PDA

View Full Version : When to shoot your dog.

gingernut
23rd Nov 2006, 20:49
Meet the mad hound.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/gingernut123/DSCN2555.jpg

This is my loyal hound of 12 years, who, poor thing has gone off her back legs. Up until about 6 months ago, she was quite happily following me up the local peaks, but now finds it difficult to even get to the back garden to drop her handbag, due to dysfunctional back legs.

I've had her to the vets, who diagnosed arthritis of the hips, and "nerve damage," and sold me a few tablets, which sort of worked for a while, but, without going into too much detail, made the bowel problem worse. (which doesn't mix well with poor mobility.)

She doesn't seem to be in much pain, but seems a bit frustrated about her lack of walkies.

The big question- at what do I order the big needle?

frostbite
23rd Nov 2006, 20:59
If you posted a picture, it didn't appear for me.

If she's not in (a lot of) pain, why not get her one of those little trollies for her back feet to go in?

Edited to say: Second time round the picture appeared - she's lovely!

Rainboe
23rd Nov 2006, 20:59
Sounds like Canine Hip Dysplasia. The hip joint becomes seriously disjointed, affects larger dogs, particular German Shepherds and Labs very badly. Genetic, not much you can do. From the look of that lovely dog's face, it's not greying badly and the eyelids aren't drooping. She looks as though she still has a few miles in her yet! You will know when she's had enough. Just keep giving her painkillers and let her adjust gently to her new limitations. An aspirin a day may help, try something soothing like Ibuprofen- it may help her. Walking becomes increasingly difficult, but while she still has a bit of fun and gets some enjoyment out of life, why stop her? They increasingly lose feeling in their back and may eventually start messing themselves unaware lying down. After that, it doesn't take long.

tony draper
23rd Nov 2006, 21:11
I know from personel experience what a hard desision it is to make,but we own our four legged pals that duty,at least thats what I told myself, and in a fairly long and eventfull life it is still the hardest thing I have ever had to do.
:(

arcniz
23rd Nov 2006, 21:26
One approach - that allows the animal some choice in the matter - is to reduce the creature's feed quantity toward zero. If the dog wishes to continue, at some point it will pull together, develop some means to cope, and show appetite for more. If not it will weaken a bit, probably stop eating altogether, and then likely pass within days in a moderately comfortable and orderly way. Sitting with an animal in this process, one does not feel it is wrong.

I have seen this with quite a few cats and dogs. They do not seem to suffer because of it. A few have miraculously recovered. Something similar will be my choice, if the machines and ladders do not get me first.

tony draper
23rd Nov 2006, 21:35
I carried my Nephews Jack Russel out to the car and said goodbye to him for the last time I though,he was in a grim state and was diagnosed with multiple myoloma, my nephew decided to go for the treatment the vet offered, but even the vet held out little hope,that was about a year ago I looked after him yesterday,his recovery seems almost miraculous because recover he did,back to his old waggy tailed jumping about like a loon Jack Russel self now,so there is always hope.
:rolleyes:

Kestrel_909
23rd Nov 2006, 21:37
My first dog was put down when I was quite young. We had taken him in as a stray, very shy Rough Collie that had been mistreated before. I grew up with it, and one of the things I absolutely regret is not being with him when he got put down.

Sitting with him rubbing his head as he passed away...if I'm ever in the same situation again I'll sit with them to the very end, hand in paw. :{

Gosh, lump in throat big time.

kissmysquirrel
23rd Nov 2006, 22:00
Let the dog have it's dignity. If it's unable to walk and go to the toilet without problems, it's kinder to have it put to sleep. Had to do this with my dog (14 years old) and although upsetting, at least it's painless (didnt say heartbreaking) and the dog doesn't suffer. The problem with dogs though, they will follow you to the ends of the earth. You are their life and until they can't drag themselves after you any longer, they will give you the love and affection very few humans can. They don't judge.

You have to be cruel to be kind. Just not looking forward to my present mutt getting much older!:{ :{

As posted above, be there at the end holding a paw. You'll cry like a baby but will always be glad you were there at the end.

Foss
23rd Nov 2006, 22:13
It's a very painful decision. While I still lived at home years back our lab had the same problem. It just got worse and worse. Trips to the vet a lot, then it couldn't get up. Then my father just said, right, time for the vets. And gave her a Kit Kat. Stroked her a lot and got quite upset. He'd had her since she was a pup.
That was that. He stayed at the table while she got the injection.

The problem is when you look back you'll think, were you being kind hearted, or hard hearted, and that's were you'll beat yourself up I think.
If it's that badly off, maybe it's the right thing to do.
Fos

polomint
23rd Nov 2006, 22:18
Gingernut,

When I was much younger we had a german shep (posted on here before actually) :)

She also had severe problems with her hips as most Alsations do. She started to drag her back legs and could no longer walk...the vet told us she was not in any pain so we let her be. She was 14 years old when we finally put her down.....

CAUTION...this bit is upsetting..

My mum and I woke up one morning to find she had tried to chew out the pain:( There was a lot of blood and of course, we took her to be put down...we just wish we had done it earlier. Agree with a previous post...let her have some dignity. Was and still is one of the most upsetting days i ever had:{

Whatever you choose to do will be tough...just do what you think is best. Beautiful dog by the way:)

Polo

tony draper
23rd Nov 2006, 22:20
I called the vet and he came to my home,I could not simply have taken him to the vets,dogs are very aware of whats going on,incidenty I also made sure he was totaly out of it on sleeping pills as well when the vet came.

arcniz
23rd Nov 2006, 22:26
If it's that badly off, maybe it's the right thing to do.

Earlier comments notwithstanding, I heartily agree. Animals with irreparable injurythat renders them completely dysfunctional, uncontrollable manic behavior, obvious profound terminal pain and similar trauma are candidates for the short way out.

G-CPTN
23rd Nov 2006, 22:39
As the 'intelligent' race, we have it within our power to end (or save) the suffering of our loyal pets. The decision is merely to advance their arrival in doggy heaven rather than remain here to salve your emotions. Better that she (and you) should remember the good days rather than the deterioration towards a miserable quality of life. In the wild you know what would happen . . . so be BOLD, take the decision and give her the peace that she deserves.

(He types through tears, knowing full well what it's like.)

We can kid ourselves that they are not suffering, but does she enjoy being as she has become? What do you think she is thinking when missing out on the walks with her master? Come on! Be brave on behalf of your devoted companion.

TimS
23rd Nov 2006, 22:44
F*ck - yet again on this forum this subject reduces a 6ft, 15stone plus hardcase to tears!

One of the hardest decisions we ever have to make as dog (or cat, or possibly other species) owners (been there three times now) .... really nice looking mutt (that's a term of affection) and no doubt a great friend - GN, take a deep breath (and probably a large scotch), think about the pleasure and friendship she has willingly provided and then decide whether she is happy and wants to go on .... your first decision will probably be the right one, stick with it and believe in the reasons you took it.

Good luck.

Keygrip
23rd Nov 2006, 22:51
Sorry - beautiful dog (aren't they all?) - time for me to resubmit the letter ....... click

www.check-flight.com (http://www.check-flight.com)

<<edit: just to address G-CPTN (later). You are 100% correct. Apologies for the thread creep, but I always jump at the change to get this message out to animal lovers in the hope that they will print it, mail it, forward it....anything.>>

gorgeous spotter
23rd Nov 2006, 22:57
Absolutely beautiful dog; don't think shes ready to go just yet. Looking at that picture has cheered me up, she is just adorable.:)

G-CPTN
23rd Nov 2006, 22:59
A red herring methinks Keygrip.

Gingernut's situation is TOTALLY different!

Fliegenmong
23rd Nov 2006, 23:01
Gone off its back legs???? - Have you tried feeding it tinned food?

Parents lost (put down) their dog in August, they still miss him

Nani
24th Nov 2006, 03:02
Hey gingernut,

Don't shoot your dog yet.;)

I have a 16 year old Border Collie who is in the same boat as your lovely hound.
First,I have changed his diet to BARF,took him for an Adequan injection series ( 2 months,twice a week). He was on Rymadil,didn't work well for him and changed it to Deramaxx. When he shows any sign of getting slower,he goes back for a Adequan follow-up shot.

He runs around like a pup again.:ok:

Hostie2201
24th Nov 2006, 11:08
Gingernut you have a very beautiful dog. She certainly doesn't look like she's ready to go yet. Keep talking to the vet to make sure her pain is monitered, don't give asprin or ibuprofen unless the vet has ok'd it. I know that both are very poisonous to cats.
You can only do your best, I have a 17 year old cat with failing eyesight and kidneys. I take each day as it comes and if for one minute thought she was in pain or distress would call it a day for her.
Its one of the biggest decisions a pet owner can make for their animal.

Tony Draper you are a star, I completely agree with you, when the day comes ask the vet for sedatives so they are as sleepy as possible and ask the vet to come to your house to put your animal to sleep. Taking them to the vets is distressing enough for them. I know when I have to make the decision over my pets I will choose this way.
Wishing your lovely dog all the best Gingernut.

aidanf
24th Nov 2006, 11:49
It's pretty much a year ago that I posted up a request here for help from you guys/gals about a very ill Sheltie (Sophie - a shetland sheepdog).

There's a fine line between doing what's best for you and what's best for the dog. I know that in our situation if we'd taken the initial veterinary advice on board we'd have lost 4 wonderful months with Sophie ... so it's worth persisting (things can come around, give you some more great memories, albeit temporarily)

Someone above mentioned that you'll know when it's time, and you will. At the moment you're not sure, so it's prob. not time just yet.

Best of luck ... it really is one of the hardest things you'll ever have to do .... even when you know you're doing the correct thing.

forget
24th Nov 2006, 11:55
Funniest thing I ever saw finger-painted on the back of a dirty white van................. A dog is for life - not just Saturday Night! :p

mooguy
24th Nov 2006, 12:40
From the photo you have shown. As someone else commented, the eyes arent hooded and there is no grey yet- if this photo is recent she still has some life to live!

I feel so sad reading this, because as this animal declines, you as the owner must do the right thing, its your responsibility. I 100% agree with the poster who wrote about the dog having sedatives, this way really is the best for your pet, it will end its time on this earth in peace and without fear or nevousness of the situation. It will be completely unaware, and you can be with it to the very end, if you feel ok about that. I had jack russell dogs as a child, one got poisened in a local farmers field, another died of old age, another we had to put down, its really hard, I sometimes still dream of Toby (my earliest Jack Rusell).......:{

gingernut
24th Nov 2006, 12:47
Thanks for the replies folks. I'm off to the vets on Monday to find out whether there's any further treatment for her.

Whilst trying to accept that I may be "in denial," I'm aware that, at the moment, the quality of her life isn't that bad (no signs of pain, she's eating well, and looks "happy,")

In a way, this is the frustrating bit, the rest of her body is in fine fettle, and I'm sure after years of bounding up and down Kinder Scout, her heart and lungs are in pretty good shape too. Its just her back half that's letting her down. I was even thinking of buying one of those cradle things, but I'm not sure if this is the way forward.

I'll keep you posted:)

Gainesy
24th Nov 2006, 13:23
Gingernut,
Don't use Ibruprofen, its bad for her liver. I did that a few months ago for a few days, pending taking my 13yr old lab to the vet who advised me of that fact then. She prescribed some tablets called RIMADYL which worked like a charm, he was bounding around as usual within about 36hrs. Oh and the tabs are the only ones I've seen that he'd just take, without the usual hide-it-in-a-bit-of-cheese malarky.

aidanf
24th Nov 2006, 13:46
Gingernut ... hopefully the following link will be of some use
http://www.wheelchairsfordogs.com/

Rossian
24th Nov 2006, 13:49
Gingernut. I've read this thread feeling a lot of remembered emotion and guilt. We faced this situation a year or two ago, and from where I'm typing I can see the two flourishing Viburnum bushes we planted over her. At this time of year as I smell the incredibly sweet scent of the bushes(they flower at this time of year) an image of the daftest, sweetest- natured bearded collie comes instantly to mind. Finally, however, it was a friend who faced me with the really hard question to answer honestly, "Who are you keeping this dog alive for? Her, or yourselves?"
At that point Madame and I agreed it was for us - really; and that she was suffering as a result but we couldn't see just how much, close up. The vet came out to the house, and I held her as she breathed her last. If only I'd known (or if the vet had thought a bit) I'd have gone the route of tranquilising her first as it would have been less of a physical struggle, which only added to both our distress.
I can't think of a sign-off line that wouldn't sound trite or wrong.
The Ancient Mariner

BombayDuck
24th Nov 2006, 14:11
not often i have tears in my eyes while reading JB. whatever decision you take, think it over but dont regret it. all the best to you and your dog.

BD

(RIP, Snowy, 1992-2005)

fcuk its hard to type like this

Charlie Foxtrot India
24th Nov 2006, 14:47
They usually let you know somehow when they're ready to go on ahead to the Rainbow Bridge. http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm

If they are off thier food that is usually the most obvious sign, and you can just see it in their eyes, saying "Can you manage without me now and let me go?"

Losing a dog in any way is awful, and the guilt you feel when you've had them put to sleep is excruciating, "What if, if only, etc etc..." even when it was the only thing to do.

You have to resign yourself to feeling grief, but you must put the Dog's needs before yours, even if it it difficult to tell the difference sometimes.

Good luck

Charlie Foxtrot India
26th Nov 2006, 13:50
So sorry.

Nothing anyone can say will make you feel better right now. It's OK to grieve for them, for as long as it takes.

Wino
26th Nov 2006, 15:51
It might be too late for it, but ask the question anyway, assuming you have the funds.

HIP REPLACEMENT SURGERY. In the US its becoming more common for Labradores because of the prevelance of Hip Displasia. I actually pulled the trigger on it for my chocolate lab. But here is the funny story. He was completely lame on one side and we knew it was a dodgy hip for a year or so I just assumed that was the source of the problem. We drove the dog 100 miles to the facility that specialized in the hip replacements (Brick, New Jersey is where its located) and the DR. looked at the dog as he limped in for his surgery and said "Its not his hip, he blew out his ACL (Same injury I have!) So we drugged the dog for a couple of weeks to keep him mostly off his feet and presto... Full recovery. He wasn't allowed to play with other dogs for 6 more months. And we are still waiting for the hip replacement surgery...

Unfortunately for you situation, its best to do these things early, because the dogs lose muscle mass as they fight the problem, making the recovery more difficult.

Thre is another surgery where they just cut the arthritic head off the bone, and the dog is in less pain and more mobile, (which seams counter intuitive to me, but it worked for a neighbors dog) and costs a lot less.

http://www.vsds.net/hip.php

Cheers
Wino

Nani
26th Nov 2006, 17:57
So sorry to hear your news SASKATOON9999.

You were your dog's best friend and remember him by all the great moments you have shared together. He will always be in your heart.

sled dog
26th Nov 2006, 19:50
Put your dogs condition first, not your own emotions. My first beautiful Siberian Husky had a similar condition, which was a form of Ostiaporosis of the spine. No treatment possible. My second Siberian had what was probably stomach cancer. No choice either time, but still very hard. Just remember the good times you spent with your dog and friend. Let us hope that there really is a " Rainbow Bridge ". Difficult to see the keyboard now.....

kissmysquirrel
26th Nov 2006, 20:07
So sorry to hear the bad news Saskatoon. Remember the good times, not the sad.

Bombay Duck pretty much sums it up!!!!

Beethoven
26th Nov 2006, 23:53
Been where you are now many times my friend. The best advice I can give is that you will know when it has to be done and you wont need to seek other's advice..only you know your dog. Do what you can if anything can be done but listen to your pal's vet and listen to your own heart. Than you can be sure that you did everything for your friend. My thoughts are with you.
Beet.

Beetlejuice
27th Nov 2006, 11:37
You have my deepest sympathies as I am in exactly the same situation.

My nine-year old German Shepherd has developed a condition called CDRM (Canine Degenerative Reticulo Myalopathy) which is similar to MS in humans, which destroys the linings of the nerves. (Apparently, many vets are not aware of the condition and confuse it with Dysplasia, etc) At least he is not in pain but one of his back legs is now competely useless and the other one is beginning to deteriorate. We have decided against a trolley and thought that we would do the deed when he can no longer go and do his business in the garden. He probably won't make it much past Christmas so I guess that is when he'll go to the great big field in the sky!

Again, my deepest sympathies. I guess it is the price we pay for having a dog around for a little while.

TBirdFrank
27th Nov 2006, 17:31
Every one of our dogs- one way or other is a rescue dog

They are great companions and, one way or another, add something special to coming home, days out, learning to accept young Leo etc etc

When their time comes as it undoubtedly will and they join Fay and Chess under the tree - one thing we will be able to say is that they have had a far nicer life - with all the friends that home, the girls on the stables, and each other provide - than they could ever have had if we had left them in some of the circumstances they came from.

Time to go home and get mobbed again I suppose - and Drapesy - you are so right about Jack Russells - Pep went from trainee alsation to squittering uncontrollable quivering wreck between Christmas and New Year last winter - but - thanks to my sister and hubby - vets - she's top of the walk again now!

The only problem we do have is when sister comes to call - Lancashire Heeler, Burly. smells vet and bolts under the sideboard only coming out when she's gone - and all she has ever done is make her better!

gingernut
27th Nov 2006, 21:34
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. Been to have a chat to the vet today, and he's suggested a few choices.

She's having a 4 week course of collagen injections, and a change in medication (I think it's a combination of analgesia/anti inflammatory).

I thought about the wheelchair device and the vet mentioned it, but I don't think its for her. I mentioned the big needle, but the vet's suggesting these measures first. I probably owe it to her to try these first.

She's had her first jab and dose of medicine today, so I'm going to be keeping an eye on things for the next month, and take it from there.

Nani
28th Nov 2006, 05:01
gingernut,

Adequan is an analgesia/anti inflammatory,although it may go by other names,did you asked him about Deramaxx by any chance? If you can,try to stay away from Rymadil since many dogs have shown severe adverse reactions.

Did your vet x-rayed his hips to see the extend of his wear and tear?

gingernut
28th Nov 2006, 09:05
Thanks Nani, she's tried Rymadil and also a medication which is help to promote cartilage growth. Unfortunately, they caused her to have an upset tum, so I stopped both. (So I'm not sure which one she is sensitive to.)

She's had a loading dose of "Metacalm" last night, and she'll be having her first maintenance dose tonight.

The vet did mention going down the surgical route- MRI scans, referral to a specialist centre, surgical intervention if indicated, but in view of her advancing years, he was unsure as to the eventual outcome.

Keygrip
11th Dec 2006, 03:59
Gingernut - how is she (and what's her name)?

Not that I'd forgotten about this thread - but my hound (Muttley) had a really bad day with his back legs today, and it certainly reminded me of your original question.

gingernut
21st Feb 2007, 21:31
Unfortunately had to call in the big needle last week.

Thanks for all the advice chaps, it really helped. Tony, the sedation was a great tip, but I had a bit of a muzzy head in the morning- (only jesting:} )

I know she was only a dog, but she was a great dog.

And here she (Sasha) is, in better times,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/gingernut123/sash.jpg

ginge

G-CPTN
21st Feb 2007, 21:45
In our thoughts on her way to doggy heaven.
You too (though maybe not the last bit, Ginge, probably too 'smelly' for a human).

Spinflight
21st Feb 2007, 22:43
I'm sorry to hear that Gingernut.

No such thing as only a dog, I miss my Lara more than any human I've ever known...

Howard Hughes
21st Feb 2007, 23:07
Missed this thread on the first run, just sitting here now faithfull Mutt by my side, tears welling in my eyes. In life I think we know no greater love, than the love of a dog for its master, they love us in spite of our faults and are faithful no matter what our moods, sometimes we could learn a lot from dogs.

Mrs Hughes and I got ours from the pound just over two years ago and if laughs were dollars, we would be millionaires many times over.

My thoughts are with you Gingernut, you made a difficult choice but one I am sure Sasha thanks you for. While it is always a sad time, I am sure the happy moments you gave each other will be cherished forever! Just remember there is no more pain in doggy heaven.

RIP Sasha.:{

ShyTorque
22nd Feb 2007, 00:07
Gingernut,

Sorry to hear the bad news. I had to take my old dog to the vet's for the last time almost 13 years ago. Almost the worst thing I ever had to do, especially as he was almost 16 years old, so my entire sympathy to you. I felt almost as if I was taking my first son to be put down.

My best advice is to get out there and find yourself another dog, asap. We recently got a rescue dog, 12 years is far too long a break. There is one out there that needs your companionship. :ok:

BombayDuck
22nd Feb 2007, 06:15
gingernut,

May she rest in peace.

Every time you think of her, think of the best times you had. And be glad that you were lucky to have her, and dont regret her passing away. That is the best way to honour her memory.

(And Sasha, say hello to Snowy when you meet him. On seconds thoughts, say Pisso! Ghara Vach! to him and run! :} )

gulfairs
22nd Feb 2007, 06:25
Give her COD LIVER OIL not the capsules but the real pongy stuff.
One Desertspoon a day over her food.
It will take about 6 to 8 weeks for some improvements.
I know because I have had atharitic pains and Cod liver oil fixed them, and that was about 7 years ago.
Its better than putting her down, and you might find that she perks up real well.
Good lick

BBG

henry crun
22nd Feb 2007, 06:59
bbg: I suggest you read post #44 again :ugh:

WorkingHard
22nd Feb 2007, 07:12
There is absolutely NO SUBSTITUTE for proper canine food. Your dog(s) will be happier and healthier if you feed that which is designed for dogs and not what is designed to attract the human owner. Open a tin of average dog food and leave it in the kitchen window for a day or so and then see if you want to give it to you beautiful animal. Feed a "complete" food and read very carefully the labels and consult with the breed clubs. You really will enjoy your beloved pets for a lot longer.

ultimatepro63
22nd Feb 2007, 09:31
Tripe is the most best thing you can feed your dog it is totally pure meat and is available from most pet shops i presume but make sure it isnt the tinned one try and get the frozen one. All the tinned dog food is virtually fat and packed with meat not suitable for human consumption i heard a while ago.

The cod liver oil tablets i hear is good for making their coat nice and shiny.

P.s- Gingernut i hope your over it now it is very hard letting a dog or any other pet go but you will get over it but just remember how great she was !

G-CPTN
22nd Feb 2007, 09:55
packed with meat not suitable for human consumption i heard
A bit of a difficulty with definition here. Meat which was destined for human consumption but, for whatever reason is 'contaminated' (it may only be that it has been dropped onto the floor for example or beyond 'best by' sell date) is diverted to pet-food manufacture. Agreed that some meat may be otherwise more heavily contaminated, but, in the wild, dogs will scavenge carcasses that the normal human would never dream of touching.

vectis lady
22nd Feb 2007, 11:32
Wasn't here for the thread the first time round, sat here at work crying into me coffee:(

When i was 12 we had to have my first ever pet put to sleep ( a v. fat rabbit called titch) & even now 10yrs later i still get upset & have a bit of a moment,

remember that you did the right thing & what was best for her, always think of her when she was fit & well

(nipping to the loo's now to regain composure)

parabellum
22nd Feb 2007, 12:07
Used to feed my dogs tripe and other stomach parts with biscuit. No use at all, shabby coats and lack luster behaviour. Tried tinned food and they picked up immediately.
Now have two young Bassets, raw chicken, boiled rice, one egg each and a biscuit called 'Smartcoat' or similar, endorsed by Dr. Harry. never seen better dogs.
Gingernut I really do feel for you. Bassets also suffer this back leg thing and I have seen at least two who had a few good years with their back end attached to a skate board, front end cut off etc. but still four wheels. Too late I fear.
Remember this:

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep
Then you must do what must be done
For this, the last battle, can’t be won.

You will be sad – I understand
Don’t let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day, more then all the rest,
Your love and friendship, stand the test.

We’ve had so many happy years
What is to come can hold no fears.
You’d not want to suffer so,
When the time comes, please let me go.

Wyler
22nd Feb 2007, 12:14
I have an English Springer and he is m best buddy. Dogs are fantastic animals and I could not imagine life without one.

I just find it a crying shame that we can provide the kind of care and consideration for our dogs that we cannot provide for, say, a family member. By that, I mean taking the decision to end the suffering and allow dignity in death. You can only let another human starve to death.

Flame Lily FX
22nd Feb 2007, 17:48
Gingernut - Sorry to hear about Sasha. Hope this helps a little.

http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

Not all heroes are human.

For all the animal lovers!

James Crane worked on the 101st floor of Tower 1 of the World Trade Centre. He is blind, so he has a golden retriever, named Daisy, as his guide dog. After the 'plane hit, 20 stories below, James knew that he was doomed, so, as an act of love, he let Daisy go. She darted away into the darkened hallway. Choking on the fumes of the jet fuel and the smoke, James prepared himself to die. However, about 30 minutes later, Daisy returned - with James's boss, who Daisy just happened to pick up on the 112th floor!!!!

On her first run of the building, she lead James, his boss, and about 300 other people out of the doomed building. But she wasn't through yet! She knew there were others who were trapped. So, highly against James' wishes, she ran back into the building!!!

On her second run, she saved 392 lives.

Again she went back in. During this run, the building collapsed. James heard about this, and fell to his knees, in tears. Against all odds, Daisy made it out again - alive! - but this time she was carried out in the arms of a fireman, who explained :" She led us right to the people before she got injured!"

Her final run saved another 273 lives that day.

She suffered acute smoke inhalation, severe burns to all four paws and a broken leg, but she had saved 967 lives!!!!

DAISY IS THE FIRST CIVILIAN CANINE TO WIN THE MEDAL OF HONOUR OF NEW YORK CITY.

mutt
22nd Feb 2007, 18:35
Gingernut,

I have tears in my eyes writing this..... looking at my 15 year old golden Lab, my best buddy, we have shared awesome times together, I dont ever want them to end....

Mutt

G-CPTN
22nd Feb 2007, 19:05
Why is it (or is it just me?) that apparently sane macho humans are reduced to tears by these stories of canine release? Yet similar stories about human suffering do not (at least in me) bring one to tears? I can talk quite sensibly about how my Father-in-Law succumbed to stomache cancer, and how I spent time with my deceased Father in his bedroom as he lay on the floor after the paramedics had (not surprisingly) failed to revive him following an aortic aneurysm.
Is it because we have no control over human life, yet are privileged to be able to choose when our faithful pets have had enough?

Flame Lily FX
22nd Feb 2007, 19:16
G-CPTN - Agape? Unconditional love?

God, I cried buckets when my Alsations died!

They're all still a great miss to this day.

Foss
22nd Feb 2007, 19:31
I think it's because they, the dog's, are always there.
You let them out in the morning, you make them something to eat, they steal whatever else they can. Then they follow you around all day. If you go out they wait for you, looking out the window. Then you walk them, make sure they don't get run over, chuck a toy around for bit inside and later put them to bed.
It's like having a toddler with a collar on. I think that's why people get so upset when their dogs die. They're like well loved children.

Fos

Flame Lily FX
22nd Feb 2007, 19:43
Foss....all my Alsations were working, guard dogs...who loved and protected me (not children)!

Back to Hogwarts, eh Foss!

G-CPTN
22nd Feb 2007, 19:49
In which case, Flame Lily, unless you have already SEEN this, you might raise your spirits with THIS:- http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=7841/postdays=0/postorder=asc/highlight=stumpy/start=0.html

An edited transcript (edited only to exclude comments from others, not to alter the descriptive language used) is available on request in ,txt and .doc format. PM me your e-mail addie (I can't add attachments to your PPRuNe email contact address).

Nani
22nd Feb 2007, 20:30
I'm sorry to hear about your Sasha,gingernut.

Beaver man
22nd Feb 2007, 20:48
Gingernut, so very sorry to hear the news. Suffered the same five years ago when Charlie had to be put to sleep.Yes, it really hurts, and don't be surprised to see him/her out of the corner of your eye or hear him/her sigh contentedly late at night. She'll let you know when to get another mutt! It was a year to the day after losing Charlie that we found Zak at the local rescue centre!! He's now a big, black five and a half year old lab cross puppy!! All the best
Beav

Foss
22nd Feb 2007, 21:07
Flame lily
Back to Hogwarts, eh Foss!
Don't quite get that one.:confused:
Fos

BombayDuck
23rd Feb 2007, 05:33
Why is it (or is it just me?) that apparently sane macho humans are reduced to tears by these stories of canine release?

Its not just you, el capitaine, I assure you with tears in my eyes as I type this.

Flame Lily FX
23rd Feb 2007, 12:39
Hi G-CPTN - That link is a great read. Thanks for the :-)!On a lighter note too, I've had so many blind dates they should give me a free dog! :-)