PDA

View Full Version : Maytag Washing Machines

jumpuFOKKERjump
24th Nov 2006, 22:31
Anybody else owned one of these turkeys?

My intensive research was swayed by the German name, was a bit surprised when I got it home to discover it was made in the USA. Well, truthfully, we bought it because of its good water saving rating. We aren't on mains water.

Our main beef with it was reliability. Two years & eight months after buying it, the 3rd breakdown appears terminal or at least beyond the capabilities of the approved service agent. We've now bought a new one with American sounding name that appears to be German...

Maytag: Performance you can depend on - for 2 years & 8 months...

G-CPTN
24th Nov 2006, 22:34
We had a similar trick here with a kitchen-manufacturer called Möben. Most people assumed they were German and, therefore they were buying 'German Quality', but they were (and are) a 100% UK operation.

http://www.maytag.com.au/about-maytag.asp

(Coming to the UK soon, so thanks for the warning.)

ChrisVJ
24th Nov 2006, 22:52
I'm guessing you have one of them new fangled front loader types. Maytag aren't too bad if you have the traditional american water guzzling type. Our uses about 15 gals per fill, that as much as 60 gals per wash. Mind you it does a huge armful of clothes for that. Mrs ChrisVJ is an assault course for washing machines. With the kids at home (6 of them) she may do five or six washes a day.Our W M/cand TD are three years old now and have had one service call between them (Just kick it about here!)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
24th Nov 2006, 23:35
Um lifting has said what I was going to say. We have a Maytag fridge (or as the Amerikans callit, a frig :rolleyes: ) They used to be a high level brand, but now they belong to the slitty eyes.

We've had our fridge worked on several times.

Wonderworld
25th Nov 2006, 00:04
I love my Maytag front loader. Havent had a spot of trouble so far and its about 2 years old. :ok:

Farrell
25th Nov 2006, 00:10
Had two top loaders where I used to be based.
Constantly breaking down.
Still there though!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
25th Nov 2006, 00:18
I love my Maytag front loader. Havent had a spot of trouble so far and its about 2 years old. :ok: Well, I guess that means you have about eight months left to enjoy it.

Not the ones who are literate :D Down here they call it "a icebox"

G-CPTN
25th Nov 2006, 00:30
Ice? Ice!
We were lucky if we'd had the water that dripped from the stick . . .
. . . if we'd had a stick that is . . .

Folk today just don't know they were born (WTF does that mean?)

Loose rivets
25th Nov 2006, 06:17
One can almost climb into me dryer. 'tis gas, and for the first time we are using a dryer for erm, drying. Our house in Essex was so dry that it used to suck the water out of yer glass and so we would hang stuff about the place to dry it and humidify the house while we were at it. Drying!! at drying...!!!!!

Here, we thought we would teach the natives a thing or two about conservation and I put up a line in the garden. After about a year I got tired of shaking bugs out of me busby and nits out of me knickers..so the (used) machine was purchased. Bloooooooooooooooody fantastic. Costs nowt to run and one can wash one's sheets and (skinny) duvet and be back in bed in 90 mins.

It's so nice to be able to add a few forgotten things with the top loader. Examine the suddyness etc. Would not want to go back to a diddy front loader.

Mind you these huge machines would not have fitted in me new laundry back home.

Maytag have been good on the warranty, and have just offered us cover for our Aircon. Don't know why, they just did.

You say they are now not American.... 'tll be Chinese apple pie soon.

arcniz
25th Nov 2006, 06:36
We were lucky if we'd had the water that dripped from the stick . . .

Back then, our water was so bad, yer had ta roll it out on ta ground and pound it some before it would go inta ter pipe. The thunkin' an grindin in ter machine was terrible to hear, but that made ter water chunks smaller so they flaked off pretty quick when ya hung yer tings on ter fence.

daedalus
25th Nov 2006, 14:18
What puzzles me is dishwashers that don't wash dishes. my wife says that our Bosch dishwasher is OK, "as long as you give the dishes a wash before putting them in..."
Anyone else find something a little weird about that?
We should have bought a Miele. Our washing machine is a Miele and we have never had the slightest problem with it in 20 years.;)

chuks
25th Nov 2006, 18:29
We bought a top-loading commercial-model Maytag for our Lagos, Nigeria base after several snazzy plasticky machines with multi-function computer control chips succumbed to NEPA voltage fluctuations and the local way of operating things. (Our local help could break a crowbar with a polishing cloth.)

This was a plain-vanilla machine with just the basic functions, the same sort you see in a laundromat except without the coin receptacle. It looked really butch and it was made in Newton, Iowa.

It can do 12 kilos of washing at a time. Last I heard it was still working okay. On the other hand, I don't suppose it was made to conserve water, no.

frostbite
25th Nov 2006, 21:04
Unless you have the type of hot water system that delivers hot water the instant you turn on the tap, you are better off leaving the hot fill on your washing machine turned off and just using cold fill.

This is because, by the time the hot water reaches the machine (if it does!), the machine will have had its fill of the cold water already in the downpipe and all your hot water will be sitting warming the brickwork.

GrandPrix
25th Nov 2006, 22:27
jumpuFOKKERjump is the best "handle" I have seen on the pprune. LMAO:D
Maytag sux since Whirlpool bought them.
Planned obsolesence is about 18 months.

G-CPTN
25th Nov 2006, 22:29
Maytag sux since Whirlpool bought them.
Ah!
Say no more . . .

pigboat
26th Nov 2006, 01:45
The first washing machine we had was a department store marque. It lasted the requisite 24 months then quit. We bought a Simplicity. It went for 16 years and gave up the ghost. The current Maytag commercial washer, la chuks, has been going for 18 years.

Dunno about the rest of the world, but one company in Canada built most marques of washing machines. They were just built to different tolerances and the applicable nametag was bolted on at the end of the production line.