PDA

View Full Version : Germany: Bomb attack planned on airliner at German Airport

Avrel
20th Nov 2006, 11:52
After listening to the German local radio and researching on the Internet, here a careful attempt to translate one article (I say careful attempt, because I do not have my dictionary with me, thus please excuse my poor English).

"German Federal Prosecutor's Office: Attack on airliner planned

20th August
According to the Federal Prosecutor's office, last summer a few terror-suspicious people started to plan a bomb attack against an airliner.

Currently there are investigations going against six known persons, who were shortly taken into custody on Friday and again set free on Saturday. One of them is still in prison because of another crime. In Rheinland-Pfalz* and Hessen* nine flats were searched on Friday. There are also investigations against unknown backers.

According to the investigators, the accused people are under suspicion of preparing a terroristic act in Germany for still unknown backers in a terrorist organisation. For the achieval of this goal, several of the accused got in touch with a person, who was having access to the restricted area of an airport. This person seemed to be willing to bring for payment a bag or suit-case filled with explosives into an airplane. Some of the accused got after that a few times in contact with the backers, without being able to negotiate the amount of their promised payment."

Source: http://www.faz.net/s/Rub28FC768942F34C5B8297CC6E16FFC8B4/Doc~E6E8CFAC0045147EDA28CB2D5AD61075C~ATpl~Ecommon~Scontent. html

Remark:
Radio stated that it should have happened at Frankfurt. Investigations against the six guys and the people behind this are going on. I just don't get, why someone working in the security area would be willing to do this.

Ptkay
20th Nov 2006, 11:58
I just don't get, why someone working in the security area would be willing to do this.

For money ???

;)

Avman
20th Nov 2006, 12:06
This quantifies why ALL airport personnel should always have to proceed through security before going airside, pilots included! Yes I know the argument that you have a lethal weapon in your hands etc., but that's not the issue. Crew uniforms are stolen all the time. If aircrew were exempt from security (and passes are easy to forge), it would be too easy for a terrorist to slip through in a stolen (or even self-made) pilot's uniform. Unfortunately, the truth is that there are still too many loopholes at many airports which allows ground personnel access airside without consistent and effective security checks.

beardy
20th Nov 2006, 12:25
Who brought the blinkered hobby horse in to the room?

grimmrad
20th Nov 2006, 14:28
Recent report by the online version of the German daily newspaper "Die Welt" indicates that El Al was the targeted airliner. (Link in German: http://www.welt.de/data/2006/11/20/1118143.html)

noflow
20th Nov 2006, 15:08
This quantifies why ALL airport personnel should always have to proceed through security before going airside, pilots included!
Link to article in English
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/G/GERMANY_AIRPLANE_PLOT?SITE=7219&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2006-11-20-09-54-00

Avman,
You've been sniffing the exhaust way too long my friend.
What we need is what ALPA has been proposing for the past 13 years. It's called a TWIC. (transport worker identification card)
The TWIC would use biometrics like a retinal scan and fingerprint to insure that noone could use the card fraudulently. There would be no need to waste time screening pilots.
We need to allow airport security to focus on the real threats.

BOAC
20th Nov 2006, 15:47
The TWIC would use biometrics like a retinal scan and fingerprint to insure that noone could use the card fraudulently- which would NOT have helped here, according to your article, but may well have 'helped' said accomplice through the screening system?

I fear we are going to get onto another 'conveyor belt' (:eek: - did I say that?) on which we go round and round over the same old scenery. There need to be changes in the way things are done but there HAS to be a system to prevent the 'wrong stuff' getting airside, whether we like it or not.

Any Pass holder, TWIC holder, policeman or Customs officer is a potential breach in our security system.

Avman
20th Nov 2006, 18:22
Avman, You've been sniffing the exhaust way too long my friend.

And with all due respect noflow my friend, I think you live in Cuckooland. BOAC has saved me the need to explain.

BarrowBoy
21st Nov 2006, 15:19
Avman,
If we are to use security then maybe some semblance of reasoned thought should be used. Earlier this week I operated 3 flights, I then had to position as a passenger. I went through security with all the other passengers & forgot I had a can of cola in my bag, security stopped me & removed it from me possession, they then rescanned my bag & allowed me through; they never attempted to remove the leatherman I always carry with me! When security procedures are so blatantly ill conceived how do you expect the people that are subject to them daily to respect them?:bored: