PDA

View Full Version : few months in Maun not an option?

gbpck
22nd Nov 2006, 14:31
hi people,

i've read lots of threads about Maun and was wondering if anyone goes there for like 3-6 mths for the experience and hrs rather than just the 2 year contracts i have read about... or is that frowned upon?

cheers
CK

PerfectAir
23rd Nov 2006, 06:30
Anyone flying in Maun goes primarily for their hours and experience so you would be short-changing yourself to only go for a couple of months. Its great experience and you will come out after a year with good memories and loads of bush flying experience and learning how to deal with people in sometimes difficult situations. A great gowing up curve. Highly recommended. I have sent many new pilots up to Maun so that they can 'serve their apprenticeship' prior to moving into general aviation and larger a/c.

Rude Boy
25th Nov 2006, 09:20
Just to add to what PerfectAir said, apart from the general benefit in spending a longer period in Maun I doubt any operators would agree to provide an employment contract for such a short term. The local route training, which is mandatory by the way, is quite an undertaking and when added to the expense and hassle required to obtain work and residence permits it certainly doesn't make sense for them to employ anybody for anything less than a season or two. I would recommend going for it though, most people who fly there leave with a lot of good, solid experience under their belts.

gbpck
25th Nov 2006, 14:39
thanks for the input guys, i'm going for it! i have booked my ticket and am arriving there next friday eeeeeeek!

cheers bek

j-spax
27th Nov 2006, 12:48
Hope you enjoy yourself over there in maun gbpck!

iqi
28th Nov 2006, 06:57
anyone knows any information about flying job in maun in the month of january?how is the pay?any information will be great thanks.

gbpck
28th Nov 2006, 19:29
hi ya,

i rang a few companies last week and most of them said they may be recruiting in a few mths, no one committed to anything but i think its a safe bet that there will be some vacancies in Jan. It seems if you are there and catch someone nice at the right time you may well get some work.

from what i gather theres a month or 2 unpaid while they do your training - u sit next to someone for a bit, then they sit next to you before you are let loose... then around 5500 pula p/mth if u flying a C206

dont quote me!
bek