PDA

View Full Version : EBAY - not for the RAF!

RODF3
22nd Nov 2006, 13:23
I,ve just logged back onto my IGS to discover that Ebay is now barred. Obviously the boffins that be have decided that too much time is spent shopping and not enough working (apart from all the dets and ops). Wouldn't mind but I can still do my Tesco's and Amazon, so what's the logic?:{

The Masked Geek
22nd Nov 2006, 13:37
Hurrah, another morale boost. :ugh:

Mr Blake
22nd Nov 2006, 13:48
How long before PPRUNE etc are removed?

PompeySailor
22nd Nov 2006, 13:49
It's because you can't sell Government stores on the Tesco site. There was a civil servant a little while ago who had a thriving business listing pages of the Banner catalogue on the site, then placing stationery orders as the Ebay orders came in.....

Combine Harvester
22nd Nov 2006, 13:54
I queried it with the boffins this morning; they replied:

'MOD as a whole has a particular concern about the use of eBay. These concerns are that MOD employees are not allowed to trade and more significantly the, sometimes, inordinate amount of time spent by users on this site. Whilst the Acceptable Use Policy (JSP740) prohibits the offering for sale of items and services on commercial auction sites and warns that personal use must not interfere with official duties; DGInfo and the 1* DIRGE have directed that all eBay sites be blocked between the hours of 0630Z - 1800Z.

Anyone with a legitimate reason to access eBay during this time, is required to forward a Business Case to the DFN Gateways Team'

So, it seems it is more to do with excessive time spent perusing the site than actually flogging HM's kit on there. The night shift should be ok though........

mutleyfour
22nd Nov 2006, 13:56
Just enquired to IGS regarding Ebay and the reply says that MOD have concerns about personnel spending too much work time on Ebay so the site will be barred from 0630 until 1830 daily. So that pretty much rules out any of you Air Force chaps then!

On_The_Top_Bunk
22nd Nov 2006, 14:09
Would have been nice to at least have it between 1200 and 1300 so lunchtimes could be spent on it.

I noticed a lot of other sites I visit have been blocked as well and they weren't even contentious.

Another morale boostin kick in the Ass. :*

RODF3
22nd Nov 2006, 14:16
How long before PPRUNE etc are removed?
Looking at the speed of the responses this would surely allow more time for work as well as achieving the aim of removing a line of dissent/information dissemination.:mad:

A2QFI
22nd Nov 2006, 14:28
I suggest that it is possible that the biggest users of e bay are probably soldiers trying to buy decent kit on line, to supplement the stuff they are, or aren't, issued with!

HansBwix
22nd Nov 2006, 14:36
Ahh, yes, but if the MOD no longer allow you to buy your kit on Ebay, how can they follow their current policy of waiting until 95% of the armed forces have bought a certain piece of kit and then miraculously stocking it knowing full well we won't demand it because we've already gone out and bought it? e.g. camelbacks, decent sand goggles, decent bergen, decent boots (wait -scratch that they only had those for about a year before they wnet back to the cheap look-a-likes).

Sospan
22nd Nov 2006, 15:02
Has this got anything to do with E-goat being bumped offline ?

QFIhawkman
22nd Nov 2006, 15:11
Just enquired to IGS regarding Ebay and the reply says that MOD have concerns about personnel spending too much work time on Ebay so the site will be barred from 0630 until 1830 daily. So that pretty much rules out any of you Air Force chaps then!

Arf! What a wit.

On a serious note, by the rationale that ebay is banned due to the time spent online by forces people, I forsee PPRuNe, ARRSe, e-goat, Rum Ration etc falling by the wayside very soon indeed.

Kitbag
22nd Nov 2006, 15:37
QFI Hawkman

I originally found Pprune by following the link from a Military website, however theres nothing to say it won't be cut now. Surprised it didn't happen when the thread about military coups was running!

wg13_dummy
22nd Nov 2006, 16:01
Let me get this straight. Some people are whinging that they cannot access a commercial online auction house on a service computer utilising a service internet connection during working hours?

What military purpose would you want to be browsing EBay for?

You may wish to try working in between coffee breaks.

Just a thought.

vecvechookattack
22nd Nov 2006, 16:09
What military purpose would you want to be browsing EBay for?

Err...how about buying Flying Clothing? I bought my latest set of flying gloves from Ebay....cos Mr Pusser had none !!!

Oh, and a set of Thermals...same reason

wg13_dummy
22nd Nov 2006, 16:17
Err...how about buying Flying Clothing? I bought my latest set of flying gloves from Ebay....cos Mr Pusser had none !!!

Oh, and a set of Thermals...same reason

In that case, get in touch with the DFN Gateways team and give them your Business Case. :ok:

It's hard to understand why the RAF are getting such a bad name isn't it? :hmm: :hmm:

vecvechookattack
22nd Nov 2006, 16:24
Unlikel;y fella.....I dont have an IGS account at work...I'm not one of the wheels.

Jimlad1
22nd Nov 2006, 17:01
Actually the MOD Internet policy accepts that the provision of DII meant that many MOD staff - both service and civilian may want to use the Internet. It further accepts that 'surfing the net' provides the ability to increase IT awareness and skills.

A DIN was issued sometime ago which basically said that MOD personnel could use their IGS account for 'personal surfing' for up to 15/20 minutes during the working day. Staff that chose to do this would be expected to work the equivalent extra time prior to leaving though. Banning access to Ebay seems to go against the spirit of this DIN.

I doubt the service websites will be banned - the ensuing media frenzy would be enough to lift it if it happened. After all bearing in mind how many stories journos get here, they may have to do some work and write their own story if we couldnt post.

Could be the last?
22nd Nov 2006, 17:07
I've heard, from a very reliable source, that PPRune is next to have access denied.:confused:

So how will our lords and masters know what is going on:confused:

SirToppamHat
22nd Nov 2006, 17:23
VecVecHookAttack

Unlikely fella.....I dont have an IGS account at work...I'm not one of the wheels.

I am assuming from your preceding post relating to the purchase of flying clothing that you fly? Presumably, then, access to a number of sites available only through the IGS would be an enhancement to FS? For example, access to the AIS Website for NOTAM and Airspace Information? It must be possible for you to make a case for access?

I think I am correct in thinking that you need to have an IGS account to communicate with civvy email addresses? If your version of the DII or whatever you currently have is as cr@p as mine at getting emails even to Service addresses (I frequently have to use the civilian version of a mil address just to get stuff to people!), then it must be possible to use this as part of your case.

Briefing GCI, looking at ATOs and ACOs, checking out the Ex/Ops plans etc, there are loads of good reasons why we should all have access to IGS accounts - most people on my Unit have it, and not just the wheels!

Make your case and see what happens!

STH

Talking Radalt
22nd Nov 2006, 18:26
Can we be assured though, that whilst our (alleged) misuse of Service IT is being reduced, our lords and masters can still grind Main Building to a halt whilst they all chortle over an MPG of squaddies in Al Amarah indulging in a spot of karaoke to the strains of a well known Tony Christie song? :hmm:

stickmonkeytamer
22nd Nov 2006, 18:36
Where am I going to buy all of my essential uniform now? The supply chain should get much more efficient now that the stackers are not spending all of their time selling the stuff that got "lost in the paperwork"... :E

SMT

QFIhawkman
22nd Nov 2006, 18:56
Stickmonkeytamer, you've been speaking to the wrong stackers.
The guys at my place couldn't be more helpful. Ask and it shall be done! (And it's rarely charged).
I should add that I know that the MOD Police monitor ebay all the time looking for dishonest stackers, (something in QRs I believe makes it a serious offence to mess about with "Her Majesy's stores"). I hear that they've not convicted more than 2 or 3 civvies in the last 5 years. Most of your ebay stuff is, I believe, from "Walts" to coin a phrase from our Army cousins. Mainly surplus shops and individuals that have bought from other individuals within the forces. (And generally those individuals are not from within the supply branch).

tonkatechie
22nd Nov 2006, 20:12
I've heard, from a very reliable source, that PPRune is next to have access denied.:confused:
So how will our lords and masters know what is going on:confused:
Easy - they'll have a 'business case' to find out what the chaps are thinking, it's quicker than sending out those questionnaires, don't ya know!
That said, when I got my IGS details and had to electronically 'sign' SyOps, I seem to remember that there was something about not logging onto "web forums that allow anonymous posting through the use of pseudonyms" (i.e. Pprune et al), so I don't look at work :rolleyes: (or bl:mad: y ebay either now, thanks very much)

Sospan
22nd Nov 2006, 21:34
I am not sure if you missed my quesion earlier but....... have the IGS geeks done anything to stop me accessing E-goat ? or as it been bumped off ?:confused:

Confucius
22nd Nov 2006, 22:11
eBay 'banned' at work? Fine. I'll just come in later and leave earlier.

:mad: 'em.

Why not merge this thread with

"RAF Meltdown - Has it begun?", "why is everyone flightcrew leaving the military?" et al...

Piece, by piece by piece...

Next thing you know we won't even be able to track Santa (http://www.noradsanta.org/en/tracking.php)

Talking Radalt
22nd Nov 2006, 23:27
These concerns are......more significantly the, sometimes, inordinate amount of time spent by users on this site.
Give us some more hours then. :hmm:

PPRuNe Pop
23rd Nov 2006, 06:25
Putting the record straight................

PPRuNe does not usually allow Ebay links and they are removed. There have been exceptions such as the Vulcan offer but no others.

This site costs a fortune to run but you get the use of it for free. Danny relies purely on the ads and banner revenue to keep it going. Ebay doesn't pay for space and it and its like will not get free space here.

Tough old world innit! :=

The Helpful Stacker
23rd Nov 2006, 07:15
Where am I going to buy all of my essential uniform now? The supply chain should get much more efficient now that the stackers are not spending all of their time selling the stuff that got "lost in the paperwork"... :E
SMT

Actually a few years back the RAF Police P&SS types investigated the DAC at RAF Stafford because so much service issue clothing was going missing en-route from Bicester. The daft part was the coppers were randomly searching the cars of TSW/2MT personnel at the gate even though the DAC was 100% civvy manned at the time and there was no way service personnel could have been doing it.

I mentioned to one of them when I was stopped that perhaps it'd be better off them popping down to Penkridge market and looking for the CS employee with a side-line in 'surplus' clothing but I believe nothing came of it.

In my time in I've only known one very dodgy service stacker who has tried to profit through the system, a chap at Locking who was caught with a boot full of scrapped but serviceable surplus to requirements MT spares when civvy vehicles went over to white fleet. He had only months to do before he left the service as it was and spent them at Colchester.

sirsaltyhelmet
23rd Nov 2006, 07:59
I am not sure if you missed my quesion earlier but....... have the IGS geeks done anything to stop me accessing E-goat ? or as it been bumped off ?:confused:

The site was hacked by some romanian advertisers. The guys who hosted the site pulled the plug and terminated the account.

Wobbly has purchased a new server dedicated to the goat and it will be up shortly.

Hope this helps

Atlantic Cowboy
23rd Nov 2006, 09:21
Although the powers that be have pulled the plug on E-bay there are a whole host of other auction sites that can be accessed. Just do a search for UK auction sites and you will find many opportunities.

If using E-Bay breaks Departmental rules why is it ok to use the site before 0700 and after 1800. Presumably if you break the rules outside of normal working hours nobody cares! Or, is that when the 1* and above get their bids in!?

Almost_done
23rd Nov 2006, 10:58
With a nod to the Torygraph, the powers that be must have seen Alex on Monday.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/graphics/2006/11/21/calex21.gif
:}

GelBoyCT
23rd Nov 2006, 11:45
By condoning the use or ebay outside of normal working hours (that's shinnies daylight time - SDT) does it mean the MOD have shot themselves in the foot for any future misuse of IT cases?

Aeronut
23rd Nov 2006, 12:05
PPrune is accessed by most 1*s of all 3 services in an effort to gauge morale and is used as a think tank to float the once unimaginable before it becomes policywork for me?:ugh:

Hahahahahahahaaa:D

Ridiculous

WhiteOvies
23rd Nov 2006, 12:13
EBay was ideal for finding odd little things for leaving presents as the people around me retire/quit/made redundant. Can't see a business case for that getting past the fun police though!

In Tor Wot
23rd Nov 2006, 17:00
ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip - one more paper cut closer to the death by a thousand . . . :mad:

The entire MOD IT set-up is so screwed that I'm amazed I can even get to the internet! Because we haven't updated our operating system(s) for 6-15 years (dependent on whether you're still on NT or BSA 2000) there's very little left on internet that is viewable - try getting an image through Google search.

The fact that the 'fun' police have now blocked Ebay's use between MOD's opening hours more eloquently illustrates the hierarchy's ignorance of the hours currently being worked by their staff than any of the threads on PPrune

On_The_Top_Bunk
23rd Nov 2006, 17:18
try getting an image through Google search.

Google image search is purposely blocked by the fun police in case you go looking for Pr0n. :uhoh:

Data-Lynx
23rd Nov 2006, 18:53
For SaddamsLoveChild. Try the archive about the Defence Information Reference Group Executive (http://www.jsp600.ia.mod.uk/archive/ig/ig005.htm). Apparently, the DIRG sits only when required and is under review as part of the DGMO-led 2nd PUS/VCDS F2E CIS Process Study. Now isn't that clear!

Pontius Navigator
23rd Nov 2006, 21:37
Try this site: I was gobsmacked when I got access through IGS::}

This is the Google summary.

<<The Rockall TimesIssue includes society, sex, arts, science, politics and logic.
www.therockalltimes.co.uk/ - 8k - Cached - Similar pages

Rockall launches audacious ... - www.therockalltimes.co.uk/2006/07/03/wor...
Raghead terror suspect dragged ... - www.therockalltimes.co.uk/2006/08/28...
Marauding kids terrorise ... - www.therockalltimes.co.uk/2006/07/03/marau...
Rockall declares Summer recess - www.therockalltimes.co.uk/2006/07/03/sum...
More results from www.therockalltimes.co.uk »

A good headin
24th Nov 2006, 08:10
I thought the Engineers got the spares for Tornado from Ebay??:}

tonkatechie
24th Nov 2006, 15:37
just tried to check the work syndicate's lottery ticket and guess what? The fun police have added the national lottery website to their list of no-go sites! OIC Morale-suppression must be on performance-related-pay:*

fod_plod
24th Nov 2006, 18:32
I thought the Engineers got the spares for Tornado from Ebay??:}

It would be easier... the chances of the stackers having something in stock are slim at best. So then we end up robbing from the Christmas tree in the corner of the hangar. Again.

CashMachine
27th Nov 2006, 07:48
Hi, Haven't posted for a while but seeing as E-Goat is down I had to get my fix.

No E-Bay :mad: - then try WWW.TAZBAR.COM. Not as extensive as E-Bay as it's only just started up but hey beggers can't be choosers!

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
27th Nov 2006, 09:24
Fod Plod

On a serious note; don't blame the Stackers. Blame the Provisioners in the IPT (who probably don't have any money). You can't stack what you haven't got.

fod_plod
27th Nov 2006, 15:32
Fod Plod

On a serious note; don't blame the Stackers. Blame the Provisioners in the IPT (who probably don't have any money). You can't stack what you haven't got.

I know it's not their fault that they don't have the stuff in, and in fact the forward delivery guys (and gals) tend to do a very good job of getting stuff over from tech stores to the hangar for us to fix the aircraft. It's just so frustrating being told to rob, sorry canabalize, another aircraft, doubling the man hours just so whoever it is saves a few bob. And less manning doesn't help things but that's a different can of worms.

donardboy
27th Nov 2006, 16:03
Sorry chaps, but one method of checking how our horses (as owners of course) has been removed as we cannot get on to the Racing Post website. Someone must have carried out a cull of those websites that we enjoy. Praise be that I have weeks left. I know there are other methods of checking but quality of life and all that.

I am sorry if this has been mentioned before but I couldn't ne bothered to read all previous posts as I am busy ringing my trainer.

Unbelievable when you consider the military interest in racing

QFIhawkman
27th Nov 2006, 19:15
I suppose you could look at this from another point of view....

7 or 8 years ago (or even 2 years ago in my case) you wouldn't get internet access at work AT ALL.
Now I'm as peeved as the next man that I can't track my ebay purchases/ look at the page 3 girl of the day/ look at knackered MGs/ put a bet on "I Am A Horse" at the 3:30 from Huntingdon any longer.
But could it be that our lords and masters just let the reigns out a bit quick? And now they're tugging them in slightly?
Is a bit of t'internet at work better than none at all? You may find out of course, soon enough, when you can't get on here one day.

Just food for thought.

splitbrain
27th Nov 2006, 20:58
You may find out of course, soon enough, when you can't get on here one day.

Nah, surely they wouldn't be so mean spirited as blo

threepointonefour
27th Nov 2006, 21:53
Apparently too many servicemen and women are logging onto JPA and wasting valuable working time. I hear from a reliable source in town (Sleaford) that JPA will be the next to get restricted access; to ensure maximum screwing factor, only 2 people will be able to log in at a time as of next week.

(4 days to go ... )

Imagine the conversation ...

"What are we gonna do?

ME Pilot exit rate - 85%
FJ Pilot exit rate - 90%
GR7/9 pilot exit rate - 95%
Navs accepting PA - 1/3
SNCOs applying for redundancy - 75%

... let's restrict a minor pleasure even more and take away access to useful websites. That'll f--- em."

"Good idea. And if it doesn't f--- em completely, we'll just send them out Iraqanistan for 4-6 mths."

Nice work Mr B & co.

(Did I mention I've got 4 days? ... ha ha ha ha ha ha ha)

Pontius Navigator
28th Nov 2006, 06:51
. . . and wasting valuable working time.

Time wasting? I wasted a good hour yesterday sending a file. First burn it to CD ROM, then walk it to a terminal with a connection, CD not burnt properly, walk it back, burn again . . .

Eventually loaded and then waited as it was sent.

Who needs distractions? It was the same mentality that had the Games locked down on the computers until they realised that watchkeepers die of boredom looking at a screen waiting for something to happen.

At least the Ebay countdown at night will help.

mutleyfour
28th Nov 2006, 07:31
My view on all this is simple (yes, just like me ABIW):
In a previous lifetime if I needed to get the wife a gift etc I would nip down to the town at lunch time but of course with the traffic being so bad and all of our camps/airfields being in the middle of nowhere my hour quickly turned to 2.
On top of that I used to on occasion just prior to deploying phone interflora and get some flowers to the misses after I had left (Yes I know I'm a sentimental old bugger ABIW).
With the arrival of my IGS account both of these tasks are completed in minutes so rendering me firmly into work mode for much more of the working day and reducing my trip to town in uniform (yes I know I like to show off ABIW) which of course is a direct threat to human rights in this country.
So inadvertantly the head sheds at MOD have infact sent me back in time, to a land without ease, to a fruitless barren workplace that only invokes rebellion and a need to go home more often to check my bids. Such a shame my house is 8 miles from the camp!

Pontius Navigator
28th Nov 2006, 07:43
M4, good point although an advantage not available to everyone - RHIP - but a number of years ago we had a visit by some French AF and an airman was left twiddling his thumbs. I offered to give him a quick orientation ride round town and country.

He was amazed that I could just grab my hat (yes wore it in those days) jump in the car and drive out the gate (yes could afford the petrol) without booking out etc.

More recently a tradition arose for DOCS. Day Off For Christmas Shopping. I think the plan here was to allow Mr PN to nip off and buy prezzies for Mrs PN with out Mrs PN and navlets in tow; no one in their right mind would want to go shopping with the Missus would they?

Now we can't shop on line will we see more DOCS being programmed?

RODF3
29th Nov 2006, 07:46
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006550468,00.html
We've made the Currant Bun, page 2 and a cartoon.

Northern Circuit
29th Nov 2006, 13:08

dont think so - it looks like the goat has temp slipped its tether. (not that we are used to this in our line of work.

...much

http://www.e-goat.co.uk/