PDA

View Full Version : The Price of Elecktrickery.

terryJones
25th Nov 2006, 13:41
This week, as is common nowadays, I was verbally accosted on the rag and bone by a sales person. This particular individual wanted me to change my Pre Payment key for a pre payment key provided by 'his' company. (Whilst pointing out the benefits of paying by DD )
The sales pitch opened with the question 'What is your post code'
Bugger me, I thought, this company plans on sending the electric out via the Royal Mail.
Nope, turns out the cost of the electrickery is dependent on your geographical location.
Looking at one of the charts available on the interweb thingy, it would seem that we are in one of the cheaper areas. WHY, however, should it vary. There is in place a thing called the National Grid. This connects all the country together, and, I believe, even goes under the Channel to help the froggies cook their legs.
Now the electron has no idea of where it is geographically, all it knows is that 6.2*10^18 past a given point in one second = 1 ampere. It cares not whether it is in EASTERN region at 8.27p/unit, or SWEB area at 10.67p/unit
It is, I assume, another case of one lot of Shareholders being greedier than another lot.
Unless YOU know better?

G-CPTN
25th Nov 2006, 13:47
'Tis congestion charge. Too much 'trickery along one wire causes excessive heat which reduces 'e' fficiency. Empty wires allow electrons to speed along unimpeded (think empty motorways).
Stands to reason dunnit?

tony draper
25th Nov 2006, 14:13
There is only one national grid, a question arises how does one energy company keep their electrons separate from another energy companie's electrons if they are all travelling along one wire shoulder to shoulder arm in arm as it were? I mean, if I am paying top wack for posh peoples electricity I dont want any of those cheap tatty electrons meant for poor folk mixing with those destined for me.
:rolleyes:

mary_hinge
25th Nov 2006, 15:16
This week, as is common nowadays, I was verbally accosted on the rag and bone by a sales person.

Try this approach :E

http://howtoprankatelemarketer.ytmnd.com/

Lon More
25th Nov 2006, 15:19
if I am paying top wack for posh peoples electricity I dont want any of those cheap tatty electrons meant for poor folk mixing with those destined for me.
Sounds like Mrs. Bucket talking.
Watch out for a name change to Anthony DeRapier :\

The late XV105
25th Nov 2006, 16:52
...I believe, even goes under the Channel to help the froggies cook their legs.

Actually, it works both ways but usually the converse; our Leetle Froggie Cousins allow me, in Blighty, to have my ros bif of a Sunday...

Farrell
25th Nov 2006, 19:05
Mary....

That link is absolutely hilarious. Guy didn't know what hit him. Will have to work on a UK version now.

fmgc
25th Nov 2006, 19:24
The Telephone Preference Service (http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/)

G-CPTN
25th Nov 2006, 19:35
WARNING - EXTREME SWEARING - DO NOT CLICK IF YOU MIGHT BE OFFENDED

This refers to a BT 'cold-call' to an ex-directory subscriber. It sounds genuine (listen to the end of the 'tape').

Warning - bad language and quite loud (audio file) - If you're 'in company' you might want to turn your speaker volume way down:-
http://www.boredatuni.com/files/bt_call.wav

Loose rivets
26th Nov 2006, 03:56
That'd be me on a good day:}

vapilot2004
26th Nov 2006, 04:09
Sounds like Mrs. Bucket talking.
Watch out for a name change to Anthony DeRapier :\

The name is Bucket. :}

terryJones
26th Nov 2006, 11:31
Tony Draper
The best of it is you know, they have the bloody electrons trained, like Homing Pigeons, they sod off back to where they came from after you get them, so not only may you get 'Commoner' 'Trickery, you get second hand commoner 'trickery...

frostbite
26th Nov 2006, 11:40
Always remember to keep plugs in sockets to stop the electricity leaking out.

High Wing Drifter
26th Nov 2006, 12:07
Now the electron has no idea of where it is geographically, all it knows is that 6.2*10^18 past a given point in one second = 1 ampere. It cares not whether it is in EASTERN region at 8.27p/unit, or SWEB area at 10.67p/unit
It is, I assume, another case of one lot of Shareholders being greedier than another lot.
Unless YOU know better?
The cost of supplying electricity is relative to the distance you are from the source (beyond a cirtain point). This is one of the reasons why so called "clean energy" is anything but and the leccy trains are nowhere near as efficient or clean as supposed by many people (esp the greenies).

Whether this is reflected in the pricing differences you mention or not is another matter.

Also, as with Gas, the cost of supply is its own commodity market. Wholesale supplier must purchase their requirements from the supply pool. If they underuse there is excess, if they overuse then the shortfall has to be made up. Suppliers trade surpless capacity with suppliers who have shortfall, those who underbook need to buy and those who overbook need to sell. Those who manage this process or who have a more predictable market get to lower their costs and their prices.

frostbite
26th Nov 2006, 14:39
All that privatisation has done is to put a load more snouts in the trough.

There are simply more people in the line between the producer and the consumer - distributors, wholesalers, retailers, and of course, the brokers taking a huge commission.

If you want to find out the real price of electricity, try generating your own and selling it to the Grid - you might get 2p per kWh if you're lucky!

barit1
27th Nov 2006, 03:32
What would you do to your neighbor if he did THIS??? (http://www.lookatentertainment.com/v/v-1810.htm) :eek: :{ :ugh: :E :E :E

barit1
27th Nov 2006, 03:40
...If you want to find out the real price of electricity, try generating your own and selling it to the Grid - you might get 2p per kWh if you're lucky!

Out in Callyfornia, the utility is required to pay you the going retail rate for electricity at the time you generate it. UAL SFO installed a gas turbine generator which they ran at peak periods, making good money for a few hours each day, and generating by-product steam for cleaning processes in their shop. Not sure if it's still a going operation, but it made sense at the time I visited them. :8

Oceanz
27th Nov 2006, 03:44
What would you do to your neighbor if he did THIS??? (http://www.lookatentertainment.com/v/v-1810.htm)

Either sneak over and wire my switchboard into theirs as they wouldn't notice the increased usage in the interim or...

b) Cross-wire the phases into their house so I could get some sleep:hmm: