PDA

View Full Version : Security Cert. Pop up on Pprune

Krystal n chips
27th Nov 2006, 17:56
A query please.

For some time now, I have been getting a Security Cert. pop up when on the site. The information on the cert says:

Equifax Security Certficate Authority

issued to adwords google.com

Now it's not, as far as I am aware, causing any problems other than being a nuisance. However, there have also been times when, after logging into Pprune, I have tried to select Google---only to get a message that the page cannot be displayed etc. Shut down, re-boot and no problem.

Thus any ideas as to (a) what the Cert is doing here in the first place, (b) how to get rid of it (c) is it causing me a problem I am not aware of and (d) any ideas as to why I cannot access Google at times after having been on this site.

Many thanks in advance.

K n C

Saab Dastard
28th Nov 2006, 16:35
Here's the responses from a couple of the admins:

I assume it is something to do with the Google adWords adverts that appear. If the member has his security settings too high then he will probably get these messages.

Apart from that, there are no security certificates for PPRuNe. They tend to be a functon, if I'm not mistaken, of secure websites, ie. those where the url begins https://

Yes, they are to do with SSL sites - commercial online sales sites. The Equifax cerificate is issued by GeoTrust. If the member is using a tabbed browser, such as Firefox, Opera or IE7, it may well be that the pop-up refers to page open on another tab. I think it's unlikely that it would be generated by any of the ads on Pprune unless they were clicked on by the member.

HTH

SD

Krystal n chips
28th Nov 2006, 16:55
Many thanks SD :ok: I think I now know the potential source after the info given.