remains largely untapped – and believe this new route will prove hugely successful for both Emirates and the North-East. With the involvement of the local community, it has the potential to boost inbound trade and tourism, whilst also helping to foster strong trade and tourism links between the North-East, Dubai and other destinations we serve.”

John Parkin, Chief Executive of Newcastle International Airport, says: “We are delighted that Emirates has shown such a huge vote of confidence in the region and Newcastle International Airport by introducing daily services to Dubai. Newcastle can now offer its customers direct services to one of the most important destinations in the world and an enormous choice of destinations beyond, on one of the world’s leading airlines.”

Starting on September 1, Emirates flight EK036 will depart Newcastle International Airport each day at 1340, arriving into Dubai International Airport at 0005 the following day. The return flight, EK035, is scheduled to depart Dubai at 0720 every day, arriving in Newcastle at 1210. (All times are local).

The service will be operated by an Airbus A330-200 aircraft, with 27 Business Class and 251 Economy Class seats. It also provides a daily cargo carrying capacity of 14 tonnes.

Emirates already operates 91 non-stop flights each week, or 13 each day, from the UK to Dubai – five services daily from London Heathrow, three services per day from London Gatwick, double-daily flights from Birmingham and Manchester, and a daily connection from Glasgow.

Taken from airport website

transwede
10th Jan 2007, 10:08
Excellent news for NCL and its long term developement. Maybe now, should EK suceed, long haul destinations could become a reality at NCL. Also very good for pax and ease of flying worldwide via a user friendly transit point. My only concern is that there a quite alot of seats to fill, therefore EK as the airline need to heavily advertise and alert travel agents and worldwide tour operators, such as Kuoni to the service!

Will be nice to see some long haul aircraft parked at NCL, as only EK and MON are left! As EK's premium service is highly regarded, does this mean we will see limo service and a new executive lounge at NCL? And I am guessing but plans will have been put in place for dedicated checkin facilities, particularly for premium pax?

On a different note, does anyone know what XL Airways plans are for the coming summer? Is it 2 737-800 a/c of Canadian or British reg or another aircraft from another carrier, Finnair, Air malta? Also looks as though XL will remain for next winter also, replacing current FJE flights (thought they were going to be at NCL for 3 years?).

Is TOM's 737 an 800 or back to 300 for summer?

Leodis
10th Jan 2007, 11:59
Just featured on BBC Radio Newcastle news (although I'm sure they said that a A.318 was to be used...) although whether this is in advance of the official announcement later or whether they've just picked up that flights are being sold isn't clear.

The aircraft will be a A330-200 with 27 business class seats and 251 economy. Good news for Newcastle.:D

transwede
10th Jan 2007, 16:08
And who will provide ground handling to EK? Surely a very lucrative contract, yet neither agents at NCL have the best reputation for high quality service?!

ash666
10th Jan 2007, 21:59
Good in theory but no good for me. I don't want to wait nearly 9 hours to get a connecting flight from Dubai to Bangkok and Thailand must be a major end-point destination, surely.

johnrizzo2000
10th Jan 2007, 22:04
Now with EK, roll on a CO flight to EWR!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

skyman771
11th Jan 2007, 08:15
CO have just lost their US - China route application to UA & presumably this will have some impact on their future route plans elsewhere. What ever interest may be expressed by who ever in a NCL - NYC then NYC appears now to be another year down the road at 2008 at the earliest.:(

Jamesair
11th Jan 2007, 15:33
Has anyone noticed that VG flights to LCY have started appearing on the airport departure boards again?

10 DME ARC
12th Jan 2007, 11:12
Don't know where people were getting £500+ for the DXB, just been offered £385 all in from Opodo in back end of September. Only £40 more expensive than the best indirect flight offered!
As for waiting around in DXB, well I have just counted 37 east bound destinations departing within a one to three hours of the arrival time of the NCL a/c!
Including; Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Bangkok, Calcutta, Colombo, Delhi, Dhaka, Durban, Male, Mumbai, Hong Kong, Karachi, Tehian (large Iranian community in NE), Singapore, Mauritius, Perth, Seychelles plus many more.

Get booking.....:)

10 DME ARC
12th Jan 2007, 14:40
On the same subject as above, been told that a seat sale is on, book before end March. E.g. Perth around £700 Hong Kong around £440 some really good fares, pm me for the full list if you want. :)

Trying not to advertise just wanting the lads to get some bargains...:)

transwede
12th Jan 2007, 18:19
Out of personal interest anyone know where I can find out what type of aircraft can be accommodated on each stand at NCL? Cheers

10 DME ARC
12th Jan 2007, 18:42
Transwede
Just off top of my head;
Stand 1 Max B734 Std 31 B738
Stand 2 A320
Stand 3 A321
Stand 4 B752
Stand 5 B737
Stand 6 B737
Stand 7 B738
Stand 8 B738
Stand 9 A333 or B744
Stand 10 B763
Stand 11 B763
Stand 12 A320
Stand 32 2x JS41’S
Stand 13 B752 to be shortly or 2x JS41’s
Stand 14 B752
Stand 15 B738
Stand 16 B773
Stand 17 B773
Stand 18 B738
Stand 19 B738
Stand 20 B737
Stand 21 B767
Stand 22 B744 or L/R 2x B737
Stand 23 B753

Golf Stands 3 x B738
These are rough max a/c types the sizes go in groups dependent upon the a/c wing span and length. Hope it helps:)

postcard
12th Jan 2007, 19:04
Impressive...thats this years Compt. passed!!

transwede
12th Jan 2007, 19:06
Nice one - thanks 10 DME ARC.

Wonder if enough capable stands for summer nitestoppers?

2 x TOM 757
1 x TOM 738
1 x MYT 320
2 x TCX 757
2 x XLA 738
1 x FJE 757
1 x BA 319
7 x EZY 73G
1 x LS 146
3 x LS 733
2 x LS 757
4 x T3 J41
1 x AF CR7
1 x KL 733
1 x SN ARJ (?)

Going to make a bust scene!

10 DME ARC
12th Jan 2007, 19:14
Postcard - You know me.....:}

Transwede - But, stands 17 upwards will change when the two new stands are built next to stand 18, Hopefully in the next couple of months, ready for the summer.:)

postcard
12th Jan 2007, 20:36
Work starts on Monday for 4 months..two new B737-800 stands adjacent to 18.

Ops Guy
12th Jan 2007, 22:17
10 DME ARC. Very impressive!!!! Just a few mistakes though that I feel I have to correct you on (I know they were off the top of your head).

Stand 01 B737-300 not 400 and stand 31 is only 737-700 not 800
Stand 15 B737-400 not 800
Stand 17 B767-300 not B773
Stand 20 B757 not 737

Other than that more or less spot on.

Postcard thats correct work starts on Monday on the new stands. However 19, 20, 21 will be withdrawn from service to facilitate the works unfortunately. :ok:

Voldermort
12th Jan 2007, 22:54
ash666
"I dont want to wait nearly 9 hours for a connecting flight"
Why would you???
EK036 arrrives DXB at 0005 and EK384 deps for BKK at 0315 I make that 3hours 10mins.
Return is even better with a choice of flights from BKK arriving DXB at either 0430 or 0535 and departing for NCL at 0720

ncleflights
13th Jan 2007, 01:01
Don't know where people were getting £500+ for the DXB, just been offered £385 all in from Opodo in back end of September. Only £40 more expensive than the best indirect flight offered!
As for waiting around in DXB, well I have just counted 37 east bound destinations departing within a one to three hours of the arrival time of the NCL a/c!
Including; Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Bangkok, Calcutta, Colombo, Delhi, Dhaka, Durban, Male, Mumbai, Hong Kong, Karachi, Tehian (large Iranian community in NE), Singapore, Mauritius, Perth, Seychelles plus many more.

Get booking.....:)

Yes Opodo is offering flights to Dubai at under £400 but alot of sites eg expedia, Thomas Cook and Emirates own are bringing back fares well in excess of £500

Thanks

ash666
13th Jan 2007, 07:21
ash666
"I dont want to wait nearly 9 hours for a connecting flight"
Why would you???
EK036 arrrives DXB at 0005 and EK384 deps for BKK at 0315 I make that 3hours 10mins.
Return is even better with a choice of flights from BKK arriving DXB at either 0430 or 0535 and departing for NCL at 0720

A-ha! Thanks. I thought the first DXB -BKK was 08.40. Looking forward to it already.

Travel Agent
13th Jan 2007, 07:38
With regards to prices on NCL-DXB, I booked someone yesterday on the first flight for a price of £407 inclusive of taxes!

nclpilot
13th Jan 2007, 12:33
Must admit, I am pleasantly surprised at the cost of the EK flights. Just been running various routes from NCL to which may be of interest and SYD came up at only £1300 for 2 Adults including taxes. Very reasonably priced. If this pricing strategy is adopted, I can see it being a success.

SWBKCB
13th Jan 2007, 12:44
Transwede
Just off top of my head;
Stand 16 B773
:)
Can I be the first to start the "EK to put on larger aircraft" rumour - well, who else is going to send one in???:ok: :ok: :ok:

Ops Guy
13th Jan 2007, 14:40
Bigger the better. As long as it's not an A380 (when they get them).

The new airbridge on stand 9 is equiped with another APIS for the use of stand 30 which can handle up to B744. It just means should anything bigger than an A330 be operated then it will take out stand 8. But who cares, it will be good to see some decent size aircraft operating in and out of NCL at last.

:ok:

NCLRULES
14th Jan 2007, 12:17
Is it true EZY are dropping Prague? Apparently it was in one of the local papers this week. :confused:

ash666
14th Jan 2007, 12:24
Is it true EZY are dropping Prague? Apparently it was in one of the local papers this week. :confused:

Haven't heard anything myself but it would be madness, it's one of the most popular(or THE most popular) destinations.

HH6702
14th Jan 2007, 14:41
It said in the paper that easyjet had dropped budapest due to poor loads. busy at weekends but not through the week. they added by dropping this route we have been able to offer two new routes kakrow and mahon.

PRG still has good loads i cant see them dropping it!

crewboi83
14th Jan 2007, 17:58
Now its funny this PRG thing cos jet2 just dumped WAW from MAN in favour of PRG, now the sunday PRG into MAN is not a MAN based unit, its a W pattern with another bases unit, now upto now there is now timetable from other bases showing that they cud operate the PRG-MAN-PRG.... and with a few more routes still to be annouced for NCL..... cud PRG be one of them?

transwede
15th Jan 2007, 10:31
It wouldn't surprise me if Jet2 decided to go head to head with Easyjet on NCL-PRG route, they don't seem to be afraid of having a bit of competition. My only concern is that, is there enough demand for these 2 airlines to fly the same routes, in addition to the charter companies who offer flight only to AGP, PMI etc. Jet2 certainly have a/c on the ground, which obviously would be more profitable flying, so there is the possibility of extra routes from them. Maybe they could try a new destination, NCL is lacking in services to France, Germany and the new EU states of Latvia, Estonia, Bulgaria, Hungary etc.

Anybody know what Jet2's plans are for the winter? Are they retaining all the based a/c, 2 x 737, 2 x 757 and 1 x 146 or will capacity drop again?

Just having a think over the parking stands issue and the number of a/c which nightstop at NCL, including the summer charter units. To me there seems to be no spare stands should everything be on the ground at the same time, including the cargo MNG a/c and the Eastern JS41's sharing stands?! surely the airport will be operating at maximum capacity late at night and early in the morning? Will the closure of Costa have any impact on more check ins etc? And will security ever operate all 5 xray machines during busy periods to minimise the ques?

There still seems to be no word on Menzies Aviation? Was it just a rumour?

crewboi83
15th Jan 2007, 10:52
I hope jet2 in NCL will still get 757s, 2 ex atlasjet 757s have been returned as there was 2 much work needed doing to get them into service, had been told that extra 737s would be sourced to cover for the lack of 757s but i know jet2 wanted a few more 737s this year anyway and are having major problems finding decent 737s.
There is 2 757s worth of flying to be done in Newc, lets hope they dont get put back on 737

Ops Guy
15th Jan 2007, 13:31
TranswedeJust having a think over the parking stands issue and the number of a/c which nightstop at NCL, including the summer charter units. To me there seems to be no spare stands should everything be on the ground at the same time, including the cargo MNG a/c and the Eastern JS41's sharing stands?! surely the airport will be operating at maximum capacity late at night and early in the morning

Did you count the 2 new stands?

Gregs is moving to where Costa is now on level 1 (next to arrivals) so no extra check in. The new security search area will move to where Costa level 2 is and I would imagine there will be 5 ex ray machine's open on a morning in order to get everyone airside spending their money (because that whats it's all about). I can only assume that the old search area will then become retail outlets. All to be compete by the start of the summer, hopefully!!

Marra123
15th Jan 2007, 14:59
I have heard that the old Natwest will become a domestic arrivals customs search area. Regarding Menzies coming it all seems to have gone quiet, If they are to come where will there office be? and where will the ticket desk and baggage facilities go? Servisair are losing part of there ticket desk, I think this could be to accomodate space for an Emirates ticket/sales desk.

Ops Guy
15th Jan 2007, 16:32
I think with Mezies it's basically a matter of when not if !!.
Where they will be based airside, who knows. Other than new accommodation being built where the old Servisair/Groundstar/ Load control area was. There isn't anywhere else.

Aquarius Lad
15th Jan 2007, 18:26
Menzies could be accomodated where NIA landside meeting rooms and greggs kitchen area are currently sited.

But then again I could be wrong ;) ;)

sweet home ncl
15th Jan 2007, 20:52
Any news?
Are they waiting for the ba connect merger? or more e jets?
i was hoping for cph,fra and muc!

SWBKCB
15th Jan 2007, 21:21
I'd be very surprised to see anything significant until they've got the BACON deal sorted out one way and another - only so much you can do with the resources available...

Jamesair
16th Jan 2007, 10:30
Last date I heard for the BACON deal to be finalised was 31st January, maybe after that we will get some news about the proposed 4 a/c base.

mathers_wales_uk
16th Jan 2007, 19:27
Any news on a carrier doing a NCL - CWL route as well as Eastern, or maybe the Saab being used instead of the Jetstream?

transwede
17th Jan 2007, 16:48
Actually think it will be some time before we see a 4 a/c base from Flybe. Given the time it takes to plan such an operation, not to mention recruit staff and the capacity restraints NCL is facing with regards to nightstopping a/c, I would assume that it is atleast 12-18 months away. Also mergers tend to throw all plans into the air, with problems arising and lots of organising to be carried out.

Wouldn't expect another carrier on NCL-CWL run either, maybe NCL-ABZ??

Hangar_9
17th Jan 2007, 20:41
I know it was a long time ago now but does anybody know what load factors were like on MSE-NEW route?

Britannia
17th Jan 2007, 21:26
The summer 2007 charter timetable is on the airports website. The BD to Venice is now down to be an A319 and the OS to Innsbruck is a CRJ. Another 757 from XLA too.

ncleflights
17th Jan 2007, 21:32
Actually think it will be some time before we see a 4 a/c base from Flybe. Given the time it takes to plan such an operation, not to mention recruit staff and the capacity restraints NCL is facing with regards to nightstopping a/c, I would assume that it is atleast 12-18 months away. Also mergers tend to throw all plans into the air, with problems arising and lots of organising to be carried out.

Wouldn't expect another carrier on NCL-CWL run either, maybe NCL-ABZ??

I would agree it does take a lot of planning but haven't FLYBE been doing that for the last few months. They have publically stated they want a base at Newcastle, if it doesn't come of whos going to blame whoe FLYBE blame the airport or vice versa. The problem of parking overnight may be a stocking point though.

Thanks

deltahotel9
18th Jan 2007, 12:39
Airport website reporting BA, LH and KLM flights cancelled due to 'unforseen circurmstances' anyone know why? Weather is not bad here today, so unliekly to be that.

crewboi83
18th Jan 2007, 12:58
Well the aircraft operating those flights could be caught up somwhere else with bad weather, for example BA flights all start from LHR/LGW and the KLM aircraft have prob been to somewhere in the UK already this morning. same for LH

10 DME ARC
18th Jan 2007, 13:12
A little bit wild dowwnnn souffff aint it:)

Devonair
18th Jan 2007, 13:18
Think you'll find it's not just Southern England suffering with high winds. The storm, or Hurricane as it is being called in Germany, is also affecting the European mainland. Germany and the Netherlands are particularly badly affected.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/01/18/germany.storm.reut/index.html

Jamesair
18th Jan 2007, 16:28
JET 2 have published the BERGEN summer timetable....three times weekly WED/FRI/SUN

lukeylad
18th Jan 2007, 16:37
Tis windy up NCL aswell jet2 737 and flyjet 757 hitting crosswinds on take off this afternoon.

mathers_wales_uk
18th Jan 2007, 18:10
Airport website reporting BA, LH and KLM flights cancelled due to 'unforseen circurmstances' anyone know why? Weather is not bad here today, so unliekly to be that.

I know that KLM had expected this as we had a telex at CWL to say that all a/c other than the 6am departure which is a night stop would be cancelled. This is due to extremely high winds and bad weather accross europe and to expect cancellations, even went to give a guide to re-book passengers and not to re-book them unless the onward connection could be met.

mathers_wales_uk
18th Jan 2007, 18:19
Eastern Airways flight T34641 NCL - CWL on the Jetstream attempted to land at CWL R/W 30 during the extreme weather conditions. I don't know what Eastern Airways Ops and the Captain was playing at.

No a/c had departed CWL as it was too windy to put the steps on the a/c. Even though ATC advised of the gusts before granting permission to land and prompted at every minue while was on approach (in other words to try and put the cpt off from landing) it got caught by the sidewind and made it cause a bankin of approx 45 degrees only 500 ft from the ground. The cpt then pulled up and went around, but actually diverted then to BRS. It's nice to see he didn't want to make a seccond attempt, but why bother makig the first and should they have kept the a/c at NCL untill weather had improved at CWL?

Wellington Bomber
19th Jan 2007, 09:48
Mathers Wales

If you tell passengers on the aircraft that it is windy and you cannot land, there are always people think in the back who think that is for an entirely different reason. If you do make an approch there may be a small gap in the gusts and wind speed to make it all the way down. At least the passengers know that you have tried and failed whilst being thrown about in the back and that they then will be happier to land at an alternative airport.

Never was it a safety issue, that is why we have decision heights in aircraft