PDA

View Full Version : Important news for Pratchett fans

tubthumper
25th Nov 2006, 16:00
This December 17th and 18th, Sky is showing a two-part dramatisation of "Hogfather", with Ian Richardson providing the voice of Death, Sir David Jason as Albert, Michelle Dockery as Susan Sto-Helit (although I admit, I've never heard of her), and Marc Warren as Mr Teatime (the young one in BBC's "Hustle").

It's about time one of the Discworld novels made it onto the screen without being animated first. Here's hoping it's as good as the source material.

So what's next. How about a big screen adaption of "Guards! Guards!". Clive Owen as Sam Vimes, Patrick Stewart as the Patrician, Chris Columbus directing. That would be worth seven quid of my money.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
25th Nov 2006, 17:50
Forget the big screen, you should try the radio adaptations they had on BBC7. Very entertaining versions of Mort, Gaurds Gaurds and they also had the amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents.

It made a fan out of me :ok:

modtinbasher
25th Nov 2006, 21:58
Radio, aaaah.

When I was a little lad, on a Monday night, I used to run a mile down to the local electricity shop (radio shop) and collect our 2 glass lead acid accumulaters, fresh from the charge (for 6d) and then run back all the way to listen to 'Journey into Space' with Mitch Murray and giant rhubarb plants!

We sat there, dad, mum and I, in the fantastic glow of a gas mantle, no electricity you see, my gran whom we lived with ("would not entertain this new-fangled thing - work of the devil"), enthralled by the wonder of outer space and our imagination.

Moving on, in the early days of Dr Who (Hartnell era) we had giant (black and white) woodlice things, scuttling across the floor and woe betide anyone who got near to their feelers!

The last Dr Who series was pretty good I thought, but Torchwood leaves me like a pre-wetted voluptuous maiden just waiting for a good but unobtainable bonk!

If you remember the A5 size books, for the life of me I can't remember their name, 2 of the most entertaining stories I read were:- The Little Black Bag (I think). It was about a doctor's bag from the future being found in present time, and had microtome scalpels that would just cut to the depth you wanted them to....

And the other was about a world that was essentially backward. You didn't have a job but got whatever you wanted, food, clothing, etc. But you had to pay taxes (as far as I remember) so you took perfect things apart and did other reversionary tasks to be paid for your efforts in srallod (dollars). I can't remember a lot more about it, but, fantastically entertaining. If any Ppruner can identify these works and direct me on the path to literary fulfillment, please advise!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
25th Nov 2006, 22:04
Journey Into Space? Look no further than here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainframe.shtml?http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/bbc7.shtml) :8

It's been running a while though so I'm not sure how many are left.

You can always listen to Yes Minister instead

goshdarnit
25th Nov 2006, 22:50
tub, thanks for the info!
Pratchett needs transferring to the screen, but the issue is not the actors (who cares?!) but that the absolute comedy, irony, slapstick, social comment are represented intact, not dumbed-down for a mass audience who don't / can't read anything reasonably intelligent.
I have a feeling (and I am setting myself up to be shot down) that the upcoming program will be vaguely dissatisfying.
I am really not sure that Rincewind, The Patrician, Gaspode, Sam Vimes, Mort, The Luggage, Nobbs, Carrot, et al, would get the sympathetic treatment that would make the screen transition what it should be. Americans won't get it, and who else has the money?

GDI