PDA

View Full Version : I love Zermatt!

stickandrudderman
23rd Nov 2006, 22:25
Anybody on here got a large apartment I can rent in Zermatt for Easter?:ok:

sir
24th Nov 2006, 09:10
I love Zermatt too - I wish I did own a chalet there...

Try these : http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/zermatt.htm

I was looking for a place in Valais for March next year and found a lot of promising chalets on there.

pup150
24th Nov 2006, 09:39
Going to Zermatt this March for the first time, It's the Boy's "once every two years" ski trip. Any advice where to go not to go gratefully received (skiing and nightlife that is) .

GANNET FAN
24th Nov 2006, 09:44
I love Zermatt too - I wish I did own a chalet there...

Try these : http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/zermatt.htm

I was looking for a place in Valais for March next year and found a lot of promising chalets on there.

If you haven't tried skiing in the States you just haven't skiied. Boxing day off to Vail, Colorado can't wait.

sir
27th Nov 2006, 08:59
But there's no Matterhorn in Vail !
pup - it's a while since I've been there, but I can recommend a few things...
All the skiing is pretty fantastic - the Trockener Steg side is less charming but it's the gateway to a great excursion over the pass and down an epic red-run into the Italian resort of Cervinia for a traditional Val D'Aosta lunch - try the Polenta Valdostana, bubbling with melted cheese...
Zermatt has some of the finest and most charming mountain restaurants. Ignore the self-service cafeterias and take time to visit somewhere like "Chez Vrony" (www.chezvrony.ch) which you'll find in the ramshackle collection of mountain huts at Findeln, accessible from the Rothorn mountain.
Apres ski drinks at the Papperla Pub, or Grampi's to warm up after a day skiing, then home to the hotel or chalet to grab a shower and change.
The Post hotel with its numerous bars and restaurants is a good spot for early and then late evening drinks with dinner somewhere else in between. The Post also has a nightclub popular with chalet girls - they're the ones dancing on the barrels...:E
The North Wall bar in the Hotel Rhodania is another off-the-beaten track venue. They have all kinds of themed evenings and even when nothing special has been arranged, the superb pizzas, cheap(ish) beer and backdrop of extreme skiing videos on the big screen add to the mountain-town outdoorsy atmosphere.

GANNET FAN
27th Nov 2006, 09:55
[quote=sir;2988815]But there's no Matterhorn in Vail !
S & Rman, the skiing in the Rockies is sensational but the one thing they lack, in my opinion, is what you are describing in Zermatt. A scarcity of mountain restaurants and not only that but a disastrous lack of good boozing places on the mountain. No little looseners to boost your nerve, or halfway down the mountain stops to warm you up. Go to extremes on the booze and they'll kick you off the montain and take your pass, but having said that the scenery is sensational and the runs fantastic.

And the pundits are saying this year will be a crap one for snow in Europe.

Don't break a leg!

sir
27th Nov 2006, 10:00
And the pundits are saying this year will be a crap one for snow in Europe.
Yes - I can well believe it. This weekend in the Swiss Alps we had "Fohn" winds which left what little snow there was in a pretty patchy state. Far too warm for the time of year !

Al Fakhem
27th Nov 2006, 11:15
Well, first, there is an ongoing boycott of the Valais, as the provincial government recently put itself in contempt of court and went ahead to kill a lone wolf, which happens to be a protected species. :yuk:

Second, as an earlier contributor has pointed out, there is a lack of cosy mountain pubs along the ski-ing tracks in Zermatt. In that respect, most places in Austria would be far more attractive (and probably cheaper, too). :ok:

sir
27th Nov 2006, 15:10
No no no Fakhem - the lack of restaurants was in the Rockies - there are plenty in Zermatt and beyond the cafeterias they're lovely !

Tricky Woo
27th Nov 2006, 16:57
Ahh Zermatt, dontcha know.

Great skiing, and super romantic setting. The Matterhorn dominates everything. Great bars and restaurants, both in town and up on t'hill.

I second that looooooooooong red run down to Cervina (actually in Italy) on the other side of the Kleiner Matterhorn 'pass'. Can't remember how long, but it's reputated to be the longest run in Europe. My bloody legs gets wobbly by the time I get down there, I can tell yer. Yer just got to be damn sure you get back to the top of the ridge by about 4:30pm or you'll be spending the night in Italy.

If you get to Cervina early enough, there's a 'secret' red run tucked up in the far left corner (as you look up the slopes from the Cervina side) actually in the crook of the Matterhorn itself. The best sking of my life there, and no buggah there 'cos the Italians are too busy sipping wine and posing to ski, and the Swiss can never work out how to hop across the ski-lifts to get up there. Just a few plucky Brits, and wide fast pistes to carve yer dreams on.

Sigh.

And the rest of the fun's on the Swiss side. Do what you like: it's all great. The top of the Kleiner Matterhorn gondala lift's bloody high... about 3,000m (10,000 feet) methinks. Gets yer chest wheezing for oxygen, that does.

Oh I've just remembered another secret run on the swissy side along the foot of the Matterhorn. A bit of cross country almost, but very evocative. It's labelled as a blue, but towards the end of it there's one of those drops into a gully that surprises yer: narrow, steep and broken up by snow-boarders. When I got there a group of the more nervous amongst us were stalled at the top trying to summon the bottle to go down. As I paused for breath, I heard a smallish girl start shouting at her father in posh english: "Daddy! You promised me this was a blue. I'm going to tell mummy!" and then started to hit her father with a ski pole in red-faced anger "Ow! Ow! Ow!"

I was laughing so much, that I fell down the gully sideways, and then found myself at the bottom (still laughing out loud) miraculously on my feet.

TW