PDA

View Full Version : Gym Contracts

bar fly
21st Nov 2006, 16:14
How solid are they? I want to join a particular Gym but it requires a 12 month contract. I don't want to commit myself to that Gym for that long, so if I were to cancel the direct debit and leave, would they be able to legaly force me to pay the remainding 12 months fees?

Admittedly, I haven't read one of these contracts but maybe they are just to put people off leaving rather than to force them to stay? Does anyone have any experience of this that might be useful?

Cheers

airborne_artist
21st Nov 2006, 16:49
Depends how much you fancy your chances in court. If you sign saying you'll pay £xx/month, for 12 months, and you don't, then they can get the money if they are prepared to go for it.

If you just want to join on trial/for a short period, why not ask for a suitable deal that fits your needs?

potkettleblack
21st Nov 2006, 21:36
You shouldn't need to take out a contract with most of the big gyms as there always seems to be people advertising for sale their memberships. I am always seeing them advertised in the local papers and on websites like the gumtree. From what I can gather the gyms get an admin fee paid by the leaving punter and you pick up the monthly DD for how ever many months are remaining. Quite often the punter is willing to subsidise your monthly DD in order to get out of the contract and minimise their loss.

G-CPTN
21st Nov 2006, 21:39
Not only will they pursue you for they balance, but they'll put debt collectors onto you and this will affect your credit rating.

bar fly
22nd Nov 2006, 08:58
Ok thanks chaps. As it's a specific gym that I need to join (one with a squash court) and in a hotel where they are unlikely to negotiate personal terms, I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and commit. It does piss me off though that they insist on this, but i imagine they make more money out of those people contracted in to a year than they lose from people like me who consider not joining as a result of the contract. Buggers.

green granite
22nd Nov 2006, 09:30
The 12 month contract is how the gyms make their money, mainly because people join in a wave of enthusiasm go a couple of times then don't bother after that cos it hurts too much. Nice income for no effort. :hmm:

vapilot2004
22nd Nov 2006, 09:51
Are there no decent local government run facilities around?

Here in the land of the cousins, we have some impressive gyms at 1/2 to 1/8 the cost of a Bally's and with far fewer sweating meatheads to share the equipment with.

phnuff
22nd Nov 2006, 12:12
Not only will they pursue you for they balance, but they'll put debt collectors onto you and this will affect your credit rating.

This is true. Due to a mix up on the gym's side, (one of many examples of them organising tea total brewery visits), one of our local gyms (part of a chain), managed to lose the records of her dd payments such that it appeared to them that she was not paying. The first we heard of this was when she was phoned up by a debt collector. It took about 3 weeks to get the issue resolved and involved copies of bank statements showing payment and a lot of egg on gym management faces. In fact, we both ended up with free membership for 6 months and a commitment by them, which they have honoured, to make sure there are no adverse credit history implications.

Smile!!!
22nd Nov 2006, 17:38
Are there no decent local government run facilities around?

Here in the land of the cousins, we have some impressive gyms at 1/2 to 1/8 the cost of a Bally's and with far fewer sweating meatheads to share the equipment with.

Yes, but 1/8 of the cost? My local private gym charges £41 per month(yes it is very basic) and my local council (local state) run gym which is even more basic and really quite run down charges £47 per month. Mind you, you never see anyone in there so why the keep it open:confused: