PDA

View Full Version : Runway to short at Richmond ?

Mick.B
25th Nov 2006, 20:54
What exactly is the stopway.

http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2006/AAIR/aair200607054.aspx

jumpuFOKKERjump
25th Nov 2006, 22:32
Richmond Rwy 28 has 2134 M of Take Off Run Available, the length of runway the aircraft can use for take off and clear any obstacles in the climb out by 50 FT. The Accelerate Stop Distance Available is 2194 M which means there is 60 M of concrete there which is not usable to take off because of obstacles on the climb out. In an aborted take off a pilot can plan to use the whole amount of concrete available to stop, but to take off he can only plan to use the TORA. What remains is the Stopway. I hope I got this right, PPL theory test in a week or two...

http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/publications/current/ersa/RDS_YSRI_23-Nov-2006.pdf

Gorat seems to have decided to use all the concrete, or didn't notice the last 100 anvils being loaded...

low_flyer
26th Nov 2006, 00:26
A stopway is a portion of runway that is not constructed to the same strength as the runway proper and should only be used in an emergency (aborted take-off etc.) As such the stopway length will only contribute to the ASDA.

By the look of it (from Google Earth), at YSRI the clearway has been sealed although the full strength pavement underneath may not have been prepared. This was probably done to minimise jet-blast erosion and serves as an extra to the ASDA as well.

The TORA, as I understand it, is for the "run" portion of the take-off or the bit when the wheels are on the ground.

Add 60m for your clearway gives the TODA and this provides for the initial climb (is it 50ft or 35ft?) for a safe climb out.

Linking this back to the Broome thread, the stopway here at YSRI under CASR 139 should be painted with yellow chevrons.

PLovett
26th Nov 2006, 01:53
Perhaps old habits die hard. :=

I remember reading an article written by an English pilot whose company had a contract retraining the pilots of an eastern European airline when they converted onto SAABs and phased out the Yak 40 (I think).:mad:

Amongst other things he was horrified to find that fuel was not factored into the MTOW. After all, it was going to be burnt off so why bother calculating it in. :uhoh:

OverRun
26th Nov 2006, 03:29
low_flyer,
I'm not so sure about the stopway markings. Under the MOS (CASR) 139, section 8.3.2.1 requires "Pre-runway-end markings are used where an area exceeding 60 m in length before the runway end, has a sealed, concrete or asphalt surface, which is not suitable for normal aircraft usage.

The stopway at Richmond is 60m, so it doesn't need to be marked. And the point about stopway strength needs to be reworded slightly to be strictly accurate:
A stopway is a portion of runway that is not constructed to the same strength as the runway proper and should only be used in an emergency (aborted take-off etc.) As such the stopway length will only contribute to the ASDA.
It might be better to word it as:
"A stopway is a portion of runway that MIGHT not BE constructed to the same strength as the runway proper . . . "

B772
26th Nov 2006, 04:03
Perhaps old habits die hard. :=
I remember reading an article written by an English pilot whose company had a contract retraining the pilots of an eastern European airline when they converted onto SAABs and phased out the Yak 40 (I think).:mad:
Amongst other things he was horrified to find that fuel was not factored into the MTOW. After all, it was going to be burnt off so why bother calculating it in. :uhoh:

Sounds as though this was a ''close call", similar to the SQ B747-200 take-off incident at MEL on RWY 27 many years ago. In both cases if an engine had failed after V1 the aircraft could have been disasters on a scale not previously seen in Australia.

I do not have any time for operators or pilots who over load aircraft or compromise safety. This incident will make it harder for some operators to obtain flight approval in Australian airspace.

The last ID76 incident investigated by the ATSB (Baucau 2003) found serious short comings by the operator and the pilots, including licensing of the crew.

OverRun
26th Nov 2006, 07:15
Love this Google Earth - here is the end in question. Note the runway strip markers co-incident with the end of the blacktop:

http://www.kubu.net/richmond.jpg

Capt Fathom
26th Nov 2006, 09:25
Note the RAAF's latest purchase at the Holding Point! :E