PDA

View Full Version : PAx with *very* bad back - allowed to board ?

Randomtox
25th Nov 2006, 13:02
Hi all,

A friend of mine has a really :{ bad back (1 hour to just get dressed in the morning !) Would you, as CC, allow him to fly (assuming you noticed his disablement on boarding) .. or would you ask him to disembark citing flight safety (his and other passengers) as the concern ?

Is this the sort of thing you look for / notice when Pax are boarding and do you have set procedures for assessing / dealing with things like this ?

He's due to fly to LHR / JFK soon (can't imagine that is god for anyones back really !) - even in business.

thanks
Random

TightSlot
25th Nov 2006, 13:58
See no reason at all why he shouldn't fly - but please don't ask for an exit row seat and "forget" to mention the ailment :E

eidah
25th Nov 2006, 14:50
yep no problem with flying as long as you informed the airline before you travelled and ask to be pre boarded have had many passengers who couldnt even walk in my airline you would be placed nearest seat to the exit but not at the exit row.

sinala1
25th Nov 2006, 22:08
Yeah I cant see any reason to not allow them to fly - although one of my pet hates when I used to fly long haul was pax who expected/demanded an upgrade due to their bad back/hip/big toe/sore finger/hangover etc.... :ugh: so I suggest if your friend is flying the 7 and a bit hour flight from LHR to JFK that (if they can) they splash out on an Upper Class or Club World seat - I am sure it would make the journey that much more comfortable for them :ok:

flower
25th Nov 2006, 22:45
Uumm, I have an exceptionally bad back, I have lost my Class 1 medical and shall shortly being having invasive procedures to correct it, I am not even allowed to sit for longer than 50 minutes on medical advice, perhaps your friend should seek medical advice first as it could cause untold damage to them.

trolleytop
28th Nov 2006, 10:57
Hi there,

agree with other posters, there is no restriction on who can travel with a bad back or any dissability as long as pax can look after themselves. For any pax who cannot look after themselves, they should travel with a companion who should be able to help them.( help with toilet, eating etc)

As pointed out, to sit still for a long time with a bad back might not be a very good idea. Seek medical advice. Although a business class seat (bed) would be much more comfortable, this is not offered by the airlines. If you want it you pay for it.

As crew we will always try our best to make any pax as comfortable as poss, but we do not upgrade.

If any pax has any probs or concerns the should tell the crew when they board the aircraft. It is much better we know of a situation early on, so that if there should be any probs later on , at least we know we are dealing with.

Hope your friend gets to NYC ok and is able to enjoy the Big Apple!

Trolleytop