PDA

View Full Version : Broome RWY 28 TORA?

Blip
22nd Nov 2006, 04:33
Can someone please use Google Maps or Google Earth, go to Broome Airport and check out the markings painted on the eastern end of the runway? Or if you fly from or through Broome on a regular basis you will already be familiar with it.

Where does the Runway 28 TORA/TODA begin??

You have the 28 threshold. East of that there is a turning node which is marked by two centreline arrows and completely enclosed by a solid white line on the edge of the paved surface. It is 120 metres long. Then east of the turning node is yet another area with two more centreline arrows and is also completely enclosed by a solid white line. This section is 90 metres long.

Common sense would tell me that they would build the turning node at the point where the take off run begins, however that would then mean that the area to the east of the turning node should be marked with chevrons. However it is not. They have used arrows. The use of arrows and solid white line on around the edges suggest that the full length of the sealed surface is available for takeoff and used in the stated TORA/TODA.

There is a diagram in the AIP on page AD 1.1-5 showing centreline arrows like those found at Broome. It says:

"This section of runway available for all
operations except landing in direction
indicated."

On page AD 1.1-8 it says:

Runway Side Stripe and End Marking. Solid white lines
delineate the edges of the full strength pavement on sealed or
concrete runways.

3.5.7 Sealed Area Beyond the Runway. A sealed area beyond the
runway end that is not suitable for normal use by aeroplanes is
marked for its entire length by yellow Vee Bars. A sealed Stopway
or blast area that is not suitable for taxiing is defined by the white
line delineating the edge of the full strength pavement.

It is interesting to note that the most easterly end of the sealed surface is only 25 metres from the airport perimeter road, and only 120 metres from the public road. There is no blast fence, only a small mound of dirt and rocks.

So what do others reckon? If you were operating an RPT jet through there, where would you line up?

AerocatS2A
22nd Nov 2006, 05:05
I've only ever seen people line up from the turning node.

Capn Bloggs
22nd Nov 2006, 05:17
where would you line up?
In the turning node. You can see where we all turn around! :)

You are right; the arrows prior to the turning node should be yellow Vee bars if I read AIP correctly.

I took this pic the last time I passed over...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/webpixx/prune/bme28.gif

AerocatS2A
22nd Nov 2006, 08:54
I took this pic the last time I passed over...

Yeah right ;).

hoss
22nd Nov 2006, 19:12
Runway End Safety Area (RESA) for Runway 10? As far as I know it(RESA) can be used for take-off on Runway 28. Bummer they did not put the turning node further east, perhaps the perimeter road has something to do with it(clearance), perhaps it's the strength of the extra surface(PCN). I've seen the tide up close to the fence quite a few times!

"Where does the Runway 28 TORA/TODA begin??" At the first solid white line, any thing else is a bonus.

"So what do others reckon? If you were operating an RPT jet through there, where would you line up?" Like Capn Bloggs, at the turning node if I needed it(B717) but if I was flying a Cessna why not use the extra area.

:)

ps. What I am interested in is why the Runway 28 threshold has been moved? I always thought the keys used to be down in the node? It's been over 6 years since I was last in Broome, what has happened in Chinatown?

john_tullamarine
22nd Nov 2006, 20:41
I'll send a signal to Overrun ... he has some knowledge of the design of this runway, I believe, and should be able to give us the good gen on the question ...

WALLEY2
23rd Nov 2006, 04:37
Gentlemen,
TORA/TODA 28 runway lengths are from the Eastern turning nodes. (refer: ERSA: LOCAL TRAFFIC REGULATIONS point 11 "RWY 28 SOT at E turning node.)

The RESA turning line markings are as shown as the RESA pavement is full strenght and available to large RPT A/C on request extenending 28 TODA/TORA by 90 meters.

We could not extend the runway further east due to OLS restrictions in Chinatown. The rock wall is infact a blast wall to divert exhaust and make rotors stopping excessive blast blowing old ladies of their push bikes on the Broome enterance road!!!

Chers Mike

Capn Bloggs
23rd Nov 2006, 07:46
Onya Mike. The only problem is that, unless I'm going blind, item 11 doesn't exist on my Jepp Airport Chart or in the Jepp Airport Directory!:{

Yet another email to Jepp required re their errors??

hoss
23rd Nov 2006, 10:36
Well how about that Capn Bloggs! post number 146 by WALLEY2, almost as if he planned it;) .

Capn Bloggs
23rd Nov 2006, 10:57
I wonder if he will get to 717 posts?! :E Ponderosa, California I bet! :}

OverRun
24th Nov 2006, 06:18
I think WALLEY2 has covered it nicely.

The previous runway length of 2,026 metres meant that Boeing 737 aircraft could be restricted in their pax/fuel loads on take-off from Broome. The climb surface for this aircraft on takeoff to the east over Chinatown was limited by obstacles. Notwithstanding a displaced threshold, this extension at the eastern end of the runway would allow the aircraft a longer takeoff roll. At about that time, the 90m RESA requirement came in, and the design and declared distances were adjusted to meet that requirement. The published ERSA 23-Nov-2006 Runway Distance Supplement 28 TODA is 2,428 metres. This doesn't include the extra bit "available to large RPT A/C on request extending 28 TODA/TORA by 90 metres."

Hoss, when the eastwards extension was planned, the runway was on a slope (down to the east) and as it got extended, the takeoff gradient to the close-in obstacles got worse. The runway longitudinal gradient on the extension was flattened out within the MOS/ICAO limits to improve it a bit, but it still meant moving powerlines and some Chinatown lights, and a fair bit of realigning major drainage channels and the town incoming water main, before the extension could be completed. With all the work done, the piano keys were then moved. All the blacktop is full strength (in fact this bit is even stronger than the PCN indicates).

Capt Basil Brush
24th Nov 2006, 09:57
Do QF still do Broome - Sydney in the 738?

That's why the extra runway came in handy. :ok:

cunninglinguist
24th Nov 2006, 12:46
Bloggs, the speed limit in the circuit is 210, by the bluriness of your photo you were clearly doing 320-330 := :E

Capn Bloggs
25th Nov 2006, 00:35
you were clearly doing 320-330
Practising for my Red Bull display next year.:}

Actually, Cunning, you norty boy, the circuit speed limit these days is 200! :} :=

hoss
25th Nov 2006, 00:53
Thanks, OverRun:ok: (appropriate name;) )

Airspace
15th Dec 2006, 04:14
MOS defines TORA as ".. the length of runway available for the ground run of an aeroplane taking off. It will normally be the full length of the runway. Neither stopway nor clearway are involved." Broome's runway 10/28 is 2368 meters, the R10 TORA is 2458 meters. It is the only airport that I am aware of the has a take off run longer than the actual runway. The whole calculation is messed up badly, but, I believe it has been approved by CASA. The only way I can see it working is if you consider the 28 threshold as permanantly displaced and then re calculate all of the figures.

OverRun
15th Dec 2006, 05:36
RUNWAY DISTANCE SUPPLEMENT
23-Nov-2006
BROOME/INTL RWY (CN)
RWY 10 TORA 2458 (8064) TODA 2518 (8261) (5.12%)
RWY 28 TORA 2368 (7769) TODA 2428 (7966) (1.63%)

In the ERSA INTRO section where it has the explanation, under RUNWAY DIMENSIONS, it says that the RWY length is generally the TKOF run (physical length) AVBL for both RWY directions. The ERSA picture for Broome shows 2368. Since the TORA is different in the two directions, which is safer - to show the shorter length (2368) or the longer length (2458)?

The difference in length is because the RESA can be used at the 10 end for the takeoff run, but not at the 28 end. Which is better for industry and safety – have more takeoff length or less?

Answers on the back of a card please etc etc :)

Airspace
15th Dec 2006, 22:46
I agree with Overrun, if it is there and it is safe why not use it. Broome's declared distances have just been worked out so it is very confusing. If the length of full strength pavement is 2458 as I suspect, the runway could have a declared length of 2458 meters. It the R28 threshold was then permanantly displaced 90 meters back to where it is now then it would make perfect sense without the confusion. Further it would not need any physical changes to that which exists now and should fit with the current OLS, just a paperwork fix so all can understand what is going on. As is is, R10 TORA utilises the RESA, which according to MOS and ICAO starts at the end of the clearway, and the clearway should not be part of the TORA. This just gets more confusing as it goes on. If Broome worked it out like every other airport it would be straight forward.

Reverseflowkeroburna
18th Dec 2006, 07:29
Has anyone considered the possibility that the turning node is positioned to allow wingtip clearance with the blast mound? 737 drivers might be able to shed some light on what is required here. If you can't turn around in there, and you can't reverse in........you can't use it!!! Just trying the KISS principle here.

I personally agree with Airspace, it's there & I use it! But then I only cart a 15m wing around.