PDA

View Full Version : seat pitch

tallseabird
25th Nov 2006, 16:14
I have tracked down various websites that show the seat pitch on most airlines but cannot find any details for Monarch or XL.com, there also appears to be confusion about MyTravel, First Choice and Thomsonfly as well

Can anyone enlighten me?

And furthermore any info regarding paying for extra legroom, is it worth it? details on the various (charter) airline websites are scant apart from the cost. It appears that you are paying (subject to suitability) for an emergency exit.

Thanks

TightSlot
25th Nov 2006, 17:25
It appears that you are paying (subject to suitability) for an emergency exit.

Correct, although in occasional cases, it may not be an exit row seat. Bulkhead seats tend to be held back for PRM's (who are unsuitable anyway for exit rows). I can't tell you whether or not it is worth the price, but I'm sure others will.

Standard charter set pitch on short-haul is 28" but there are many variations on this, not only between carriers, but within a company itself, and sometimes within fleets. For example Tfly (my lot) offer 28" on 757 short-haul, and also on 737-500 & 737-300 - however 737-800 is at 30" (I think): The 767 fleet varies dependant on whether it is a short-haul or long-haul config operating your flight.

There are as many opinions on the seat pitch issue as there are people flying. Many customers are very vocal in expressing their displeasure, but there are also many for whom this is simply not an issue. I doubt that anybody finds charter pitch comfortable, but there are more people than you may imagine that find it an acceptable level of discomfort for the fare paid.

It is also worth noting that seat width can be more of an issue for some, than seat pitch.

Good Luck

goshdarnit
25th Nov 2006, 19:10
Nice comments TightSlot, I agree with your point about width - I myself cannot see much advantage between a 30" seat pitch and a 31" or 32". What difference does an inch or two make? (leaving the forum open to the double entendre brigade!!!). Four or five inches maybe, but a wider seat seems much more comfy.
Or maybe I just have a fat ass? :hmm:

GDI

Been Accounting
26th Nov 2006, 08:09
If you look at the aircraft type and the number of seats you will get a good idea of comfort. On a given type unless there is a class mix difference or a clear SIX seat difference in seat count (i.e. a row) then the seat pitch is going to be very similar.

A modern seat will have a slimmer seat back and better cushion forms. So with the same pitch you can have more comfort.

Seat width varies between types (A320 wider than 757/737 etc) but seat width also varies for different carriers with the same type because the seat manufacturers are not the same. (Remember the aircraft OEMs do not make the seats despite the general public's view.)

Unless you have a detailed seating layout you will have a hard job identifying the extra pitch.

The exception is on airline like BA that have variable geometry seats that concertina from 5-abreast in Business to 6-abreast in Economy. In this case the pitch is probably better (or at least equal) in the front of the cabin. http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40675 In this case you should aim to sit in the double seat just behind the curtain on the PORT side. This is because this seat is in Business class configuration to reduce the kink in the aisle.

A good seat is a personal preference: Window, aisle, bulkhead or e-exit and depend if you are travelling alone or as a couple/family.

How much do you want to pay for more pitch? In this day-and-age of Internet sales the best price, at the right time of day is often the best seat.

Musket90
26th Nov 2006, 08:18
Paid for extra legroom on long haul MON A330 and they were centre bulkhead adjacent to toilets. Never again - both cabin crew and pax kept using the legroom area to go from one aisle to the other, so with extra legroom I got much extra inconvenience and disturbance.

10secondsurvey
28th Nov 2006, 08:08
I'm guessing that you posted this question as legroom may be of importance to you. I can only speak from my own lengthy experience of flying, where legroom is an important aspect, and I will choose carriers based upon this, as some charter carriers especially, are verging on the ridiculous, if you are over 5'6".

Having said that, it is important to appreciate the distinction between seat pitch, and legroom. Seat pitch is measured from the front of the seat back of one seat to the front of the seat back of the seat in front, so for example, a seat pitch of 32", with a seat that is 2" inches thick, will leave approximately 30" of legroom. So for any given airline, the legroom depends not just upon seat pitch, but also the thickness of the seat. Seat thickness varies a lot.

Some carriers have seats that are much thicker than others, so even if they have a higher seat pitch, they still have the same overall legroom.

As for the comment above that 1-2" inches make little difference, I have to disagree, it makes the difference between having your knees pressed against the seat in front, so you cannot move your legs, and are in actual extreme physical pain on a long flight, and having a small degree of movement.

To further compound the issue, how tight a given legroom space will be depends not just upon height, but rather upon the length of your femur (thigh bone). One 6' person may find a 31" seat pitch ok, but another (with longer femurs) will find it impossible to fit in the seat.

My strong recommendation to you is this, if you are tallish or have long legs, you WILL find most charter aircraft extremely uncomfortable, and I would strongly advocate you pay for extra legroom seats, or find another carrier. Sitting for any length of time with your legs pinned tightly to the seat in front, so you cannot move is VERY UNHEALTHY, and extremely painful, causing long term pain to both your hip joints and your lower spine. Neither is much fun whilst on holiday.

For the record, those here who say, that it doesn't matter as much as price, are people who either fly very little, have a vested interest(i.e work for an airline with ridiculously low seat pitch to maximise profit), or are not very tall, and have never experienced the living hell of sitting for three hours with your legs pinned to the seat in front. Sure you can get up and walk about, but that can be difficult on a charter these days, as the CC trolleys are usually out most of the time 'selling things'.

Seat width is also important, but not the actual dimensions of the seat, say 17.5", but the space sideways between the seat. Typically, the seats are more cramped at either end of a charter aircraft, as the actual front and rear of the aircraft taper, and so are physically narrower, so best option without extra legroom, is to get a seat near the middle of the length of the plane, and definitely not at the very first or last row. This is not the case with all carriers, but is true with most charters. Make sure you get an aisle seat.

In short, if it's important, get your travel agent to get you a flight if at all possible with extra legroom (most charters do it, so argue if your travel agent says it is not possible), even if you pay more, it is really worth it.

This only applies to charters. For scheduled carriers, many now have a premium economy class, such as united, Virgin, BA, ANA, EVA, Air New Zealand, and so on. For long haul flights via scheduled carrier, they are worth checking out. Book well in advance, and you will often get the premium fares for not much more than the regular economy fares.

OverRun
28th Nov 2006, 13:19
Monarch 28-29" Their premium economy = 34"
My Travel 29-30" Long Haul: 35" Premium Long Haul: 28" Short Haul
First choice long haul Star Class 33": Premier 36": Short haul 28"-29"

[I cannot believe that these are seat pitches - they are more like bicycle wheel sizes. I'm all in favour of leading the world and I acknowledge that the UK does this often, but I think you've picked the wrong thing to lead this time].