PDA

View Full Version : odd

boogie-nicey
21st Nov 2006, 09:01
Had to go to the bank today to pay 2 pence onto my credit card. Though I can't understand where this silly amount came from. For example if I spent 1 pence then was the interest on that amount, 1 pence too? If so then that's 100%!!!!

But where on earth could I have used my card to buy something for 1 pence. Maybe there's some kind of latent scam going on here..... hmm think I'll phone the card company (have been delaying it so as not to look stupid phoning up about 2 pence balance) ;)

tony draper
21st Nov 2006, 09:11
Hmmm, would be a lucrative scam if one could somehow bring it off,if everybody in the UK could be persuaded to pay just one pence into one's account one would be 600 grand in the blue.
:rolleyes:

Grainger
21st Nov 2006, 09:23
1 pence :rolleyes:

Is the "pence" some new unit of currency of which we have not previously been aware ?

What's the exchange rate ? How many of these "pence" to one penny ?

And what's the plural ? If I own more than one "pence" would I have several "pences" ? :confused:

:p

Whirlygig
21st Nov 2006, 09:26
Grainger, 'tis better than the "Pees" you hear about!!

Boogie, I would suggest that it's a minor error (either on their or your part) in inputting the amount of your last payment to them. Give them a ring and, pound to a "pence", they'll just write it off.

Cheers

Whirls

Binoculars
21st Nov 2006, 09:34
Not sure whether this is on thread or not, but one of the smartest decisions made by a government in my lifetime is to scrap the one and two cent coins. Rounding up/down applies, nobody loses. $1.78? $1.80 thanks. $1.77? $1.75 thanks. Next step, get rid of five cent pieces. And tens for that matter.

When CEO's give themselves packages of $10m plus options plus a bailout clause of $15m or so when they fail spectacularly to achieve their guarantees, how the hell can you expect normal people to accept a government's pious promise that the average man in the street is their concern? Bullshit. No wonder everybody is after whatever they can extract from the system by whatever means, honest or otherwise.

tony draper
21st Nov 2006, 09:41
Yer one was a tad puzzled how to write that Mr G one first typed P, but it looked daft so one just copied Mr Nicey,so blame him.

Captain Airclues
21st Nov 2006, 10:07
boogie

This often happens when you have given your credit card details for a booking some time in the future but havn't paid in advance. The hotel/airline/agent will bill your credit card a small amount to see whether you are genuine, and are likely to turn up and then will usually refund the same amount immediately. If the refund is done within a certain time it doesn't show up on your statement. Somebody has probably missed out the refund bit.
A few months ago I was phoned by my credit card company as they were confused about a 2p charge from an airline. It seems that the airline were just checking the validity of my credit card and the card company had picked it up before the airline got round to refunding it.

Airclues

rustle
21st Nov 2006, 10:07
Had to go to the bank today to pay 2 pence onto my credit card.

Is now a good time to point out that 2 pence is not "odd", so the title of this thread is incorrect? :8

boogie-nicey
21st Nov 2006, 10:08
Yep blame me, no problem :}

I think I shall phone the card company and explain the situation and then promptly ask what the minimum payment is for this amount. :p

BTW: apologies over the pence to pennies issue.

The SSK
21st Nov 2006, 10:43
If you add two pence and a penny, do you still get thruppence?

frostbite
21st Nov 2006, 12:04
And how do you make up a tanner or a bob?

green granite
21st Nov 2006, 12:10
we do have 5p coins = shilling/bob on old money

My credit card balance = -3p equally odd as I always pay exactly what it says on my statement.

ORAC
21st Nov 2006, 12:35
Wikipedia: The plural of "penny" is "pence" when referring to a quantity of money and "pennies" when referring to a number of coins. Thus a coin worth five times as much as one penny is worth five pence, but "five pennies" means five coins.

Davaar
21st Nov 2006, 12:46
Wikipedia: The plural of "penny" is "pence" when referring to a quantity of money and "pennies" when referring to a number of coins. Thus a coin worth five times as much as one penny is worth five pence, but "five pennies" means five coins.

I rather agree, but a fourpenny one was never a fourpence one, and was not delivered in coins.

ORAC
21st Nov 2006, 12:58
I would hold it does Davaar. A fourpenny one would be referring to the impact of a fist as if the 4 knuckles were 4 coins. (though of course the number of pennies commonly slipped between the knuckles was 3... :hmm: )

The same way I used to buy a comic for thrupence with a thrupenny bit....

boogie-nicey
21st Nov 2006, 13:54
oh dear .....:)

Davaar
21st Nov 2006, 15:13
[QUOTE=ORAC;2978143]I would hold it does Davaar. A fourpenny one would be referring to the impact of a fist as if the 4 knuckles were 4 coins. QUOTE]

I am not sure what your "does" refers to, but why worry about a trifle like that? If indeed a trifle can be a red herring, or even a red penny.

Perhaps a fourpenny one would have or has the reference you cite, but I doubt it. In fact, I think I have to discount that by a little over 50%, to not worth tuppence. Still, you may well be right, but I have no evidence to that effect. I see a burning need for a monograph on these WMD and ask you to forward any evidence you find or even dream up. A penny for your thoughts.

As to the interknuckle-coin school, many scholars incline to the half-penny rather than the penny construction for the ad hoc knuckle-duster, the half-penny's diameter of 1", of course, making it far more stable, or wieldy, in use than the relativey unstable or unwieldy tenth of a foot of the Old Penny.

You will join me in the hope that none would be so foolish as consider the New Penny in this non-monetary application. Too wee.

We should not on this topic overlook the tightly folded paper or glove that must be clutched within the fist behind the coins to absorb the post strike shock of the three half-penny coins, as I see it, or the three Old Penny coins that you, I fear, favour; although both us with no proven relevance, as I shall suggest in my apercu, to the original derivation of the fourpenny one.

Foss
21st Nov 2006, 15:15
'Dear Mr Fos,
you do not have to make a payment next month because you are in credit, by quite a bit because you're stupid and have paid TWICE in two weeks. We suggest you check the dates on credit slips, keep a diary, or bring an adult to the bank with you.
yours, Credit card people.'

Felt a bit silly.

Haven't got the 2p thing, but I have had them phone back in a couple of minutes checking after I've bought something. What's your number, ok, what's the number on the back, ok, expiry date, ok. 'What's your password.'
Not the foggiest, no idea. Try the dog's name, nope, try the previous dog's name, no, try a line-out code call from 10 years ago. 'Thank you sir, that purchase has gone through.'
God's sake.
Fos

tony draper
21st Nov 2006, 15:28
As I understand it a fourpenny one was a blow delivered with the back of the open hand across the vicinity of the ear.
With regard to old coinage one had a preference for the Half Croon,one still has a couple,work of the coiners art was yer half dollar,one did experiment with the manufacture of lead ones in one's sproghood but getting the head and tail into register proved to much for one primative technology
At the begining of the sixties one could still purchase a pint of beer and a packet of five woodbines with a huff croon.
One has known blokes that would not go to work if they found half a crown in the suit pocket on a monday morning.

Duckbutt
21st Nov 2006, 15:31
When I was at school there was a girl in my class who never seemed to have any money. I couldn't understand this as I knew she saved hard cos some of the other boys said she sometimes showed them her thrupenny bits.....

The SSK
21st Nov 2006, 15:46
At the begining of the sixties one could still purchase a pint of beer and a packet of five woodbines with a huff croon.

Hmmm in 1965 a pint of Scotch in any of the Newcastle pubs was 1/6 (Exhibition was 1/9 or 1/10). 20 Woodbines was 3/6 so four pints and 20 gaspers would still give you a tanner change from ten bob.

ORAC
21st Nov 2006, 16:26
I see a burning need for a monograph on these WMD and ask you to forward any evidence you find or even dream up. Happy to oblige. No doubt a London or southern phrase not found north of the border.

Fo'rp'ny one (http://www.hemyockcastle.co.uk/money.htm): Fourpenny one. Violent blow or punch. Also, a brief encounter with a "Lady of the Night" especially in Whitechapel in the East End of Victorian London.

fourpenny one: (http://www.allwords.com/word-fourpenny%20one.html) 1. slang. A blow or punch.

People's War: (http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/70/a8878170.shtml) "A chap with Frank got 3 bullets in his thigh from a machine gun. I reckon he’s all set for a Blighty. Frank went off with the Artillery OO (Observation Officer) and they saw Jerry’s supplies coming up at night, so the OO rang back for a spot of shelling from out 5.5s. it came and so accurate they just whistled over our heads and caught old Jerry a lovely fourpenny one."

Lord of the Flies: (http://www.uta.fi/~marjo.valiaho/lord.html) Give him a fourpenny one! (hit him)

Millwall Brick: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millwall_brick) Newspapers were rolled up tightly to form the so-called Millwall Brick and another trick was to make a knuckleduster out of pennies held in place by a wrapped around paper. You could hardly be pulled up for having a bit of loose change in your pocket and a Daily Mirror under your arm.[4]

ps. Having looked, the halfpenny had a diameter of 25mm, the penny 31mm, not a great difference. Which too use would seem to depend more on which you had in the pocket rather than the size of the hand; and there were a lot more pennies about in my pre-decimal youth during the 60s.

Standard Noise
21st Nov 2006, 16:36
Well, as long as you don't get a dose of the two bob bits, you'll be right as rain!

Cornish Jack
21st Nov 2006, 16:59
Orac
Re. the 'fourpenny one', yes, the three pennies went between the knuckles but, a FOURTH penny was held against the internal edges of the three to protect one's palm from the impact - hence 'Fourpenny' ???

Davaar
21st Nov 2006, 17:07
Happy to oblige. Having looked, the halfpenny had a diameter of 25mm, the penny 31mm, not a great difference. Which too use would seem to depend more on which you had in the pocket rather than the size of the hand; and there were a lot more pennies about in my pre-decimal youth during the 60s.

Many thanks. Your own researches are far deeper then mine, so I hand the torch to you. The mms are pure coincidence and fiddle-faddle. In the old friendly Imperial world there was one halfpenny to the inch and ten pennies to the foot. In terms of spending rather than mensuration it was in my time the halfpenny (chocolate snowball) and indeed the farthing (cinnamon rock) that entered commerce more often than the penny. In your book you will not overlook the groat, of fourpence value, although I never heard of a groatsworth in the teeth.

tony draper
21st Nov 2006, 17:39
I have a set of Maunday money in a wee velvet lined red leather box that includes a grote,one would like to point out they were not actually handed to me by the Monarch.
One used to have a Bun Penny about the place at one time,but one has not seen it for years,from the reign of one of the Georges if one recals correctly they were a copper penny about the size and weight of a Silver Dollar,one would not have cared to fall in the river with a pocket full of change in those days.