PDA

View Full Version : MREs - Meals Ready to Eat

Rollingthunder
22nd Nov 2006, 02:38
I would have posted this in the Mil Forum but I'm chicken.

These are field meals in pouches designed for para drops and long term storage. Cut open the top of the foil packet, add a bit of water and fold the opening closed. A thermal reaction takes place and in a few minutes you have a hot meal. They are used in the US military. Are they used in the UK military? How do they taste? They all seem to look pretty much the same, finished product wise. There is a varied selection especially if compared with C-Rations.

Grilled Beefsteak with mushroom gravy
BBQ Pork rib
Beef ravioli
Cheese & vegetable omelet
Chicken breast filet
Chicken fajita
Chicken with salsa
Hamburger patty
Beef stew
Chili with macaroni
Penne with vegetables and sausage in spicy tomato sauce
Veggie burger in BBQ sauce
Cheese tortellini
Vegetable Manicotti
Beef enchiladas
Chicken with noodles
Sloppy Joe filling
Cajun rice with sausage
Pot roast with vegetables
Spaghetti with meat sauce
Chicken Tetrazzini
Jambalaya
Chicken with cavatelli
Meatloaf with gravy

They are available for civilian use.

G-CPTN
22nd Nov 2006, 03:12
Are they 'real' (ie real vegetables and real meat) or are they soya with 'flavouring'? We have 'Pot Noodles' and the like such as Vesta Meals (all commercial products available off-the-shelf in supermarkets) but AFAICT they are all produced using 'false' ingredients.

gupta
22nd Nov 2006, 03:43
MRE = Meals Rejected by Ethiopians

and (thread hijack) a couple of others for the old guard:

LDV = Look, Duck & Vanish
RAMC = Run Albert, Matron's coming. Or more unkindly, Rob All My Comrades

I'll get my coat from behind the door

con-pilot
22nd Nov 2006, 03:54
Shoot, let me tell you something. When you are so hungry you'll eat your shoes because they are looking good.

MREs are GREAT!

A hell of a lot better than "K" rations.

(mumble, mumble, mumble, child people)

gizmocat
22nd Nov 2006, 08:09
Brit rations are boil-in-the bag. Slap 'em in a BV and they taste great.

Krystal n chips
22nd Nov 2006, 08:19
Brit rations are boil-in-the bag. Slap 'em in a BV and they taste great.

They also have, or maybe that should read used to have, the best tin openers ever devised----never failed----but as they had a sharp pointy bit on the end, they've probably been replaced due to Health and Safety edicts now :hmm:

Ali Barber
22nd Nov 2006, 08:28
Got given a few. They're not too bad. Even comes with a tiny bottle of Tabasco sauce. I've been told that they have no "use by date" and, so long as they are not stored in ridiculous conditions, will last indefinitely.

flugholm
22nd Nov 2006, 08:46
Ali B ---

...and if they are stored in ridiculous conditions, interesting things can happen:
http://www.cargolaw.com/2001nightmare_mre.html
:uhoh:

vapilot2004
22nd Nov 2006, 09:22
I've had MRE's on MAC flights as a dependant before they went uptown. They were not bad at all.

brickhistory
22nd Nov 2006, 13:20
MREs are designed to provide for the caloric needs of a combat soldier for a full day - so each one has close to 4,000 calories, IIRC. Not to be consumed at one sitting! Also, a steady diet of them will 'gum up the works' as effectively as concrete.

Each one contains an entree, a snack like cheese substance (oh my arteries) and cracker (think slice of bread sized), peanut butter and cracker, etc. Some sort of sweet (dehydrated strawberries are good with or without water!, coffee/cocoa mix, the previously mentioned Tabasco mini-bottle, napkin, utensils, salt/pepper, usually gum. Been a while since I had one, probably forgot something.

The DoD also changes up the selection reasonably regularly and deletes the most unpopular ones. My favorite was always the beef stew - really good cold or hot!

ORAC
22nd Nov 2006, 13:42
I used to love the old compo rations. Babies heads, compo sausages, old thick chocolate bars, sigh.

Never did need the shiny toilet paper....

angels
22nd Nov 2006, 13:49
Gainesy - posted a marvellous link on the Mil forum which had photos of meals available for transitting Mil aircrew.

Try a search it was a great link.

PS - The Brit compo stuff my B-i-L gave me when he was in the army was well acceptable, especialy the Ruby Murrays. Never tried MREs, but my B-i-L reckoned they were crap, apart from the candy.

Windy Militant
22nd Nov 2006, 16:57
Never tried them, but my nephew who was deeply miffed at missing the D Day landing anniversary a few years ago, At the time he was the regular skipper of the landing craft that carried the flag bearers to the beach. However on the day he was doing a refresher course in basic fieldcraft in a ditch on Salisbury plain and to add insult to injury the rations they were issued with were marked WD Made in 1946!
He reckoned that despite that they still tasted better than the products sold by a certain outlet with golden arches!
. ;)

Grainger
22nd Nov 2006, 17:14
[Pedant Mode]
MREs - Meals Ready to Eat
Shouldn't that be MsRE ? You know, like Courts Martial, Knights Templar (and -scary thought - Mothers In Law ).
[/Pedant Mode]

Foss
22nd Nov 2006, 17:24
I've got a whole box of the the things, British rations, troops for the eating of.
They're the boil in a bag type. Dumplings and something is quite nice, beans and little sauasages is pretty horrible. Massive teabags (yeah), and dried milk and stuff. Nice soft drink powder stuff. Tissue paper and what not.
But you get nice sweeties.

Don't never get no hotcans because they are poo in a can, and they burn your hand if you try and lift them and taste horrible.
Fos

matt_hooks
22nd Nov 2006, 17:56
Ooh Foss, you got any of the oatmeal blocks?

The idea was you put em in water and they had all the stuff to make porridge in em (sugar, dried milk and oats) but they taste feckin fabulous as they are!

Foss
22nd Nov 2006, 18:20
Ooh Foss, you got any of the oatmeal blocks
Not blocks really, congealed flakes really, if we're talking about the same thing. You've got to put tons of sugar in it, or, use it to fix tiles on the bathroom.
Biscuits brown. Has anyone anyone actually eaten one. They are terrible.
Oh aye, the wee things of primula cheese are pretty nice, God knows what the sell by date is.
Fos

West Coast
22nd Nov 2006, 18:28
Eat the crackers, cheese and peanut butter and MRE suddenly stands for meals refusing to exit.

I was stopped up for days.

MSP Aviation
22nd Nov 2006, 18:40
ooh, i love MREs! and the US makes MRE heaters, you put the water in that, put the MRE in this larger sleeve, and it's HOT, not lukewarm chemical reaction temperature.

of course, i only eat them while camping, not every day like the boys "over there." but i think they're a nice occasional treat! chicken breast, beef stew, yum. however, i've only ever had the civvy versions (my friend's dad is an emergency relief coordinator). they're smaller than "real" MREs.

Guern
22nd Nov 2006, 19:38
I don't really like Bacon much but I used to enjoy the bacon burgers!