PDA

View Full Version : Human design flaws

Re-entry
22nd Nov 2006, 14:59
OK. So we are smarter than animals and we farm and we build cities and we build machines, and we can speak.
But two big flaws:-
-We must constantly eat and drink, or get sick and ultimately die.
-It is recognised that the best environment for raising our offspring is a stable family environment, whilst the male instinct is to have sex on an opportune basis as often as possible with as many females as possible.

eden47
22nd Nov 2006, 15:03
If you look at a pride of lions, for example, that safe family unit is provided in the main by the females. The male lions are still free to sow their wild oats.

Maybe this is the example we humans should follow?

XXTSGR
22nd Nov 2006, 15:08
eden - it's an example that some follow already! :}

Gainesy
22nd Nov 2006, 16:20
Well, the designers got the nose right. If it was put on t'other way up you'd drown when it rained.

MyData
22nd Nov 2006, 16:23
and ultimately die

Perhaps a design flaw for the individual, but an absolute must for the species. Very clever thinking this cell degeneration leading ultimately to death.

That Mr Darwin was a very perceptive chap...

Jerricho
22nd Nov 2006, 16:29
Yeah, my penis is way too big. :(

nosefirsteverytime
22nd Nov 2006, 16:53
Bloody hell, I'm sure getting a lot of mileage from these engineering jokes.....

bunch of engineers are sitting around at a party, discussing the nature of the God, and who designed women.

The mechanical engineer states that God must also be a mechanical engineer because "if you look at all the pulleys and levers that drive the body, how the tendons and muscles and bones all work together, well, it's just amazing."

The chemical engineer says that no, God has to be a chemical engineer because "if you look at all the chemical processes that drive the body, how the hormones and the brain and the glands and everything else all interact, well, it's just astounding."

The electrical engineer says that no, God has to be an electrical engineer because "if you look at the circuitry of the body, how the thousands upon millions of nerve cells transmit signals from one part to another, well, it boggles the mind."

The civil engineer speaks up last of all and says, no, God is definitely a civil engineer, because "only a civil engineer would run a sewer through a prime recreational area."

Dr Jekyll
22nd Nov 2006, 16:56
We need a third hand, some way of closing our ears, and a way of locking our knees and spine so we can relax standing up.
It would also be useful to have an optical zoom function, a built in clock and rearwards vision.
As Woody Allen said, God might not be evil, but he's certainly an underachiever.

dontpickit
22nd Nov 2006, 19:11
Think it was Henry Ford who said the fundamental human design flaw was that the ignition was too close to the exhaust.

stagger
22nd Nov 2006, 19:26
Design flaw...

Very easy to develop a fear/phobia of things such as snakes and spiders which are not likely to do you any harm.

Very hard to develop a fear/phobia of guns, cigarettes, and cars which are much more likely to do you harm.

G-CPTN
22nd Nov 2006, 20:02
Some creatures require generations of conditioning before a reflex response can be cultivated.
Guns, cigarettes and motor cars are but modern inventions.

In centuries past, more humans were harmed by snakes and spiders than by guns, cigarettes or motor cars, so your basic assumption is false.

gorgeous spotter
22nd Nov 2006, 20:18
OK. So we are smarter than animals and we farm and we build cities and we build machines, and we can speak.
But two big flaws:-
-We must constantly eat and drink, or get sick and ultimately die.
-It is recognised that the best environment for raising our offspring is a stable family environment, whilst the male instinct is to have sex on an opportune basis as often as possible with as many females as possible.

Ok, so on the basis of what you say, every man thinks about sex all the time and is willing to have sex on a regular basis with other females regardless of whether they are in relationships, married or not? What about self control? Isnt it possible for the male to just stop for a second, think I'm being a bit of a cave man here and just have a teeny tiny
fantasy about that person, rather than actually trying to get it on with them? Can you imagine ladies, if we propositioned every man we found desirable that we passed on the street; wouldn't the men have something to SAY about that??!!! Wouldn't we be called 'cheap ladies' or something similar??? We women are much much smarter than that! - and we certainly wouldn't be admitting our primary instincts now would we??

stagger
22nd Nov 2006, 20:31
G-CPTN - errrrr I think you've misunderstood what I was saying.

As a consequence of our evolutionary history modern humans are able to develop fears of things like snakes and spiders very easily (dangers that ancestral humans would have faced). Such a fears are sometimes called "prepared fears". We are born prepared to learn to fear these things.

But, as you say, because guns, cars, and cigarettes are recent inventions we have not had a chance to evolve a predisposition to fear them. We are unprepared.

This lack of preparedness is what I am saying is a "design flaw."

Many generations of exposure to gun, cigarette, and car dangers would be required for humans to evolved a predisposition to fear them. You were on the right track when you suggested "generations of conditioning" but slightly off the mark - the results of conditioning cannot be inherited. It's actually generations of selection that are important. Quite simply people who happen to be fearful of modern sources of danger will likely leave more descendants who will likely inherit that fearfulness. Individuals who lack the fear are selected out.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
22nd Nov 2006, 20:50
Your discussion about snakes is incorrect. Not only am I afraid of them, I'm ALSO afraid of Ladders!

It is recognised that the best environment for raising our offspring is a stable family environmentSays whom? I think that's one of the biggest myths ever purportrated upon us. Family units exist mostly for the sharing and protection of property.

brickhistory
22nd Nov 2006, 21:00
I'd nominate the ability for multiple 'goes' for one gender and the 'single shot' (unless you're still 17!) capability of the other.

I think God has a sense of humo(u)r....

G-CPTN
22nd Nov 2006, 21:03
I think I'd probably agree with you that some form of commune or kibbutz (where multiple 'generations' of females are available to teach and learn childcare - the extended family of old with relations living in close proximity if not under the same roof) would be superior. How many mothers today have had experience of looking after babies before they are required to tend to their own? Crazy!

It might sound chauvinistic, but let the women get on with what they do much better than men - look after the offspring. The lack of a father figure is a fallacy, as in generations gone by there would have been a formidable matriarch whom all would have feared. I've seen family photographs and heard stories of these women (some of whom combined their position with running a business such as a shop or sewing/tailoring activity).

The men turned-over their wages and the women 'managed' the household (even in the higher class circles, though there may well have been servants to 'help' - ie to do as they were told).

Edited to say that the contribution suggesting that the traditional modern family unit WASN'T the best medium to raise children appears to have been withdrawn.

HowlingWind
22nd Nov 2006, 22:28
G-CPTN: The old African proverb "It takes a village to raise a child" has a ring of wisdom about it. (Pity the saying was later trivialised by a book of the same name by Hillary Clinton.) :rolleyes:

From gorgeous spotter:
Ok, so on the basis of what you say, every man thinks about sex all the time and is willing to have sex on a regular basis with other females regardless of whether they are in relationships, married or not? What about self control? Isnt it possible for the male to just stop for a second, think I'm being a bit of a cave man here and just have a teeny tiny fantasy about that person, rather than actually trying to get it on with them? In some environments I have been exposed to the answer seems to have been a firm "no". More so amongst the younger ones, but there seems to be a significant population of older alpha males who seem to share this genetic impulse with little or no inhibition. At least when they think they can get away with it...

Can you imagine ladies, if we propositioned every man we found desirable that we passed on the street; wouldn't the men have something to SAY about that??!!! Wouldn't we be called 'cheap ladies' or something similar??? We women are much much smarter than that! - and we certainly wouldn't be admitting our primary instincts now would we??Has Madam ever heard of what the feministas lament as the "double standard"?

G-CPTN
22nd Nov 2006, 22:53
I have remained ever faithful throughout my marriage for two simple reasons. I LOVED my wife above all others, and I realised that there was too much to lose should I be tempted (to be fair, should I be 'found out' but it amounted to the same thing).
Of course I've been attracted to other women, both real and fantasies, but I was content (and happy) with what I already had. I saw colleagues enter the slippery slope, and whilst some survived others crashed and burned (at great expense to themselves AND their family). How serial philanderers afforded this lifestyle I never did discover. I had a few close female friends at work, but never did we cross the line into danger (one particular female, much younger than me would kiss me when we parted - she lived in Germany - but I'm sure it was more as a father figure that she thought of me than as a sexual partner, the kisses were never passionate).
Am I unusual?

con-pilot
22nd Nov 2006, 23:05
Am I unusual?

Not as far as I am concerned.

(Of course the occasional threesome does help keep things spic..................ow, ouch, OKAY, OKAY Dear stop hitting me. I lied, I lied! :p )

Actually my reply to the question posed on this thread: 'Who would you like to date?', would have been, "My Wife.", but I figured that would be too corny.

tony draper
22nd Nov 2006, 23:26
The basic flaw is not in the design but in the subsequent artificial modification,anti biotics surgery pace makers,splints on brocken legs ect ect most human beings walk around in machines that are long past their design expiry date, Male human bodies are designed to last thirty years at most,long enough to win fair maid to sire the next generation,protect her and her cubs from the sabre tooth and the cave bear,until such time as said cubs are old enough to do a bit sireing themselves, then we are supposed to have the decency to expire, the Ladies bless em are built to last a tad longer as they can still function as cub minders fior a few more years whilst mommy goes gathering nuts and berries.
Small wonder we codgers ache and pain every morning when we arise and wax grumpy, we are not supposed to arise that many times
:rolleyes:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
22nd Nov 2006, 23:31
Edited to say that the contribution suggesting that the traditional modern family unit WASN'T the best medium to raise children appears to have been withdrawn.Not mine. It's still there and I stand by it.

Con, I was also going to say my wife, but because of the euphoria that is falling in love. Sure it morphs into something much more substantial, but there;s nothing quite like that all too short period where they are the only thing you can think about :(

Blacksheep
22nd Nov 2006, 23:52
Ok, so on the basis of what you say, every man thinks about sex all the time and is willing to have sex on a regular basis with other females regardless of whether they are in relationships, married or not?Its a 'man' thing. Learn to live with it. We have to... :rolleyes:

On the other hand - ladies are programmed to ensure that for most men, it stops at thinking about it. Its a girl thing. We men learn to live with that too. :(

...eventually.

Farrell
23rd Nov 2006, 00:49
This thread got me thinking....

If your knees were on backwards; what would chairs look like?

arcniz
23rd Nov 2006, 02:25
By now most here will appreciate that I was raised by a pack of wolves... actually several packs... since the territory was rather thin for prey and packs tended to move through at a pretty rapid clip, but through it I clung to my comfortable and secure hollow tree, full of the tastiest grubs one could find anywhere, until the teen years came. Then I did roam enough to appreciate how fine it could be, on a draughty night, to settle in at a favorite comfy spot and enjoy one's grubs with a familier friend.

Since then, I have always thought the purpose, and the great value, of having a steady mate or companion is that she will tend to drive off the other prospective competing females before they can cause too much trouble. One COULD elect to subvert that process by sneaking outside the circle of vision... (down wind, of course) but that takes planning and work and the marvelous noses on the female species seem able to detect quite a bit of history from one's bearing and the smell of one's ruff. Better to put those noses to friendlier use and focus on the *itch one has learned to recognise and slightly understand. Through trial and error I discovered that by simply being nice to my favorite furry one rather frequently, the whole downwind issue seemed to lose importance and weight. The straight-up straight-in approach was appreciated by herself, and we prospered with it for many seasons.

Loose rivets
23rd Nov 2006, 03:22
Not as far as I am concerned.
(Of course the occasional threesome does help keep things spic..................ow, ouch, OKAY, OKAY Dear stop hitting me. I lied, I lied! :p )
Actually my reply to the question posed on this thread: 'Who would you like to date?', would have been, "My Wife.", but I figured that would be too corny.

I was told by the head of aviation medicine that I was unusual to still be married to my first wife -- and that was 26 years ago.

Yep, who would you date? Same one.

It's just a pity that she likes to be on the opposite side of the Atlantic to me... edit cos I'm a coward.

Blacksheep
23rd Nov 2006, 03:48
Some cultures accommodate the male desire for numerous partners.
One of the locals asked me what happened to my first wife.
He was astonished at my reply - "Nothing. I'm still married to her."
"Oh? You have two wives? I thought Englishmen only took one"...

True.

Cross cultural communication. I love it.

Then there's my old friend Abdul Rahman, who has two wives. "I don't know why," he said "One is one too many." He has three houses. Wife No. 1 lives in one house, No. 2 lives in another. He lives in the third house.

frostbite
23rd Nov 2006, 12:21
If you want to keep newly-wedded wife on her toes, always introduce her as 'this is my first wife'.

Grainger
23rd Nov 2006, 13:28
do you know anything about women, frostbite ? - or saddled with a perverse death-wish perhaps ?

Sounds like a guaranteed way of getting it in the knackers :ooh:

HowlingWind
23rd Nov 2006, 14:00
Agreed, Grainger, seems like risky business to me...

That said, one has been known to introduce one's mate's better half as "my mate's first wife." :E

G-CPTN
23rd Nov 2006, 15:41
Musing as I wandered through the village today I pondered the idea that females, once selected by the male, should be 'programmed' to be devoted dedicated spouses (for as long as the man should so desire, that is).
Would cut out a lot of this behaviour where women decide they could do better elsewhere.
On the other hand, there COULD be a 'clause' whereby an alpha male could over-ride the . . .
Nah! That was tried in the Stone Age . . .

"Do as I say, BITCH!" doesn't seem to work these days . . .

Where did MANkind go wrong? :confused:

Re-entry
23rd Nov 2006, 16:10
Hey, georgous spotter, what's you're number?

ORAC
23rd Nov 2006, 16:33
Then there's my old friend Abdul Rahman, who has two wives. "I don't know why," he said "One is one too many." He has three houses. Wife No. 1 lives in one house, No. 2 lives in another. He lives in the third house. "Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same." Oscar Wilde

Re-entry
23rd Nov 2006, 18:33
Where did MANkind go wrong?
The 'feminists' screwed it up. They were ugly women trying to justify their existence by loud media transmissions. It couldn't and didn't last, but it had a legacy, mis-defining the male/female roles and it has caused many of the societal problems endemic in western countries today.

click
23rd Nov 2006, 20:26
They were ugly women
Beg to differ, there is no such thing as an ugly woman....there is however a distinct lack of alcohol at certain times:}

arcniz
23rd Nov 2006, 20:38
It's just a pity that she likes to be on the opposite side of the Atlantic to me... edit cos I'm a coward.
Last edited by Loose rivets : Today at 07:02.

Amazing what a drop in B.A. will do for nuancing the analysis. Good choice. Forcible Nacho-ectomy is not as appealing as some might think.

gorgeous spotter
23rd Nov 2006, 22:12
Hey, georgous spotter, what's you're number?

Why? You're not an Eric Bana look alike are you???!!:} :) :)

Blacksheep
24th Nov 2006, 00:42
"Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same." Oscar WildeAh yes, but Oscar was Oscar... ;)

We share our roof with a hostie who isn't attracted by boys. Her best friends are a couple of male cabin crew who don't particularly like girls.
They sit at the bar in our living room and get on like a house on fire.
How does this work?
'Cos it definitely does.

This world of ours is so very, very fascinating don't you think? Maybe the the 'design flaws' were designed to make it so much more interesting?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
24th Nov 2006, 00:56
How come men have a scrotum? I mean I know sperm has to be kept cool, but that's a design flaw right there. Why not make it survive body temperature and them put the testicles where ovaries go an a ...erm...woman?

That'd make more sense to me and it'd mean nobody could kick you in the bollocks when you went down the pub :ok:

Blacksheep
24th Nov 2006, 01:04
But it would also make them harder to fondle... :suspect:

G-CPTN
24th Nov 2006, 01:21
I believe that in times of stress, said gonads may be 'lifted' and, it is not impossible for them to be returned within the body cavity (except in cases of Macroorchidism).

jumpuFOKKERjump
24th Nov 2006, 02:55
Where did MANkind go wrong? I'm not sure the human body has much in the way of design flaws at all, it is just we are no longer using our bodies in the manner evolution optimised them for. Back when times were hard and regular meals, erm, not particularly regular, if the tribe came across a migration of moths or dead Diproton they would sit down and eat until they looked like a shabby group of US tourists. Plenty of condition to last out a period on short rations. The same reflex has the modern day tribe march under the golden arches and eat with both hands three times a day until something breaks.

As to monogomy, I have read about the bonobo (chimp-like) who form monogamus relationships. As observed above they are good for stability & raising kiddies. But both parties in the 'relationship' root around frantically on the side as well, the females even visiting other bands for a quick gang-bang. If we were to be true to our heritage we should form solid & reliable relationships for our home life, and then root anything else we can get the knickers off. The corollary is we should (for family harmony) pretend not to notice when some of one's alleged progeny do not seem to display replicas of features you see in the mirror, including the inexplicable Chinese cast to the features of #2 daughter...How come men have a scrotum? I mean I know sperm has to be kept cool, but that's a design flaw right there.There are animals that keep their tackle indoors, a lot of birds, whales, reptiles, etc. Definitely a design flaw.But it would also make them harder to fondle...It is quite pleasurable, but I note a negative reaction if I linger too long in the practice, on the bus or in the supermarket, from those around me.

Blacksheep
24th Nov 2006, 03:19
...I note a negative reaction if I linger too long in the practice, on the bus or in the supermarket, from those around meYou aren't that Aaa.....rrrggggghhh! character under another yet another name by any chance?

One also notes a certain reluctance on the part of Mrs B to fondle them in public... :rolleyes:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
24th Nov 2006, 04:00
But it would also make them harder to fondle.My doctor seems to have no trouble fondling my prostate :uhoh: :eek: :{