PDA

View Full Version : DEFO for Canadian Base?

EEEdog
27th Nov 2006, 01:08
I'm going for a 2nd interview in HKG for DEFO. If I'm successful I figure the intial basing will be NYC or ORD or LAX. Does anyone have any guesses as to how long it would take to bid a YVR base?
How often is a position bid done at Cathay?
Has there been any talk of any more Canadian bases (for example YYZ)?
Thanks in advance for any info.
Cheers,
EEEdog

dhoonk
5th Dec 2006, 19:46
Does anyone have any guesses as to how long it would take to bid a YVR base?
How often is a position bid done at Cathay?
Has there been any talk of any more Canadian bases (for example YYZ)?

It is highly unlikely that either YVR or YYZ will be open for selection as a freighter base for the foreseeable future.

Five Green
6th Dec 2006, 01:27
The one thing about Cathay is that nothing every stays the same.

For awhile in 2001 or so they briefly opened YYZ and YVR because they were getting quite a few candidates rejecting the job because they did not want to commute. That said I am not sure that there were more than a dozen hired on to those bases. The bases were not opened up to general bidding either. The company just slid that by everybody. Then th bases were closed and have stayed that way since. I would assume that is because they are getting enough people takng the U.S. bases.

Once you are hired they are supposed to release the base openings available you then bid and it goes to the highest seniority. Not a big issue on the freighter as most people are where they want to be. So you will not see a yvr or yyz base until you transfer to the pax fleet.

Good luck and enjoy the commute !

FG