PDA

View Full Version : Abu Hamza's Hands (or lack thereof)

High Wing Drifter
21st Nov 2006, 17:46
Just read another one of those articles on the BBC about bomb making manuals and a clue to how Abu Hamza lost his mitts. More interesting there is mention of how the author spent two weeks tracking it down on the web and chooses to omit details that would enable it to be easily found. Well despite, that I found it in about 20secs so well done BBC.

I have no idea how accurate the manual is, but on the face of it, any one of the ideas seems to require quite a lot of material that I presume is hard to find so I'm not sure this book is all the dangerous unless you have the means...in which case you have the means anyway so the existance of a manual on the web is probably of little consequence.

The liquid bomb bears no relation to the fears expressed in the media and govt. How somebody is meant to prepare this on an aircraft is beyond me :ugh:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6170072.stm

matt_hooks
21st Nov 2006, 18:10
That's exactly it though. The British people are so used to this type of "hollywood" plot that they readily believe that such a bomb would be possible to make!

It's a bloody good way for the government to make people believe that they are under constant threat, and people that are frightened are more likely to go quietly into the dark night of the current rafts of legislation aimed at limiting and removing civil liberties!

G-CPTN
21st Nov 2006, 19:18
I think we SHOULD go into Afghanistan and arrest bin Laden.

Seems only the right thing to do after all.

ORAC
21st Nov 2006, 20:08
Personally, I think we should maintain a hands off policy as regards bomb makers..........

reynoldsno1
21st Nov 2006, 21:28
... I bet he's really careful when he picks his nose now.....

G-CPTN
21st Nov 2006, 21:44
I found it in about 20secs so well done BBC.
I have no idea how accurate the manual is, but on the face of it, any one of the ideas seems to require quite a lot of material that I presume is hard to find so I'm not sure this book is all the dangerous unless you have the means...in which case you have the means anyway so the existance of a manual on the web is probably of little consequence.
However, having downloaded it, should you now be arrested and your computer impounded, you are likely to be charged with possession of said weapons manual under anti-terrorism legislation.
Did you consider that?

G-CPTN
21st Nov 2006, 21:46
Otherwise he'll need to consult an eye atollah.

High Wing Drifter
22nd Nov 2006, 08:52
G-CPTN,

The 'manual' is there, in the public domain, reported by the BBC, pages are available in the US press. Each news report goes into detail about the picture on the cover, the types of bombs described within, the author and provide the key items of data needed if you didn't already think of typing "bomb" and "manual" into Google. It appears to be one of the most downloaded documents on the web with 1000s of sites (official and otherwise) commenting on it.

You may have your opinions about what I should or should not be doing, but that is another matter.

There are stories like this which do add to the neurosis of the nation which doesn't help the situation: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/10112006/325/woman-accused-possessing-al-qaeda-manual.html

tony draper
22nd Nov 2006, 09:10
Yer, click on that bomb making link and ten minutes later the chaps at 5 will be poring over a google earth picky of yer house and there will be a slightly hollow sound when you pick up the phone.
Twas probably put there by 5, softly softly catchee monkee. :E

High Wing Drifter
22nd Nov 2006, 09:25
Twas probably put there by 5Now that I can believe! :rolleyes:

tony draper
22nd Nov 2006, 10:01
Well that is exatly what I wudda done, we Drapers are renouned for our sneakiness.
:rolleyes:

G-CPTN
22nd Nov 2006, 10:10
There are stories like this which do add to the neurosis of the nation which doesn't help the situation: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/10112006/325/woman-accused-possessing-al-qaeda-manual.html
That was the story that I was thinking of.

You don't wear a teatowel on yer head do you?

(For reference, I don't oppose anyone accessing whatever they wish. It's what they DO with the information. However, the 'security services' often have a jaundiced view of such things such as weapon manuals (and 'photographs').)

FLCH
22nd Nov 2006, 10:15

You know mom was right, it'll make you go blind....

tony draper
22nd Nov 2006, 10:18
Just had a thought,wonder how they hancuffed the fecker when they led him away?
:rolleyes:

G-CPTN
22nd Nov 2006, 10:24
You've seen those chains between hooks preventing entry to car-parks?

mccdatabase
22nd Nov 2006, 13:47
scratching his b*llocks might also cause him some grief !:eek: (unless they were blown off at the same time as his mitts)

couldn`t of happened to a nicer fellow:ok:

High Wing Drifter
22nd Nov 2006, 14:09
Michael,
Glad to see licence money being used wisely in 2 minute investigations crammed into two weeks worth of salary.
I sent a stropy email to the BBC complaining about said article and asking if there was any possibility of some relevant journalism anytime soon.

Foss
22nd Nov 2006, 14:16
How to be a crap terrorist
Be me.
I got that terrorist handbook thing years back, and didn't even download it properly.
Plastic explosive.
Get some athletic injury gel packs, how many, and do what? Can't be bothered with that, don't understand.
Car bomb.
Right, should be able to do this, it's like Delia Smith. First get a ton of fertilizer, grind it down, then add some diesel to taste, mix gently, and use within a day or two. Where am I going to get a ton of frigging fertilizer, I don't want to get the car dirty. Ask a farmer. 'It's a different kind of fertilizer now. It won't work.' Damn.
Back to pointy sticks.
Fos

panda-k-bear
22nd Nov 2006, 14:26
Drapes - I reckon 5 sould be more sneaky than that. Nothing as obvious as posting a manual on line. Nah - they'd start a thread about it in some Bulletin Board and then watch to see who responded and who went to try to Google the manual...

Oh [email protected]@er!

ORAC
22nd Nov 2006, 14:54
Yeah, but I bet you donīt have a copy of this, like wot I have... U.S. Nulcear Weapons The Secret (http://www.amazon.ca/Nuclear-Weapons-Secret-Chuck-Hansen/dp/0517567407) :E :E

Strange how many of these sort of things Iīve picked up over the years....

tony draper
22nd Nov 2006, 18:39
Nah Mr Bear,5 wont bother pprune,not when they have a man perminantly on site as it were.
:E

Blacksheep
23rd Nov 2006, 01:43
5? Isn't it 6 that does the counter-itel thing? Then they tell 5 who drop by your house with tickets for an all-expenses-paid holiday at a place by the beach in Cuba. :hmm:

XXTSGR
23rd Nov 2006, 06:50
No, Blacksheep - 6 is our spies abroad. 5 is countering their spies (and terrs) here.

MyData
23rd Nov 2006, 06:59
What happened to 1,2,3 and 4?

Is it like Bond being 007, that there were predecessors who are now no longer with us?

And does 7 exist?

I'll insert the word 'echelon' here just to make sure the system somewhere raises an alert on this thread :E And I won't bore you with the details of flying from LBA and using the Menwith Hill radomes as an unofficial VRP.

XXTSGR
23rd Nov 2006, 07:03
For a full history, read Leo Marks. There were quite a few. As I recall they went up to something like 13 or 14 during WW2.