PDA

View Full Version : Just give it a tug......

ORAC
23rd Nov 2006, 15:09
http://vne-resource.iol.co.za/30/picdb/b/f/96514

Motoring.sa: (http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=3558558&fSectionId=751&fSetId=381)London England - Engineers, Volkswagen personnel and bemused passers-by watched open-mouthed as a VW Touareg V10 TDI towed a 155-ton Boeing 747 down the auxiliary runway at Dunsfold airport, 60km south-west of London not once but seven times.

The vehicle was a standard production Touareg fitted with a special towing adaptor to connect it with the aircraft towing link and loaded with 4345kg of metal ballast to bring its total weight to 7030kg including the driver, an engineer from the technical department at VW's headquarters in Germany.

The car's engine, self-levelling air suspension, wheels, tyres and structure were all standard, but the outer body panels were changed so this example was visually the same as the next-generation Touareg, due to be launched in 2007. One precaution that turned out to be unnecessary was the fitting of the 4.56 axle ratio from the Touareg V8 in place of the 3.27 gearing of the V10 scond gear was used for the tow, rather than first!

A theoretical towing capability in excess of 200 tons was calculated by multiplying the V10 TDI's 750NM of torque through the standard transmission's lowest ratio, without taking into account the torque multiplication benefits of the torque converter but assuming a dry surface and loading the Touareg's body and suspension well in excess of its rated limits.

The aircraft was an ex-British Airways Boeing 747-200, complete 500 seats, 11 toilets and complete landing gear, without engines or brakes but with 28 tons of water ballast in the fuel and nose tanks.

Conditions for the two were far from perfect with a strong headwind and heavy rain, prompting concerns over traction on the wet surface. The Touareg's engine was warmed up, the tyres were checked, the adapted towing bracket was hooked up to the nose wheel collar of the Boeing and the chocks were removed.

Driver Uwe Krieghoff selected "drive" and the low ratio, second gear setting on the Touareg's six-speed gearbox, pressing the accelerator about halfway down to overcome the additional resistance due to flat spots on the 18 tyres formed under the aircraft's 155 tons, easing off as it gained momentum. The Touareg began dragging the 109m airframe along the runway, maintaining an even 8km/h; after about 150m Krieghoff eased off the throttle and gently braked to slow both vehicle and aircraft to a stop.

He said afterwards: "I was a bit disappointed we couldn't find something heavier to tow it was too easy! If anyone can lend us a heavier aeroplane, please let us know."

The Touareg was checked after the repeated runs and no ill effects from the demands made on the engine and transmission could be found. The engine temperature remained normal, as did the transmission - and the tyres survived without a hint of the forces passed through them.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
23rd Nov 2006, 17:01
So it's the perfect woman's car...

...they could drive it all day with the handbrake on :ok:

Hostie2201
23rd Nov 2006, 17:12
Oi oi easy we are not all bad drivers and I would'nt be seen dead driving one of those :p

bear11
23rd Nov 2006, 17:13
Typical - you drive it in normal conditions and it falls apart due to crappy build quality and loads of tech issues, but tow a 747 with it and it won't break a sweat. Now I know what a V10 TDI Toerag is for.

ORAC
23rd Nov 2006, 17:16
It's one hell of a caravan though, init?

Suppose you'd have stick a number plate on the back with some brake lights and turn the wingtip lights into indicators.......

kissmysquirrel
23rd Nov 2006, 17:52
...and during test s before production they had to limit the torque output from the engines in the Touareg as initially it was ripping the engine from the mounts. One seriously powerful V10 Diesel. Can't beat a diesel!!!
ps, anyone interested in buying one should look into the serious tyre wear experienced. New set of tyres every 10k miles on some!!! Ouch:*

Howard Hughes
23rd Nov 2006, 18:11
Of course they failed to do the real test, which would incude backing it into a camp site somewhere in Cornwal...;)

Two's in
23rd Nov 2006, 18:30
For heavens sake don't let the Greens get hold of this picture - a Chelsea Tractor and a troposhere destroying Jumbo, all in the same shot.

G-CPTN
23rd Nov 2006, 19:25
As an erstwhile Vehicle Test and Development Engineer (including heavy vehicles) I have to admit to being well-impressed. There are so many components within the drive-train that have to carry the stresses of such a load that any one of them failing would have ended the 'stunt'. And that's WITHOUT having 4.5 tonnes of dead-weight added to the 'prime mover'. The suspension, albeit air-assisted, must be impressively over-designed (even giving the flat surface and low-speed of the exercise).
Well done VW (and, NO, I didn't work for them . . . )

CapSizer
23rd Nov 2006, 20:00
Isn't this the B747 that was modified for a movie with twin fake engines (B52-style) on the inboard pylons and "drop" tanks on the outboard pylons?

tony draper
23rd Nov 2006, 20:40
Bah! seen a bloke towing a Passenger Jet once,admitedly not one of they 747s,twer 737 one thinks but one is not up on airyplanes,not civy ones anyway,twer in that world strongest man competitions one thinks, although one could be wrong there as well,but twer definatly on the telly, just getting them started seems to be the trick then they trundle along just fine.
:rolleyes:

Bartender
23rd Nov 2006, 20:48
Looks like the jumbo seen sometimes in the background on Top Gear. Any ideas if this was done by them? I thought that was where they filmed it too...

kissmysquirrel
23rd Nov 2006, 22:08
Looks suspiciously like it doesnt it! Look out for new series of Top Gear?

Bartender
23rd Nov 2006, 22:47

Thinking about it though, it's more likley to be an advert for the new Touareg.

- The new body panels (I doubt Top Gear would be reviewing the old car just with new panels)

- The Touareg logo on the front of the aircraft.

Either way, it seems like something to look out for on our screens next year possibly.

G-CPTN
23rd Nov 2006, 22:53
The B747 IS in fact the same one that appears in the background of Top Gear, and also the one 'modified' (with 'B52' type engine pods for the recent Bond film - see the smaller image on the website referred-to above). The B747 doesn't belong to the BBC (nor does Dunsford - they merely film there).

http://vne-resource.iol.co.za/30/picdb/article0/a/1/96513

IMO definitely a VW promotion, not a BBC stunt.

eal401
24th Nov 2006, 06:52
Of course they failed to do the real test, which would incude backing it into a camp site somewhere in Cornwal...
Don't you mean "double parking in a city centre a quarter of a mile from the owner's residence?" :E

The 747 was used in the new James Bond film.

toothpic
24th Nov 2006, 08:53

Top gear would have used a Rocket car and flipped the Jumbo onto the grass.................

gets hat :ooh:

Mr Lexx
24th Nov 2006, 09:05
VW will have trouble denying warrenty claims on their gearboxes and suspension now........might cost them in the long run. I can see those pics and write up appearing in court papers!

Mr Lexx
24th Nov 2006, 09:14
Suppose you'd have stick a number plate on the back with some brake lights and turn the wingtip lights into indicators.......

Of course they failed to do the real test, which would incude backing it into a camp site somewhere in Cornwal...;)

At least the pikeys would have a tough time nicking it.......

ShyTorque
24th Nov 2006, 10:32
It didn't pass the ultimate test for service round these parts - parking it halfway up the pavement...

Capt.KAOS
24th Nov 2006, 10:51
I owned a V10TDi Touareg for 10 months. The engine was incredible, the best I ever had, pulling away from everything except Porsches at speeds of 140 mph+ even at a weight of over 4000 lbs. Didn't even notice the horse trailer with 2 horses in it. Interior and finish was superb.

Unfortunately, with a heavy heart, I had to say goodbye to the beast. Massive quality problems brought the mastodont on its knees. It had been parked in the dealers garage for more than 2 of the 10 months.

Still, having fond memories of destroying the pavement driving away..

Creaser
24th Nov 2006, 11:17
How long do a crew need to power up and check 4 of Rolls Royces finest before take off? Can prefight checks of aircraft sytems be done without powering up main engines?

Use a proper push back truck for the trickey manovering around the terminal and swap to something cheaper for the less complicated tow down the taxiway... start main engines in good time before line up.

A fleet of these VWs or something like them, towing aircraft to the runway could pay for themselves by reduced fuel burn?

Cost of fuel and engine time during taxi at a typically congested airport?
Something to appease the greens....
Creaser

cwatters
24th Nov 2006, 12:22
With the mods it makes you wonder why they didn't just fake the lot. They can't claim to have used a standard production car for the test. Why didn't they just film a plane and superimpose a production car and tow rig later? I guess we'll have to look for "modified Toureg" in the small print on TV.

Rocket2
24th Nov 2006, 12:34
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o155/Rocket2Q/747.jpg

Mr Lexx
24th Nov 2006, 12:36
With the mods it makes you wonder why they didn't just fake the lot. They can't claim to have used a standard production car for the test. Why didn't they just film a plane and superimpose a production car and tow rig later? I guess we'll have to look for "modified Toureg" in the small print on TV.

can you not read?

The vehicle was a standard production Touareg fitted with a special towing adaptor to connect it with the aircraft towing link and loaded with 4345kg of metal ballast to bring its total weight to 7030kg including the driver, an engineer from the technical department at VW's headquarters in Germany.

The car's engine, self-levelling air suspension, wheels, tyres and structure were all standard

Where did you read that it was heavilly modified?

SyllogismCheck
24th Nov 2006, 12:51
loaded with 4345kg of metal ballast to bring its total weight to 7030kgSo that Volkswagen weighs in at around 2.6tons as standard. That's quite a feat of engineering excess!
Not heavily modified, but just plain heavy for sure.

Mr Lexx
24th Nov 2006, 13:44
When you put your shopping in the boot of your car, do you call that modifying it? :ugh:

Tonkatoy
24th Nov 2006, 13:58
Now now Mr Lexx, lets not be giving Insurance Companies any ideas please...

SyllogismCheck
24th Nov 2006, 14:01
Er, no I don't, and neither was I suggesting the four and a half odd tons they threw in constituted modifications.
On noticing the numbers quoted I was just amazed at what an incredibly lardy lump it is in the first place, zat iz all.

green granite
24th Nov 2006, 15:27
another view I've deliberately left it large http://www.autoblog.com/media/2006/11/221106-c-vw.jpg view

GBALU53
24th Nov 2006, 18:21
Now to change the clutch??

hobie
24th Nov 2006, 18:38
I wonder if it's the same $$$$$ $$$$ that approaches me with its offside wheels a foot and a half over a solid white line most days of the week ? .... :8

The late XV105
24th Nov 2006, 18:38
Just a guess: Noticing it was done at Dunsfold, I wonder if it is a marketing stunt for a Christmas episode of Top Gear? ie equivalent to the "Ford sponsored" events of programmes prior. Still impressive though, none the less!

Bigt
24th Nov 2006, 20:07
What sort of HP are the tugs used at airports producing?

Dan Air 87
24th Nov 2006, 20:13
I have two comments on this:

1. So, cheaper tugs are on the way then so there is hope for my Mini Metro!
2. I hate it when I get stuck behind a VW towing a caravan!

TUGNBAR
24th Nov 2006, 20:46
Like to see them try it with a fully loaded one............

runawayedge
24th Nov 2006, 21:11
It only takes one toerag....!

G-CPTN
24th Nov 2006, 21:50
What sort of HP are the tugs used at airports producing?
It says 265HP:- http://www.pro-4-pro.com/en/Aviation/Company-7313341/44ed54002199b.html

A conventional, four-wheel drive and four-wheel steer tractor for all wide-body aircraft presently in service. Equipped with fully automatic transmission. SCHOPF´s heaviest tractor class is the best-selling type and the world-market leader. The F396 E is capable to perform all pushbacks and towing distances for the economical solution of the apron operation.
Technical Data

* aircraft range: up to 400,000 (600,000) kg A/C weight
* operating weights: 45,000, 50,000, 55,000, 60,000 kg
* draw bar pull installed: 370 kN (83,146 lbs)
* engine power: 195 kW (265 HP)

(The clue to the success of the Tuareg is the automatic transmission with torque-converter.
Sustained use would overheat the transmission fluid (of a standard vehicle installation).
A torque converter is equivalent to a slipping clutch, but the hydraulic fluid is the medium absorbing the 'slip'.
I'm still impressed by the durability (or at least the ability) of the mechanical components downstream to cope.)

ChrisVJ
24th Nov 2006, 23:20
Is this engine the diesel V10 twin turbo all aluminium putting out 260hp? I just can't understand why no-one is trying it out for Aircraft use. Looks better on paper than the actual aircraft diesels.

G-CPTN
24th Nov 2006, 23:29
The HORSEPOWER isn't the significant figure here, but the TORQUE.
The V10 delivers 553 lbs.ft / 750 Nm @ 2000 RPM.
A veritable stump-puller!

And that's BEFORE the torque-multiplication of the 'fluid flywheel'.

Typical torque multiplication ranges from 1.8 to 2.5:1 for most automotive applications, up to 5.0:1 or more for static industrial applications or heavy maritime propulsion systems.

mini
25th Nov 2006, 00:17
My Shiraz deflected fag box calculations tell me that it would need a flywheel to contact point gearing ratio of about 9:1 to achieve this - quite possible.

The fact that they could pile 4300kgs onto it and it survived is bloody impressive in itself.

If only they could make them reliable... :sad: