PDA

View Full Version : instructor, atpl or not.

che turner
20th Nov 2006, 13:50
Hi I was just thinking about becoming a flying instructor. I know that a lot of you have been through this. I have passed nearly all the ppl ground school, and will have my ppl is 3 mouths. (if the powers that be,go my way) I am hoping to be a airline pilot some time, but I it will be nice to be a flight instructor for ppls. In the mean time, or as a career, I just need to fly and get paid for it . so do I need my atpls to get this far.

Thanks for your help on this one .

Whirlygig
20th Nov 2006, 14:00
In order to receive payment for giving flight instruction to PPL students, you must have a CPL at least and a Flight Instructor rating. In order to get a CPL, you must have either passed the ground exams for CPL or ATPL.

From the little you have said, I do not think you have the qualifications so I'm afraid the answer is no.

However, if you are talking about giving ground Instruction to PPLs, then I do not believe you need any qualification.

Cheers

Whirls

BigAl's
20th Nov 2006, 21:09
Hi, I am in almost exactly the same position. I am currently waiting for the wx to do my qual x c!! :E

I am thinking of doing atpl theory by distance learning with cabair (que comments!! :\... hey.. it's local!!). Anyway, back to the nav exam revision! :}

Whirlygig
20th Nov 2006, 21:20
The extra info doesn't, sadly, change my response. You need to have a CPL(A) before you can become a flight instructor IF you want to get paid for it. Then there may be some more hour building before you are a eligible to take an FI course.

If you have the ATPL ground exams, you still need to pass the CPL flight skills test and THEN do more studying and training.

The answers is NO, you do not need to have your ATPL ground exams - you could have CPL ground exams and then pass a CPL test and then go on to Flight Instructor training. But, with CPL ground exams, you could not work for an airline.

So, in your situation, you should do your ATPL exams first. But you cannot become an paid instructor until you have a commercial licence and an instructor rating. Not wishing to be funny but have you passed Air Law?!

Cheers

Whirls

BigAl's
21st Nov 2006, 10:27
Sorry... was that last question etc.. aimed at moi? :)

If so, I should have added... whilst hour building, partly in the US (inc night rating) before going onto CPL. That's the plan!

And yes, I do have air law! Fisrt solo woud have been interesting if not!

Whirlygig
21st Nov 2006, 10:49
The "Air Law" comment was directed at both of you! ;)

You cannot receive payment for Flight Instruction without a CPL (in the UK). You can get a FI rating without a CPL (but you must do at least the CPL ground exams) but you cannot be paid for any instruction work.

This is covered in Air Law at PPL level (or it was when I did it!).

Cheers

Whirls

PS - it not a mandatory requirement to have passed Air Law before first solo but most schools will insist on it as part of their own Rule Book.

BigAl's
21st Nov 2006, 14:50
Thanks whirls, all good stuff... all advice, pointers etc gratefully received! :ok:

What's your opinion on the whole hour biulding / distance learning thing? I have heard good things about Bristol.

Also, how important is it to do the majority of your training with one school?

Ta muchly,

Biggals

Whirlygig
21st Nov 2006, 16:11
As I am doing CPL(H) ground exams and there are only currently two providers for this distance learning course, I can't comment on Bristol but their reputation appears to be very good from other posts on this forum.

As a helicopter, I am in a very different position to anyone wanting to go into the airlines with regards to hour building (I'm nearly there anyway!) since my career ambitions are quite different and my hour building has been based accordingly.

I would certainly recommend you stay with one school so make your choice wisely! Is this for the flying training or ground school? Either way, I would stay with the same one unless things really go pear-shaped!

Cheers

Whirls

Impress to inflate
21st Nov 2006, 17:27
Whirls, what will you do with your CPL(H) when the ticket finaly falls on your door mat ?

kissmysquirrel
21st Nov 2006, 17:42
Hi, I am in almost exactly the same position. I am currently waiting for the wx to do my qual x c!! :E

I am thinking of doing atpl theory by distance learning with cabair (que comments!! :\... hey.. it's local!!). Anyway, back to the nav exam revision! :}

If it's local, why do distance learning? You'll find that there are two other schools which do a much better distance learning ground school (IMHO) and don't always go for the cheapest option. You know what they say, buy cheap, buy twice.

For PPL instruction, you need to have passed the instructor course and the CPL or soon-to-be new ATPL exams.

BigAl's
22nd Nov 2006, 07:49
Indeed, The problem for me is that I have to work full time to fund this flying lark! :bored:

My thinking was that even a DL course involves a classroom session at the end of every section (4 in all I beleive) so it would be far easier to nip down the road and take a week off for the class room bits.

If anyone else has any advice / thoughts on this, would be appreciated.

BigAls

che turner
22nd Nov 2006, 09:41
what is this about the new atpl exams.

are they going to change them :{

Whirlygig
22nd Nov 2006, 09:52
Yes. There will/should be a new ATPL VFR qualification although that's not likely to be of any use to someone who wants to fly the airlines.

Speak to any ground school provider and they will be able to explain.

Cheers

Whirls