PDA

View Full Version : Movie "Aviary" - please tell me that's not true?!

Idgie Tea
20th Nov 2006, 20:20
I have just seen the movie "Aviary" and initially hoped to see that it will finally be a movie about the real life of flight attendants or at least aviation in general.

To say the least, I was shocked and actually had to laugh so hard because of its ridiculousness.

Has anyone else seen it and agrees? Or - I don't dare to believe it - is that the truth about US based airlines and their "operations"? Please tell me it isn't.

If it is I have to admit that I am just too happy not to be flying in the US.

But I can't believe it anyway. No matter what you tell me. If it's true I prefer to believe the myths of this world.

kmp1
21st Nov 2006, 05:00
i've seen it -- it's not quite realistic.....! What part of it made you shocked the most?

Idgie Tea
21st Nov 2006, 15:05
Basically that I had the impression that the only thing they're after is to get a guy. Whether it is to get him in bed or to marry him to be able to retire. Any motivation in having a life of one's own? Is there life before death?

That they treat and talk to each other all too often as if the other one represents the lower end of the people on this planet?

That they sit in uniform in a flat waiting to be called when being on call or standby or reserve or whatever it's called? And that whilst constantly using their cell phones for all the other calls? The least would be to hang around in private clothes? Or go somewhere do something? The idea of a cell phone is that it's mobile?

That they don't go out to see the city they basically live in or at least are based in? :sad:

That they sit at the bar and actually chat about the pilots and even find them hot when they get to the bar in their uniform wearing their hats??? And that you sit at a bar wearing your uniform in the first place? Don't you want to get rid of that the earliest? Besides the fact that the company might not like to see that (subject alcohol and flying / being on duty or representing the company)?

That the pilots wear their uniform (especially jackets) even in hotel rooms? And wear their hats even when sitting in the flight deck? Or even worse, are at a party with other colleagues - be it flight attendants or pilots - in their uniforms? And go on funerals or whatever official date it might be in their uniforms? :ooh:

That you have to arrange for your transport even when away from your home base? Or let's say take a cab of your own?

I guess I could go on like this for a long time.

I do think what was captured well were the ever changing time zones and bad departure times, the inability to live a normal life according to real people's ideas (I liked that expression :hmm: ), the constant and ongoing life out of a suitcase and just the feeling of being in the air and flying, looking down on things small and far.

But in general I would say that it shows the job or the ones doing it as very simple minded. I got it for X-mas for my sis who's a FA as well, but I think I might need to get some protective gear to be able to absorb the beating I will get from her when she watched it.

Yes I do know that there are some simple minds around, but for a movie that was labeled the best and most realistic one so far I had hoped for a more representative view. But then, I live and fly somewhere else and only look at it from another perspective without the immediately direct touch, just what I can see happening and what I get told.

Basically what I can say from my experience is that reality is better the way I know it and that I've seen way more interesting and smarter people doing the job. The other ones I guess I don't get to talk to very much.

By the way, in case it's not very obvious, this can be considered as a compliment for a largely understated and mis-represented career group. :ok:

BMED LHR
21st Nov 2006, 15:40
Hello ,
the only thing true about the movie is the constant change in time zones and sometimes a very lonely job .

And not getting time to see your family , And also the standby scene is a little true . I Don't have to wait in uniform for call out flight's as I'm close to Heathrow , But there are a few Crew I know who sit at Airports in Manchester / Glasgow ect..and wait for that standby call also Service Station's is a hang out spot for crew on standby . I liked the Movie , But I love my job and the Airline industry .

It's just a light hearted movie , That you need to take with a pinch of salt .

P.s the Airline is UNITED AIRLINES , I use to work for them and the Hotel is where the Virgin Atlantic And United and the loads of Asian Airline's stay in New York . And the room service scene is so true , No money to give a tip and also U.S crew Don't drink in uniform just like UK Airlines .

And if you miss crew transport you do have to take a Cab , It's happened to me before in Tashkent lucky the purser was nice :) and it was the hotels fault ...Pheww!!

I watched the Movie with the Crew in theran and we all liked it ,
Saying that not much to do in theran Lol ...

kmp1
21st Nov 2006, 16:12
"Basically that I had the impression that the only thing they're after is to get a guy. Whether it is to get him in bed or to marry him to be able to retire. Any motivation in having a life of one's own? Is there life before death?"
Yes it does give this impression but no - thins is not accurate!

"That they treat and talk to each other all too often as if the other one represents the lower end of the people on this planet?"
Not accurate either - infact one of things that I have found with US airlines is they seem if anything more down to earth than European airlines since working for the airline industry is not as prestigious as it is seen as in Europe / Australia

"That they sit in uniform in a flat waiting to be called when being on call or standby or reserve or whatever it's called? And that whilst constantly using their cell phones for all the other calls? The least would be to hang around in private clothes? Or go somewhere do something? The idea of a cell phone is that it's mobile?"
Yes - we all had a big chuckle at this one.... When we have a month of reserve we are definitely NOT in uniform (unless airport standby which is only a 4 hour shift) But at home on reserve as long as you are within 4 hours of getting to the airport and contactable by phone or beeper it's fine!

"That they don't go out to see the city they basically live in or at least are based in? :sad: "
Yes - it did seem like they never left the apartment!

"That they sit at the bar and actually chat about the pilots and even find them hot when they get to the bar in their uniform wearing their hats??? And that you sit at a bar wearing your uniform in the first place? Don't you want to get rid of that the earliest? Besides the fact that the company might not like to see that (subject alcohol and flying / being on duty or representing the company)?"
Yes this one was really NOT accurate! We would get fired being in a bar or even buying alcohol if in uniform of ANY sort.... Yes the uniform get's ditched as soon as you get to the hotel room / home! We don't find pilot's hot - lol:eek:

"That the pilots wear their uniform (especially jackets) even in hotel rooms? And wear their hats even when sitting in the flight deck? Or even worse, are at a party with other colleagues - be it flight attendants or pilots - in their uniforms? And go on funerals or whatever official date it might be in their uniforms? :ooh: "
LOL - no ! but the pilot's have sometimes been guilty of keeping their trousers on and just changing their shirts to go to the bar! They never have their hat's on on the flight deck!

"That you have to arrange for your transport even when away from your home base? Or let's say take a cab of your own?"
No - a limo or van is waiting at arrivals to take us to the hotel - i've never arranged my own transport!

I watched this movie while sitting on reserve at a commuter pad with a couple of other flight attendants and we were laughing from start to finish.....
One that was really funny (besides the fact that they were all sitting around a table in uniform waiting for the phone to ring) was that their commuter pad was in the heart of San Francisco and probably run at about 4K USD a month to rent! No commuter place would ever be that luxurious or affordable! My commuter place is 1 bedroom, right near the airport, and 10 of us share it!

Anyway, I definitely wouldn't have lasted this long working for a US airline if it was like that...! There is a lot of flexability in that we can drop trips, trade trips with the computer, pick up extra trips, and the travel benefits are very very good, but there are some things I don't like about working for US airlines, and things I MUCH prefer with some of the UK and Aust airlines.:ok:
kmp1

flybywire
21st Nov 2006, 16:24
Igdie Tea have you ever seen the series "Mile High"?

Idgie Tea
22nd Nov 2006, 00:43
kmp1, thanks, glad to hear that!

Btw, I don't quite know where in Europe the airline industry is prestigious (anymore) unless you work for one of the profitable large flag carriers. Even there it's just become a job, nothing more.

So you don't find pilots hot, eh? ;) Well, well... Poor me... Don't tell my wife.

What I can get out of your reply is that apparently life isn't that much different from somewhere else in the industry aside from your nice swapping and travel / commuting possibilities. In a way it's good, it doesn't make my hair stand up or create huge inachievable desires. In another way it's sad, since I wish there were this place of greener grass and pastures. :(

And yes, the movie did make me laugh a lot, too. I'll let my sis know that she has to take it that way without making the messenger responsible for the quality. Anyway I'm glad that I could see it, it's fun.

Thanks for the replies!

Cheers,

Idgie Tea