PDA

View Full Version : Programmers out there

planecrazy.eu
25th Nov 2006, 10:31
Hey, I know there are a few programmers out there that know a little, or a lot about c code, i need your help once more...

I got some great help a few weeks back on C code, helped me heaps, but now i am stuck once again...

I need to create a database in C, it needs to store a persons names, phone number and house no and post code and it has to be able to add, delete, edit, list and search, oh an sort =)

My problem, and its a big one, i have no idea where to start, a little hint or two would be most greatful.

I was thinking this should be done using a text file, but i am aware that others in my class are working with "structures"?

I am just an Aerospace guy, i have to learn C to programme the Sim next year, most others in my glass are doing Computer Science and the likes and all the C code i would ever need to use is loops and if's. not so sure i will need this advanced stuff but need it to pass the module.

Anyway, i would appreciate any help or hints you may be able to provide, cheers guys/gals

BOAC
25th Nov 2006, 11:45
'Databases' here (http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/default.asp?lngWId=3) may give you some ideas.

hooligan88b
25th Nov 2006, 13:17
www.codeguru.com and www.codeproject.com are also great resources. There's lots of ways of implementing lists, tables and databases, it all depends on the size and complexity of your project. For a simple table of, say, 100 items with a few fields and one key a 'struct' in memory and a simple flat file is probably the way to go, whereas for multi-thousand item, multi key, with many fields then one would look at using a relational database such as MSDE, and coding quieries to it in code.