PDA

View Full Version : Opportunities for 'mature' people??

rogerbucks
26th Nov 2006, 12:06
Mrs RB is very keen on the possibility of becoming cc as a new career.

She spent many years as a Dental Hygienist, and then successfully ran her own business in the Petcare Industry for 4 years.

Although late 40's, does'nt look it, and is great with people.

Any advice from you kind ppruners ?

Thanks
RB

tofster
26th Nov 2006, 12:21
Hi There,
To be honest other than Virgin I don't think any airlines are ageist these days. Before any VS crew jump on my back am just remembering when VS used to have a cut off of 28!! I know its changed now.
BA have a mix of age ranges and United, although they have not recruited for many years prefer the more experienced touch. Tell your wife to give it a bash, am sure she will have a great time!

WildRose
26th Nov 2006, 13:36
At my Qantas interview there was a fantastic lady who was in her fifties (as well as a few others who were probably over 40...although its hard to tell!). She told me that she had been forced into redundancy at BA a few years previously and was desperate to get back into it. I believe they have removed the upper age limit with any airline so theres nothing to stop Mrs RB! I reckon any decent airline who welcome a more mature candidate with open arms....you cant substitute a good bit of life experience! Good luck to her, she sounds like a perfect candidate.

TFlyguy
26th Nov 2006, 14:37
I agree - go for it - what has she got to lose - and good luck!

Lite
26th Nov 2006, 18:24
There are some airlines who actually prefer maturer crew as they provide more life experience than younger applicants, I believe this was a big part of easyJet's cabin crew recruitment from their in flight magazine a few years back with statements like "I didn't think I was blonde enough to be crew" or "I thought I was too old to be crew."

Virgin Boi
27th Nov 2006, 07:20
tofster.....

Utter nonsense! Virgin actively recruit older crew now. The upper age limit of 28 was raised years ago, and then dropped altogether. We have many initial cabin crew members starting their careers who are aged 40/50 +

lowlypax
27th Nov 2006, 09:36
I have been flying as a passenger for more than 25 years and I prefer more mature cabin staff. They are generally more self confident and better able to deal with difficult situations, as they have seen it all and are less likely to be phased. Raising children must be great training for dealing with passengers.

I have flown with plenty of young cabin staff, the vast majority of whom have been very good, but I have also come across some very inept younger crew on Japanese airlines. The worst has been ANA, where safety announcements in English were barely intelligable. On one occaision the girl burst into a fit of giggles before completing the announcement and then gave up. How she would have helped English speaking passengers in an emergency God only knows.

Presently I mostly fly Virgin (Silver card holder) and their crew are very good.

I appreciate that the cabin crews' job is hard and often thankless. My thanks to all of you who have taken care of me in the past. You always got me where I was going in one piece.

Hokkaido
29th Nov 2006, 19:30
Mrs RB is very keen on the possibility of becoming cc as a new career.

She spent many years as a Dental Hygienist, and then successfully ran her own business in the Petcare Industry for 4 years.

Although late 40's, does'nt look it, and is great with people.

Any advice from you kind ppruners ?

Thanks
RB

I just got into QANTAS out of LHR @ 39...always worth a try.

Head_in_clouds
29th Nov 2006, 20:09
My mum followed in my footsteps and became crew at 46. She had never done it before and loves it. Go for it you can do it

notts airgirl
12th Dec 2006, 11:05
hi all

well i started late a few years ago at the ripe old age of 48. i am still fit and i enjoy the job very much indeed, the hours are great and the people are lovely. i think we are the motherly figures to the younger ones and seem to get on very well with all ages.

there is life in this old dog yet i must say:)