PDA

View Full Version : False rumour about VS glide approach. (original in JB)

redfred
22nd Nov 2006, 10:18
Is it true that on FRI of last week 17th NOV the VS flight MIALHR had a double engine failure and had to glide into JFK?

Brian Fantana
22nd Nov 2006, 10:23
As far as I am aware all virgin a/c have 4 engines so if 2 did fail it still would have 2 remaining and wouldnt become a glider!!

scroggs
22nd Nov 2006, 11:58
Is it true that on FRI of last week 17th NOV the VS flight MIALHR had a double engine failure and had to glide into JFK?

No, it is not true. Do you not think that a four-engined aeroplane full of passengers losing all four engines and having to make an unpowered landing would have been headline news in every single newspaper and on every television station - worldwide? To my knowledge, no four-engined public transport aircraft has ever had to make an unpowered landing. That's one of the reasons that Virgin Atlantic does not (currently) use aircraft with less than four engines, and that's why it would be major news - which you could not possibly have missed.

Tell your 'girl' she's talking rubbish - and tell yourself not to be so gullible.

Scroggs

James 1077
22nd Nov 2006, 13:09
To be fair a colleague of mine was on this flight and it did divert to JFK due to engine failure (I know this as I have just drafted her letter of complaint for the 10 hour wait she had at JFK without food / drink).

No idea of how many engines failed though!

22N114E
22nd Nov 2006, 13:37
They did lose an engine during the weekend.

VS201 returned to HKG in the wee hours of Monday morning. When queried by ATC as to why the engine was shutdown, the somewhat shaken voice replied that the number 4 had "sparks" from it. Fuel dump was expected to last 50 minutes.

fast cruiser
22nd Nov 2006, 13:42
MIA-LHR diverted to JFK due to Engine Fire warning problems, not sure if it was an eng fire, failure or just precationary shutdown as Loop a and b had both failed, but either way crew did the right thing and no-one was hurt..Hope that sorts out the C@@P about multiple eng failure, glide into JFK and any other fantasy story..

cheers

FC

crewrest
22nd Nov 2006, 16:28
Well said Scroggs, what a load of utter tosh.

Redfred, your 'girl' doesn't know what she's talking about.

quitefrequentflyer
22nd Nov 2006, 22:26
Why did they not '''''''feed'''''''''' us on VS006 last Friday, especially as the ''el-capitan'' had already plotted his diversion for JFK some 20 minutes after takeoff, as I noted we made a left turn, so being intriged I switched on the moving map display in front of me, and it was showing our destination as JFK, which was over 900 miles away? :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

And we were then still some 2 hours away from the airport and sky high at 35,000 feet.

He knew about it then so why did he not tell the pax at the time?

Was he hoping the problem would resolve itself and he could thus alter course back to original before getting close to New York?

Not exactly customer orientated, are Virgin Atlantic, are they ? :=

A famished load of pax is not as happy as one properly fed and watered, as evidenced by the utter shambles that took place in the terminal after landing.:* :* :*

As for the 20something dumb blonde bimbo pax who appointed herself as the whinger-in-chief, well, no human being on this earth should have to endure such a torturous experience, not even shambolic VS staff:= That tirade was quite outside the rules of the Geneva Convention. A complete embarrassment to everything British :( The sort of person who should never be allowed to have a passport :mad:

mini
22nd Nov 2006, 23:00
This thread started about a rumoured shut down, in an exceptional break from the norm the PIC posted to rubbish the rumour. I would have thought that that would have been the end of it.

To see it continuing on desperate tangents makes me realise just what Danny is on about when he talks about a pro only forum.