PDA

View Full Version : Bournemouth Factorys Pictures

eurostar builder
24th Nov 2006, 20:09
Not being very old I would really like to see some pictures
of the Hangars at Bournemouth Airport in there day with production lines in them,

What did we have Viscounts - 1-11s anything else.

Can anybody help please

PS Im only 30 missed those days.

ICT_SLB
25th Nov 2006, 00:32
There's some excellent photos of the BAC 1-11 Erection shops (as the fuselage manufacturing area was called) and final line in the Photos section of the BAC1-11 Yahoo Group at http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/BAC1-11/photos
You might have to join the group to view them. An overall view of Hurn Airport including the BAC factory is shown on pages 218 & 219 of "Wings Over Dorset" by Leslie Dawson (ISBN 0 9486699 10 8).

The 1-11 wings were made at Weighbridge but Hurn also made parts for the Jet Provost as the factory had originally been set up by ex-Hunting pesonnel (the 1-11 started out as the Hunting-Percival HP66). There was also the deHavilland factory at Somerford that produced the Sea Vixen as its final product. I beleive the SRDE (Signals Research & Developement Establishment) and Christchurch Council housing took over all that site.

chevvron
26th Nov 2006, 15:18
Christchurch (Somerford) was a completely different airfield to the east of Bournemouth (Hurn is to the north) originally operated Airspeeds, who I think were taken over by DH. Some of the roads in the housing estate on the old airfield site have aviation names. The runway at Christchurch was still visible up to the early '70s when there were strange aerials all over the site associated with SRDE, which closed in the early about this time.