PDA

View Full Version : Sweden for Florida

GulfstreamPilot
21st Nov 2006, 00:19
For years now I have been interested in being based in Sweden, instead of here in Florida.
Anyone interested in; and in a position of influence to trade a jet position in Sweden for one in sunny south Florida? This is an open ended offer that would lead one to a Learjet/Gulfstream operator.

We could consider it an exchange program of sorts, PM me if interested.

aeromike34
22nd Nov 2006, 13:31
About that little thing caled green card????:}

Trolle
22nd Nov 2006, 19:47
And those FAA and JAA licenses.

BlueVikingFlyer
23rd Nov 2006, 13:54
Spent 5 year in both places. What would possess anyone to return to Stockholm and leave Florida? Not to many positions available in Sweden in that category and most do not pay anything near international rates. Good luck.

GulfstreamPilot
25th Nov 2006, 06:39
Hello all and thanks for the questions and comments. Sorry for the delayed response in the States we’ve just had our Thanksgiving holiday, I’m nearly comatose from too much turkey

1. About the green card. Honestly this is something that I’m certainly no expert at. Is a temporary living/work permit more easily to come by than a full fledged green card? If a US company was to ‘sponsor’ an individual would that perhaps circumvent the need for one? Certainly this is an aspect that I would, where possible assist; and would hope for the same in return.

2. In regards to the JAA/FAA. Though this may seem like a show stopper, I believe opportunity still exists. First off, I’m sure that there are many Scandinavians that first did and still hold an FAA certificate and perhaps then converted. As for my end, I’m currently commencing the conversion at this time. Albeit this will take some time, I believe that there must be a handful of N registered aircraft through out the country. Not to forget the possibility of applying for validation status (I understand permission to fly under ICAO ATP for period of one year).

3. And the question I answer more than any other, why would I prefer to leave south Florida for Sweden? I’ve spent my years in Florida, and it has been great. I grew up in a northern climate and honestly miss winter time. I’ve traveled to Sweden probably a dozen times, and every time I have to leave there is a little voice in my head that tells me that I’m suppose to stay. I really enjoy the culture, food, traditions, people and atmosphere that really is unlike anywhere else in the world.

Olmen
25th Nov 2006, 15:51
http://www.grafair.se/jobs.php?language=swedish

http://www.flygtorget.se/platsannonser/jobb/annonsdetalj.asp?ID=784&AbID=133

Grafair is looking for pilots with FAA Cetrificate

gooneydog
25th Nov 2006, 17:31
If you want you can give Gooney yer nice Gulfie job and in return h:ugh: e'll give you his right to live in the E U >>>>>>>

Bengt Engel
26th Nov 2006, 08:59
"I’ve spent my years in Florida, and it has been great. I grew up in a northern climate and honestly miss winter time."

did you forget about november? :}

FJS
26th Nov 2006, 09:51
Hey guys,

I must say I understand where GulfstreamPilot is coming from. I spent 6 years in Florida flying Learjets and it was a great time and good experience. But after a while I started missing the family, friends, and as funny as it might sound, the climate.

Came back in march and finished my ATPL (writtens) in september. So now I'm job hunting. It's really nice to be back, and I really don't miss the heat of Florida, but from november through march life is pretty good in the sunshine state. I try not to think about it after having 6C and rain and wind for a month here in Norway ;)

To the issue of swaping jobs. It might be possible, but to work in the US you really need a green card, which is really hard to get. A sponsorship is possible but a pain in the arse for the US employer with all the paperwork etc. To work in Europe you ofcourse need to have a work visa (not a problem for the swede I presume) but you also need the dreded JAA license. You can fly on a one year validation if the company and the government approves it.

Anyway, good luck in the pursuit of the swedish dream. Don't give up, it can be done.

GulfstreamPilot
28th Nov 2006, 04:57
Olmen-
Thanks for the tip, very much appreciated. I met with the owner of Grafair along with who was at the time the VP for lunch nearly four years ago, what a couple of great guys. I’ve kept in touch along with my interest known, I’ll be getting in touch with them again this coming week.

Gooney-
Pal you got yourself a deal… now where did I put the form for that one?

Bengt-
I know how it sounds Florida for Sweden? It’s just that some things are more important than palm trees and sun tans. Plenty of aviation here though, feel free to come warm up during November.

FGS-
Thanks for the supporting :ok: points of view. Who were you flying for in Florida?

Catans
30th Nov 2006, 02:31
Gulfstreamer,

I know exactly how you feel and I am happy to hear that I am not the only one around here thinking this way. After 17 years in the States I can't wait for the right opportunity to come around so I can move home again.

To all you nay sayers out there, it sounds great being here in the sun and in the land of aviation...but I miss home.

Catans

Amin
30th Nov 2006, 08:31
Catans,

I know how you feel, I have been here in US for 4 years and I have way to go to get to my goal, but I have always told my parents and my friends that the last stop for me is Goteborg, SVERIGE, which is Gothenburg, SWEDEN.

THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE HOME :D

TowerDog
21st May 2007, 04:04
THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE HOME

Home is a flexible thing.

I spent 20 years in Norway, 25 years in the US and 5 years in "other" places.

Now in Florida for the last 8 years and would not trade it for all the lefse and havregrøt in the world.

Sunshine and palmtrees is my HOME. Some people miss winter and the dark months of the year. Some people are claustromaniacs, ( A need for tight spaces) and some folks enjoy paying taxes and supporting bureaucracy.

Not this sunshine boy, paid my dues in the cold and proud of my heritage and viking genes, etc, but if I never see a a snowbank and a furhat again, it will be too soon....:cool:

An2
21st May 2007, 09:59
TD!,..you ol' hunk!:} (...or at least,..so you tell us!:E )
I agree.
Home can be a very flexible thing.
I'm however on the other end.....
I prefer cooler climate and thus I will most likely stay in the northern parts of Europe.
Spent a year in FL and I'm in no hurry to get back. Then again, Daytona probably isn't the best spot in the Sunshine state either!? :suspect:
Amin,
Your post is rather old, and maybe you already have returned to "Bästkusten";), but I can tell you Göteborg is pretty d*mn nice now.
Chicks are coming out of hybernation as well, making for a nice scenery at Avenyn!!:8

TowerDog
21st May 2007, 13:42
TD!,..you ol' hunk! (...or at least,..so you tell us! )

Aye, still a hunk...220 lbs of swinging beef..:p